Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elly's First Raw Meal (Pics!)

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

Default Elly's First Raw Meal (Pics!)

When I began researching raw diets about a year ago, I quickly settled on a PMR approach. Admittiedly, I was a bit nervous. It's one thing to read up about it; it's a completely different thing to start doing it yourself! But all my worries were quickly put at ease. After about five minutes of circling her "prey" and another minute or so of licking it, Elly's instincts finally kicked in and she had a blast! Take a look for yourself.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_1786-jpg  

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Elly's First Raw Meal (Pics!)

Too cute! She looks so small compared to the chicken quarter.

So did she eat the whole thing? I remember when Stig first started, he kept on licking too and then figured it out a couple of minutes after what to do with the chicken frame. With Punkin, he didn't even know what to do, so he left his for the evening. The next morning I think the hunger took over and he finally started chewing off the pieces.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    Too cute! She looks so small compared to the chicken quarter.

So did she eat the whole thing? I remember when Stig first started, he kept on licking too and then figured it out a couple of minutes after what to do with the chicken frame. With Punkin, he didn't even know what to do, so he left his for the evening. The next morning I think the hunger took over and he finally started chewing off the pieces.
    She ate about 1/3 of it (she had her last kibble meal that morning) and then kept trying to hide the rest (bully puppies are surprisingly quick, lol). I gave it to her the next morning and she finished it. I'm SO impressed with how easily she took to raw. She uses her feet, chomps the bones down, doesn't inhale, etc. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with her being a puppy, but it made things a lot easier for me nonetheless.

Dog Park Attendant TonkaTruck28's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Ok raw is definitely starting to intrigue me... What do you guys do for the whole disinfecting situation now that its all over her paws? Thats the part that gets me!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Clever girl, she knows what's good for her!

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonkaTruck28 View Post
    Ok raw is definitely starting to intrigue me... What do you guys do for the whole disinfecting situation now that its all over her paws? Thats the part that gets me!
    I'm a germaphobe, so this, too, was troubling to me. What finally got me over the psychological hurdle was discovering that kibble contains similar levels of salmonella (Remember the huge recall on Blue Buffalo a few years ago?) Moreover, dogs are better equipped to handle bacteria than we are. For instance, they have enzymes in their saliva that kills a lot of the nasties.

So with that said, I just rinse her face and paws off with a mild dish detergent mixed with lots of water. I'm looking for better options, as I don't like using the detergent, but this seems to be working fine for the time being.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ame16 View Post
    I'm a germaphobe, so this, too, was troubling to me. What finally got me over the psychological hurdle was discovering that kibble contains similar levels of salmonella (Remember the huge recall on Blue Buffalo a few years ago?) Moreover, dogs are better equipped to handle bacteria than we are. For instance, they have enzymes in their saliva that kills a lot of the nasties.

So with that said, I just rinse her face and paws off with a mild dish detergent mixed with lots of water. I'm looking for better options, as I don't like using the detergent, but this seems to be working fine for the time being.
    I'm more worried about my immune system and my nephew if Tonka is dragging more of these germs all over. Also, where/how/in what are you guys feeding your dogs to keep the mess "contained". I fed Tonka a meaty marrow bone once in his X pen and he dragged it all over that thing and I had to disinfect eeeeeverything.

Alaskasmom1

Chlorox wipes work fine in the feet and in the feeding area after the meal. Been feeding this for a long time. I never leave the food out though if they don't eat it all or if they don't want it right then. Slide dish and all in a Walmart bag, slide that in another Walmart bag, refridgerate.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Harper Jiggs
    Likes (Received)

We are going to be doing the raw feeding with our new puppy when we get him. The breeder feeds hers raw and has no problems with allergies and they are beautiful and healthy. I can't wait to try it although a little nervous too.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonkaTruck28 View Post
    I'm more worried about my immune system and my nephew if Tonka is dragging more of these germs all over. Also, where/how/in what are you guys feeding your dogs to keep the mess "contained". I fed Tonka a meaty marrow bone once in his X pen and he dragged it all over that thing and I had to disinfect eeeeeverything.
    I wouldn't worry about it any more than you worry about handling raw meat for yourself. Just use common sense, wipe down the area, and teach Tonka to eat to a confined space (Elly picked up on the fact she has to stay on her towel very quickly...I've since moved to a plastic mat, as it's easier to clean). If he doesn't stay in his spot, you can try feeding him in his crate. What I'd do, though, is put a a towel or mat or whatever you want him to eat on in the crate with him. This way he gets the idea that he needs to keep his food on that mat. Over time, you should be able to let him out of the crate without any issues of him dragging the food all over.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

Also, you guys interested in starting on raw should check out the Yahoo Raw Feeding group. It's pretty much the mecca for PMR (prey model raw). You can also join them on FB.

Be warned, though, that the atmosphere there is decidedly less "friendly" than it is here. That's not to say people are mean. Quite the opposite, actually. It's merely to suggest that the forum is very directed and on point. But if you read the FAQs and rules to get an idea what the group is all about, you'll be fine.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ame16 View Post
    Also, you guys interested in starting on raw should check out the Yahoo Raw Feeding group. It's pretty much the mecca for PMR (prey model raw). You can also join them on FB.

Be warned, though, that the atmosphere there is decidedly less "friendly" than it is here. That's not to say people are mean. Quite the opposite, actually. It's merely to suggest that the forum is very directed and on point. But if you read the FAQs and rules to get an idea what the group is all about, you'll be fine.
    Already awaiting approval by admin! Thanks so much for the tips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads