Elly's First Raw Meal (Pics!)

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
When I began researching raw diets about a year ago, I quickly settled on a PMR approach. Admittiedly, I was a bit nervous. It's one thing to read up about it; it's a completely different thing to start doing it yourself! But all my worries were quickly put at ease. After about five minutes of circling her "prey" and another minute or so of licking it, Elly's instincts finally kicked in and she had a blast! Take a look for yourself. :)

545161_10101082213098213_649134439_n.jpg

550921_10101082213103203_662414087_n.jpg

215606_10101082214031343_1515750802_n.jpg

150655_10101082213237933_1225119737_n.jpg

543132_10101082213148113_1885632847_n.jpg

540795_10101082213931543_953331062_n.jpg

321082_10101082214704993_2085451916_n.jpg

58272_10101082214610183_382336775_n.jpg

207749_10101082214425553_888320033_n.jpg

185928_10101082215034333_323907873_n.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 170

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Too cute! She looks so small compared to the chicken quarter. :D

So did she eat the whole thing? I remember when Stig first started, he kept on licking too and then figured it out a couple of minutes after what to do with the chicken frame. With Punkin, he didn't even know what to do, so he left his for the evening. The next morning I think the hunger took over and he finally started chewing off the pieces.

OP
ame16

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Too cute! She looks so small compared to the chicken quarter. :D

So did she eat the whole thing? I remember when Stig first started, he kept on licking too and then figured it out a couple of minutes after what to do with the chicken frame. With Punkin, he didn't even know what to do, so he left his for the evening. The next morning I think the hunger took over and he finally started chewing off the pieces.

She ate about 1/3 of it (she had her last kibble meal that morning) and then kept trying to hide the rest (bully puppies are surprisingly quick, lol). I gave it to her the next morning and she finished it. I'm SO impressed with how easily she took to raw. She uses her feet, chomps the bones down, doesn't inhale, etc. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with her being a puppy, but it made things a lot easier for me nonetheless.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Ok raw is definitely starting to intrigue me... What do you guys do for the whole disinfecting situation now that its all over her paws? Thats the part that gets me!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Clever girl, she knows what's good for her!

OP
ame16

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Ok raw is definitely starting to intrigue me... What do you guys do for the whole disinfecting situation now that its all over her paws? Thats the part that gets me!

I'm a germaphobe, so this, too, was troubling to me. What finally got me over the psychological hurdle was discovering that kibble contains similar levels of salmonella (Remember the huge recall on Blue Buffalo a few years ago?) Moreover, dogs are better equipped to handle bacteria than we are. For instance, they have enzymes in their saliva that kills a lot of the nasties.

So with that said, I just rinse her face and paws off with a mild dish detergent mixed with lots of water. I'm looking for better options, as I don't like using the detergent, but this seems to be working fine for the time being.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I'm a germaphobe, so this, too, was troubling to me. What finally got me over the psychological hurdle was discovering that kibble contains similar levels of salmonella (Remember the huge recall on Blue Buffalo a few years ago?) Moreover, dogs are better equipped to handle bacteria than we are. For instance, they have enzymes in their saliva that kills a lot of the nasties.

So with that said, I just rinse her face and paws off with a mild dish detergent mixed with lots of water. I'm looking for better options, as I don't like using the detergent, but this seems to be working fine for the time being.

I'm more worried about my immune system and my nephew if Tonka is dragging more of these germs all over. Also, where/how/in what are you guys feeding your dogs to keep the mess "contained". I fed Tonka a meaty marrow bone once in his X pen and he dragged it all over that thing and I had to disinfect eeeeeverything.

A

Alaskasmom1

Chlorox wipes work fine in the feet and in the feeding area after the meal. Been feeding this for a long time. I never leave the food out though if they don't eat it all or if they don't want it right then. Slide dish and all in a Walmart bag, slide that in another Walmart bag, refridgerate.

Sandy

Aug 28, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper Jiggs
We are going to be doing the raw feeding with our new puppy when we get him. The breeder feeds hers raw and has no problems with allergies and they are beautiful and healthy. I can't wait to try it although a little nervous too.

OP
ame16

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I'm more worried about my immune system and my nephew if Tonka is dragging more of these germs all over. Also, where/how/in what are you guys feeding your dogs to keep the mess "contained". I fed Tonka a meaty marrow bone once in his X pen and he dragged it all over that thing and I had to disinfect eeeeeverything.

I wouldn't worry about it any more than you worry about handling raw meat for yourself. Just use common sense, wipe down the area, and teach Tonka to eat to a confined space (Elly picked up on the fact she has to stay on her towel very quickly...I've since moved to a plastic mat, as it's easier to clean). If he doesn't stay in his spot, you can try feeding him in his crate. What I'd do, though, is put a a towel or mat or whatever you want him to eat on in the crate with him. This way he gets the idea that he needs to keep his food on that mat. Over time, you should be able to let him out of the crate without any issues of him dragging the food all over.

OP
ame16

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Also, you guys interested in starting on raw should check out the Yahoo Raw Feeding group. It's pretty much the mecca for PMR (prey model raw). You can also join them on FB.

Be warned, though, that the atmosphere there is decidedly less "friendly" than it is here. That's not to say people are mean. Quite the opposite, actually. It's merely to suggest that the forum is very directed and on point. But if you read the FAQs and rules to get an idea what the group is all about, you'll be fine.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Also, you guys interested in starting on raw should check out the Yahoo Raw Feeding group. It's pretty much the mecca for PMR (prey model raw). You can also join them on FB.

Be warned, though, that the atmosphere there is decidedly less "friendly" than it is here. That's not to say people are mean. Quite the opposite, actually. It's merely to suggest that the forum is very directed and on point. But if you read the FAQs and rules to get an idea what the group is all about, you'll be fine.

Already awaiting approval by admin! Thanks so much for the tips!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Luckily my boys don't really use their paws when eating, unless the pieces are unusually large. We use white vinegar and water to rinse and if we feel that that's not enough, then We clean even more thoroughly with baby wipes. For the floors its the vin and water solution as well, then mop with the shark steamer every couple of days or so. My boys eat separately as stig usually finishes a lot sooner. Punks eats in the laundry room blocked with a baby gate, and stiggy in the kitchen since he learned quickly that he's not allowed to walk off with anything or his food will be taken away.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Forgot to add that similar with when you prepare your own meal from scratch, washing your hands, the counter and any bowls and utensils used are musts. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.