Meal Plan

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I really want to feed Winston raw. I know it will be work but I am prepared to commit to this for him, he is not enjoying his kibble at all and I want my boy to be healthy.
I am really looking for someone to give me a daily example of what they feed there bully for a week. I have been studying up on this and everyone has a different opinion of what to give other than the meat. Winston is almost 8 months and weighs 57 pounds...big boy!
I know the meat content should be 1% of their body weight, fruit and veggie 2% but I would like to know what veggies if any....oils, vitamins and whatever you use.
Would I start with just meat right away or incorporate the veggies and other stuff at the same time. I know this is asking a lot but I would feel much more confident if someone could really spell it out for me. I am so confused.
Also, Winston is not fixed...will a raw diet affect him when he gets neutured and has his hernia repaired?
I want to join that forum but I really dont know if it will give me a clear message on what is best, everyone has a different idea or opinion. Just looking for some input.

Thanks in advance for any info, personal experience you can share!

IMG_20120916_154359.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1641.jpg
    DSCN1641.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 139

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I don't know anything about raw I just wanted to wish you luck and please keep us updated on how it goes!

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Any particular reason you want to do BARF? I highly suggest you look into PMR (prey model raw). Not only is it MUCH easier, but it's also much better for Winston.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I feed modified barf to my 2 year old bully that has Hyperuricosuria. That makes him prone to develope urate bladder stones. If you ask a vet he'd say that he should be fed only Hill's or RC's prescription kibble with hardly any protein.....

I'm getting a new puppy next weekend and I'm planning on feeding him barf from the beginning.

You can find as many opinions that you can find raw feeders or just feeders, so you have to do your home work, read and read and make up your own mind how to feed your dog. Here's a link to my previous post about our raw diet. Raw feeding always seems to stir up some emotions.

Without Hyperuricosuria I would just add organs once a week and fish once a week if my dog would eat it.
But when you're just starting you should choose one source of protein and stick with that for about 2-4 weeks depending on your dogs reactions and after he's fine with that one add another and so on....If your bullys stools get too hard...feed less bone and if they're too soft add some more. A lot of times raw feeding seems just to about obsessing about stools....lol.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ople-would-try-feeding-raw-their-bullies.html

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yup, it's all about choices with raw. It only really boils down to what you believe - if there is added benefit to adding veggies/fruits. We follow the prey model, but not down to the tee. We add pumpkin sometimes, and give fruits and veggies whenever my boys see us eating some. It's very difficult to resist their puppy dog eyes when they watch you eating. Lol.

now the diet. It really depens on what meat is available at get reasonable prices. For example, I managed to get beef for about a dollar per pound, as I belong to a co-op group. Therefore we switch from beef muscle / heart / tripe, turkey, chicken quarters, duck, goat shoulder cubes, bones less pork. We add chicken feet or duck feet for extra glucose amine. It's recommended that you add omega 3s to balance the omega 6 from red meat, so add fish oil or frozen sardines, anchovies about once a week. For organs, we add them during the first week of the month, enough tht it calculates to be 10% of the diet. Other supplements that I add mainly because its popular where I live are bovine colostrum powder and some herbs that a holistic expert gave me. Of course, those aren't musts.

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oops, for more clarification, the fish oil should be every day. Frozen or fresh fish is only required about on e or twice a week. The boys also get fed twice a day, a small boneless meal in the morning and a bigger dinner with bone in the evening. Every so often often we give them boneless meals for dinner, but that's when we add pumpkin. I sometimes add a raw egg in the morning if their meal consists of chicken that day. We give them cheese sometimes as treats, which doesn't follow the prey model.

Last edited:
OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks so much everyone! I am torn but I think now I will go with the prey model once his kibble runs out. I will let you know how it goes!!!

Winstttton.jpg

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am very nervous about bones as Winston is a swallower...he chokes sometimes because he just can get food in his belly fast enough - which leads to the food coming back up. Would it be totally terrible to use a meat grinder to break down the food when using the prey model??

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.