Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to go RAW, question about bone/calcuim and freezing meat

Default Want to go RAW, question about bone/calcuim and freezing meat

Well more of a modified raw diet, let me know what u think

I want to pre freeze all my meat just in case of parasites, my freezer goes down to -21 degrees Celsius or -5.79 degrees Fahrenheit, is there a recommended amount of time to freeze the meat at that temperature?

I’m a bit Iffy about bone at the moment, My Bowser is a gobbler he literally just inhales his food, Ive seen him choke on kibble once. So I was thinking of adding ground egg shells or a calcium supplement till I get more comfortable with the idea of my dog eating bones. IS this ok?

I also want to sprinkle a few healthy cooked veggies to get whatever extra vitamins or minerals they provide (not as a filler, just some healthy topping), Will also use a vitamin supplement.
    Let me know if there’s anything I’m missing.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Want to go RAW, question about bone/calcuim and freezing meat

I am anxiously awaiting replies, thinking of starting to raw feed as well.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Let me tag someone who may be able to help you I know @RiiSi feeds raw and I think @Davidh may but I'm not sure

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

That's cold enough. Some bacterias die in less time, but some take about 2 weeks and some just don't die. Luckily dogs can handle more bacteria than us humans. Those veggie toppings are more for your pleasure. Dogs digestive system really can't utilize those vitamins. For vitamins you should give organs about once week, liver or kidneys and some eggs.
    Bones are important, not just for calsium, but if you don't offer any bones their stools will be soft. Try giving big bones that they can only get something out from the ends. Chicken necks are good as well. Chicken or turkey wings you can, at first, hold the other end and try to make him slow down. Chicken necks Usko bites only a few times, but they go down just great. Chicken necks don't have real bone in them, so there's also not that much calsium. Check how much the multivitamin has calsium, it's not good to give too much. If the egg shells are the only calsium source the right dosage is 1 tsp/1 kilo of meat.

there is no risk of bones tearing the stomach or intestines? this is my only real fear of the raw diet.
    also I'm turning to raw because of allergies, and i don't know what he is allergic to exactly so i was thinking of starting with beef.
    Last edited by disturbedmuffin; 12-20-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

@savemejeebus is a raw feeder too

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disturbedmuffin View Post
    there is no risk of bones tearing the stomach or intestines? this is my only real fear of the raw diet.
    also I'm turning to raw because of allergies, and i don't know what he is allergic to exactly so i was thinking of starting with beef.
    From what I've read, there's never been a reported case. But to be on the safe side, I still cut off any 'suspicious' pieces. If your boy is a gobbler, it's best to give him a big piece of bone. I would start with a chicken frame or chicken quarter. This way, he'll be forced to chew. Generally, dogs do not normally chew, but if the piece is big enough, they will.

I must also add that beef bones are tricky for beginners and some aren't recommended at all due to it being too dense/strong. I would try either pork or chicken first, they're much softer.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Lucie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Liz and Amy
    Likes (Received)

I started the ladies on chicken leg quarters. They really enjoy crunching on those bones. It us also good for building healthy teeth and gums. If you want to add cooked veggies, make sure to chop them really small or process in a food processor (I dont bother always to cook them). If you leave the veghies too big he will eat around them. The ladies also enjoy raw veggies, but only if I hand feed them. If I put them in a bowl, they will be ignored.
    Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend. ~Corey Ford

could i start with turkey? is it beginner friendly? at the moment there is just tons of frozen turkeys in supermarkets, they are all on sale. also we have this little bird here that's a delicacy, its almost looks like a quail bird its just a bit smaller. if you think i should start with chicken i will give it a shot, i just have a gut feeling he is allergic to chicken. before finding this site, i had fed him cooked chicken, and on day 3 he started to look really red, and i panicked and stopped feeding it to him. but it could have been the yeast dying on his body? how long should i give something a try before i decide weather or not that specific meat agrees with him or not.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

If you have abundance of turkey, it's great, start with that. Or that other bird, why not. If his had reactions on chicken just skip the chicken. You try it later. Remember to check that the meats are not enhanced.

thank you for all the great tips!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

awsome your doing raw for your baby. keep us updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads