Barf Diet..

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
What do you guys think of the Barf diet? Has anyone try this before? Is it good?
Benefits of the diet

The stool is totally different it is dry it does not smell like dog Sh… at all GARANTEED!

They don’t have that dog smell to them.

They don’t drink almost any water.

Their breath doesn’t smell.

Their teeth are always nice and white.

Their Coat is super shinny and bright.

They don’t shed as much.

They don’t pee as much.

The most important of all Longer and better life!

-
True or False?

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This is the first I have heard of it. Maybe some here can help.

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
This is the first I have heard of it. Maybe some here can help.

Oh ok. I got it from the website breeder online. It seems his pretty known breeder. Im looking at the pups and sire and dams he has. All of them look healthy and have shiny fur.
Hopefully someone here has some experience with the Barf Diet

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
That is the breeder where i got the Barf Diet receipt. It looks pretty interesting.. Any thoughts on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
The stool is totally different it is dry it does not smell like dog Sh… at all GARANTEED! False. It does smell sometimes. There's much less of it though.

They don’t have that dog smell to them. True.

They don’t drink almost any water. False. Some do and some don't and it's only good if they do

Their breath doesn’t smell. True

Their teeth are always nice and white. False. Some dogs don't chew enough bone to keep their teeth totally clean, but they do stay cleaner than with kibble.

Their Coat is super shinny and bright. True.

They don’t shed as much. True.

They don’t pee as much. False. If they drink enough water they pee, as they should.

The most important of all Longer and better life! True in some cases.

I feed raw and wouldn't have it any other way. It's the only way to really know that you're feeding. I just got a new puppy and he is eating raw from the beginning.

OP
luis323

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
The stool is totally different it is dry it does not smell like dog Sh… at all GARANTEED! False. It does smell sometimes. There's much less of it though.

They don’t have that dog smell to them. True.

They don’t drink almost any water. False. Some do and some don't and it's only good if they do

Their breath doesn’t smell. True

Their teeth are always nice and white. False. Some dogs don't chew enough bone to keep their teeth totally clean, but they do stay cleaner than with kibble.

Their Coat is super shinny and bright. True.

They don’t shed as much. True.

They don’t pee as much. False. If they drink enough water they pee, as they should.

The most important of all Longer and better life! True in some cases.

I feed raw and wouldn't have it any other way. It's the only way to really know that you're feeding. I just got a new puppy and he is eating raw from the beginning.

WoW! thanks for the advice! I might feed that to my bullie if I do get it. I am not sure yet!

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I think BARF is rubbish (but still better than kibble :D). I much prefer the PMR approach to raw feeding.

Last edited:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I feed raw its sooooo much better for them! I do barf, all bones are ground due to the fact that most bully's inhale as my girl does and she had a couple choking instances so now everything is ground.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6453]ame16[/MENTION] did you feed your dog with PMR from the beginning? I just got my new puppy and I'm feeding him raw. I'm interested to know how you would feed a puppy with PMR???

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
@ame16 did you feed your dog with PMR from the beginning? I just got my new puppy and I'm feeding him raw. I'm interested to know how you would feed a puppy with PMR???

I got Elly at around 13 weeks old and started her on raw a few days later. Nevertheless, I'd take the same approach with a younger puppy as a took with her. More specifically, I'd start with largeish pieces of chicken (no smaller than a chicken quarter) and feed her about a pound a day split into 3-4 meals (with a male dog I'd probably up it to 1.5 pounds). With that in mind, puppies tend to adapt to raw better than older dogs, so I wouldn't be overly conservative in introducing a new protein; I'd start offering pork after a few good bowel movements on chicken. Don't make the mistake I made of just throwing down a slab of ribs, though...give him a few pieces of pork with his chicken meals for a couple of days, and then offer him only pork at one of his daily meals. Being overly aggressive may result in you being awakened at 3AM with an unpleasant surprise...ask me how I know, lol.

Another approach you may want to consider is letting your puppy self regulate. This would entail offering, for instance, an entire chicken and allowing him to eat until he stops. I wasn't entirely comfortable with this method, as Elly tends to be a bit of a pig, but it may be something you want to consider.

Finally, in interest of full disclosure, I have very little hands-on experience with raw feeding. In fact, I've only been at it for about two weeks. Nevertheless, I'm a bit OCD and I researched raw (and more specifically PMR) for about a year before I got Elly, so I do have some knowledge on the subject and I am comfortable that the advice I give is sound. Otherwise, I wouldn't be saying anything. :)

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
My main consern with PMR with puppies is the protein intake. I have read a few books about feeding puppies with barf and they all say that the protein intake should be lower than with adults. I feed my pup roughly half meaty bones and half mixtures with half meat and half veggies. He is only 9 weeks old, tomorrow, but has taken to raw amazingly well. I just gave him him a bone yesterday and he was really like a little wild beast.

Voiton saalis.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.