Meal Plan

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I would not grind up the bones or meat. One of the biggest perks of PMR is the physical and mental workout a dog gets from his meal. This requires ripping, tearing and chomping away at his food. Grinding up bones and meat defeats this purpose. Moreover, you run the risk of adding too much bone to his diet (remember, he should be getting 80/10/10 meat/bone/organs under PMR). Simply offer him meals large enough that he can't fit the entire thing in his mouth (I.e a whole chicken). This will force him to slow down a bit. Alternatively, you can also feed his meal frozen or partially frozen. This, too, will force him to slow down.

Like anything else, be sure to watch him while he eats. I wouldn't be overly concerned, though.

Last edited:

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Regarding regurgitation, don't be freaked out if this happens when feeding raw. This is perfectly normal. More likely than not, Winston will simply proceed to eat what he just hocked up. Fret not - he knows what he's doing. :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree with what [MENTION=6453]ame16[/MENTION] said. If you give him large cuts, then he'll be forced to chew them which will assist in cleaning his teeth/gums. Try to give him bone-in pieces that are at least the size of a chicken quarter. It's a good reference to start with.

It's a little different with boneless pieces though. Stig's a swallower too, and I either give him a bigger sized of boneless meat or I cut them up into smaller cubes.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I grind or smash everything! I don't care how big or small of a piece it is duchess swallows everything whole. We have had 2 very bad choking instances even with me monitoring her. I don't risk it! She's been on totally for for 6 months! Started her on it when she was 4 months old! Best decision I ever made! Never looked back! Definately read the yahoo forums and join a co-op. prices will be unnerving cheap. I usually aim to average $1 per lb or less! I've converted so many friends, family, and co-workers to raw after they saw the changes in duchess! I get soooo many compliments on her coat!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.