Need advice from Raw Feeders

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey is 14 weeks old, and doing great on Fromm's beef Fritatta. The Raw diet really intrigues me, and I am not sure I have it in me to try it, so I will keep reading and watching for posts on it.
But my dilemma is Bogeys absolute need to CHEW! I have tried the marrow bones, but he shows only minimal interest in them. I was at the petstore a week ago and a lady talked me into these large flat raw bone (they look like a wide flat rib) with no meat on them, just a little cartiledge. They are about 5 inches long and 2 inches wide. He loved them, but I noticed he was getting chunks of the bone off (very small pieces) and once the white cartilege was off (which was not much anyway) he gave it up. I was wondering about getting real beef ribs at he grocery store. They are big and I would cut as much fat off as possible. Do you think this would be a good thing for him? He has an incessent need to chew and I cannot find any commercial bones (aka nylabone/kong) that he will show the least bit of interest in. Any other suggestions?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If he gets pieces of the bone there should be at least 12 hours between kibble and bone. It takes a lot lot longer to digest bone than it does kibble and eaten close together can cause problems.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
If he gets pieces of the bone there should be at least 12 hours between kibble and bone. It takes a lot lot longer to digest bone than it does kibble and eaten close together can cause problems.

AHHAAAAA! The light bulb just went off! I am slowly understanding the raw vs. kibble diet! I did not know WHY there needed to be such time between raw and kibble, but thanks to your post, I now understand! And, it makes perfect sense!! So, I will hold off on the bones for now. With him eating 3 times a day, I can't get 12 hours in, nor am I sure I will ever be able to do that. Just a thought. And thanks for the response. Will keep reading up on it!!

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
We love antlers! They seem to satisfy the chewing need, are indestructable and don't smell. Also, they don't interfere with either kibble or raw as we currently have one bully on the kibble and one on raw. We plan on switching the second to a raw diet also but as he is new to us and going for surgery tomorrow we are going to wait until he has a chance to recover a little.

Both bullies love the antlers. We get our food from a specialty store but find the best prices for antlers at PetSmart.

Cheers & happy chewing..

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
We give our's smoked beef bones, they are called G.I. Bones. We get ours at out local feed store and I think I have seen them on Petflow too. They love them and they last a while. You do have to watch them to make sure they do not wear them down and start getting large chunks of bone. When this happens you have to take them away. The G. I Bones seem to be better than other brands to me.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.