I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Meal Plan

Quote Originally Posted by adamslater View Post
    I live in Sudbury...4 hours away. I appreciate the offer though!!
    Oh I should still be able to get you some contacts. Will send you a pm soon.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

I am very nervous about bones as Winston is a swallower...he chokes sometimes because he just can get food in his belly fast enough - which leads to the food coming back up. Would it be totally terrible to use a meat grinder to break down the food when using the prey model??

Real Name
    Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Hey just another question, @savemejeebus and @RiiSi. Would you recomend grinding up the meat? I have seen and heard of people doing this and was wondering if this is a good idea. It would make me rest at ease if I knew he couldn't choke on the bones.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

I would not grind up the bones or meat. One of the biggest perks of PMR is the physical and mental workout a dog gets from his meal. This requires ripping, tearing and chomping away at his food. Grinding up bones and meat defeats this purpose. Moreover, you run the risk of adding too much bone to his diet (remember, he should be getting 80/10/10 meat/bone/organs under PMR). Simply offer him meals large enough that he can't fit the entire thing in his mouth (I.e a whole chicken). This will force him to slow down a bit. Alternatively, you can also feed his meal frozen or partially frozen. This, too, will force him to slow down.

Like anything else, be sure to watch him while he eats. I wouldn't be overly concerned, though.
    Last edited by ame16; 01-09-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

Regarding regurgitation, don't be freaked out if this happens when feeding raw. This is perfectly normal. More likely than not, Winston will simply proceed to eat what he just hocked up. Fret not - he knows what he's doing.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree with what @ame16 said. If you give him large cuts, then he'll be forced to chew them which will assist in cleaning his teeth/gums. Try to give him bone-in pieces that are at least the size of a chicken quarter. It's a good reference to start with.

It's a little different with boneless pieces though. Stig's a swallower too, and I either give him a bigger sized of boneless meat or I cut them up into smaller cubes.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

I grind or smash everything! I don't care how big or small of a piece it is duchess swallows everything whole. We have had 2 very bad choking instances even with me monitoring her. I don't risk it! She's been on totally for for 6 months! Started her on it when she was 4 months old! Best decision I ever made! Never looked back! Definately read the yahoo forums and join a co-op. prices will be unnerving cheap. I usually aim to average $1 per lb or less! I've converted so many friends, family, and co-workers to raw after they saw the changes in duchess! I get soooo many compliments on her coat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads