To start a line or not that is the question

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Hmm well as some know I feed porky kibbles n bits (horrible I know) she doesn't like any of the LI dog foods or really any other dog food on the market :(!!!! Yeast is a big problem n do to her food choices it's daily cleanings to keep the yeast at bay!!!!!! I have been thinking though so many bullies have bad food allergies n r so limited on their food choices that they eat the same things day after day ;) lightbulb!!!!!!! I'm unemployed n looking for ways to make $$ from home n help others at the same time sooo I've been thinking of starting a dehydrated dog food line aimed primarily at bullies but also be affordable :)!!! I know there r already dehydrated foods on the market but they r almost all very pricy!!!! My thoughts were starting with a fish (trout, salmon, etc) chunk it n dehydrate it add some apples n sweet potatoes n other various veggies that r good for our fur babies!!!!!! I have a butcher shop that is Fda regulated in town that I'm sure I could get deals on all my protein ingredients n come spring ill grow all my own veggies n plant some apple trees :) I have a lot of planning left to do b4 I go ahead with this butttt I want some input from my EBN friends do u think this is a good idea that will work n does anyone have any combo ideas :)!!!!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I have had that same thought a time or 2 myself in the past year. I would recommend first you do your research. There is a nutritional balance that has to be kept either through balancing the meals or adding supplements. I wasn't planning on saying anything to anyone here until I was finished but 2 months ago I started a canine nutrition certification program. You might want to look into something like that before you begin. The certification won't get you a job in a vets office or hospital, but it will give you the foundation you'll need in dealing with dog food.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Ahhh thank u n see that is why I asked bcuz I had absolutely no idea that kind of thing was offered :) I think I will look into that n talk to some vets too!!! Where did you go to find the program??

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I know a few rawfeeders in my area that prepare food and sell them locally. Some even do customized orders according to what each pooch can eat. Hope it all works out for you!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
every pet food company started with just that first thought, I wish you the best of luck and all the success in the world!!!!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I think that would be super awesome if you did that!! You'd get my vote! And you know there are plenty of bully mommies that will even consider paying for fresh frozen healthy foods delivered weekly LOL (just saying).

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Ahhh thank u n see that is why I asked bcuz I had absolutely no idea that kind of thing was offered :) I think I will look into that n talk to some vets too!!! Where did you go to find the program??

I had talked to Abby's nutritionist about it and she recommended a couple of places. I was still working at the time that I signed up so I went for the online course. I will PM you the link.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh man this would be awsome. im not the best cook and dont have the time all the time to homecook for sarah and your right all the good human grade dog food is very pricey. also with sarahs allergies i have a hard time even finding freeze dried or dehydrated food she can eat. kudos to you for trying to this. :2thumbs:

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Thank u :) n thanks to [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] as soon as taxes come back I'm going to enroll in the certification program!! I spoke to her vet this morning and she told me call whenever n they will get me an appointment with their nutritionist!!!! I think I'm going to first try some things with porky n see how she takes to it lol!! I just have to make sure roger doesn't hijack it on me lol at first he was hesitant saying I'm getting in over my head but then in reminded him of Oscar (the very large butcher/smokehouse in town) n he agreed he would probably help me out so he was coming up with things last night even mentioned doing something with the deer we have in the freezer!!!!! I've never heard of a venison allergy so I'm thinking that may be a wonderful start!!!!! Maybe even bear, rabbit, etc I love to hunt so I could even go as far as hunting for all the protein :)!!!!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
as soon as taxes come back I'm going to enroll in the certification program!!

Good for you! Obviously only one of the courses that I sent you (the more expensive one) will certify you to work in a doctors office but the other one will give you all that you need to know to get started. As I said, I had planned on doing both since one is medically focused while the other is a more holistic approach. Either course you choose will get you on a great path.

I wish you all the luck in the world. I can't wait to hear more as your business grows :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a great idea to me! :up: I cannot wait to hear how your girl does on it!! When will you start with her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I'm getting my moms dehydrator this weekend :) so I'm hoping Sunday I can get some stuff started for next week!!! I'm excited about it I will keep everyone updated n even post pics n timelines n stuff especially if its not to hard lol

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
You may have something there especially with the more exotic game meat, if you can sell them for a decent price. There are a lot of raw feeders and home cookers (me included) who would be interested in providing a more varies diet to our ladies. I mean my ladies, of course. Right now they get lots and lots of chicken because I get that for the best price.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Unfortunately I ended up catching something this week either a cold or flu :( so I didn't try the dehydrator butttttt yesterday roger bought her blue buffalo white fish n brown rice n she likes it enough that she pushed her bowl all around the kitchen to get every last morsel lol :D soooo I think once I'm better ill still try the dehydrating butttt for now I'm so glad we got the kibbles n bits out of the house!!!!!!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online