Want to go RAW, question about bone/calcuim and freezing meat

disturbedmuffin

Dec 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Well more of a modified raw diet, let me know what u think

I want to pre freeze all my meat just in case of parasites, my freezer goes down to -21 degrees Celsius or -5.79 degrees Fahrenheit, is there a recommended amount of time to freeze the meat at that temperature?

I’m a bit Iffy about bone at the moment, My Bowser is a gobbler he literally just inhales his food, Ive seen him choke on kibble once. So I was thinking of adding ground egg shells or a calcium supplement till I get more comfortable with the idea of my dog eating bones. IS this ok?

I also want to sprinkle a few healthy cooked veggies to get whatever extra vitamins or minerals they provide (not as a filler, just some healthy topping), Will also use a vitamin supplement.
Let me know if there’s anything I’m missing.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I am anxiously awaiting replies, thinking of starting to raw feed as well.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Let me tag someone who may be able to help you I know [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] feeds raw and I think [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] may but I'm not sure

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That's cold enough. Some bacterias die in less time, but some take about 2 weeks and some just don't die. Luckily dogs can handle more bacteria than us humans. Those veggie toppings are more for your pleasure. Dogs digestive system really can't utilize those vitamins. For vitamins you should give organs about once week, liver or kidneys and some eggs.
Bones are important, not just for calsium, but if you don't offer any bones their stools will be soft. Try giving big bones that they can only get something out from the ends. Chicken necks are good as well. Chicken or turkey wings you can, at first, hold the other end and try to make him slow down. Chicken necks Usko bites only a few times, but they go down just great. Chicken necks don't have real bone in them, so there's also not that much calsium. Check how much the multivitamin has calsium, it's not good to give too much. If the egg shells are the only calsium source the right dosage is 1 tsp/1 kilo of meat.

OP
disturbedmuffin

disturbedmuffin

Dec 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
there is no risk of bones tearing the stomach or intestines? this is my only real fear of the raw diet.
also I'm turning to raw because of allergies, and i don't know what he is allergic to exactly so i was thinking of starting with beef.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] is a raw feeder too

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
there is no risk of bones tearing the stomach or intestines? this is my only real fear of the raw diet.
also I'm turning to raw because of allergies, and i don't know what he is allergic to exactly so i was thinking of starting with beef.

From what I've read, there's never been a reported case. But to be on the safe side, I still cut off any 'suspicious' pieces. If your boy is a gobbler, it's best to give him a big piece of bone. I would start with a chicken frame or chicken quarter. This way, he'll be forced to chew. Generally, dogs do not normally chew, but if the piece is big enough, they will.

I must also add that beef bones are tricky for beginners and some aren't recommended at all due to it being too dense/strong. I would try either pork or chicken first, they're much softer.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I started the ladies on chicken leg quarters. They really enjoy crunching on those bones. It us also good for building healthy teeth and gums. If you want to add cooked veggies, make sure to chop them really small or process in a food processor (I dont bother always to cook them). If you leave the veghies too big he will eat around them. The ladies also enjoy raw veggies, but only if I hand feed them. If I put them in a bowl, they will be ignored.

OP
disturbedmuffin

disturbedmuffin

Dec 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
could i start with turkey? is it beginner friendly? at the moment there is just tons of frozen turkeys in supermarkets, they are all on sale. also we have this little bird here that's a delicacy, its almost looks like a quail bird its just a bit smaller. if you think i should start with chicken i will give it a shot, i just have a gut feeling he is allergic to chicken. before finding this site, i had fed him cooked chicken, and on day 3 he started to look really red, and i panicked and stopped feeding it to him. but it could have been the yeast dying on his body? how long should i give something a try before i decide weather or not that specific meat agrees with him or not.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If you have abundance of turkey, it's great, start with that. Or that other bird, why not. If his had reactions on chicken just skip the chicken. You try it later. Remember to check that the meats are not enhanced.

Sampson

Jan 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Avoid any machine cut bones. They tend to be sharper and more dangerous in terms of intestinal perforation. And start with a poultry then work your way up to red meat. Some dogs can have allergies to kibble with chicken but not raw chicken. And there is other poultry besides chicken.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online