LOL I went RAW!

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
So after trying a million different foods, including prescriptions. I decided to try raw with Reilly. When I went to the pet store today they told me to either try the Instinct freezer patties or Stella & Chewys freeze DRIED to start. I went with the Stella & Chewys beef. Tried just one patty tonight mixed with Natural balance lamb and rice (best dry formula he can tolerate). Has anyone ever tried Stella and Chewys beef freeze dried? Its sooooo expensive. Think i'm just going to do 1-2 patties mixed with dry food for about a month to see how it goes. Then I may go 100% raw with the Instinct Beef or Lamb. I need opinions on both of these options please! I feel like I don't know what I'm doing over here!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We personally went cold turkey (no pun intended :)) when we switched to raw.

Also...if you are willing to shop around and deal with fresh raw meat you can always buy your meat from the grocery store or butcher. It's fun cause once your bully is established on raw you can switch it up and go for the deals!

Good luck with it!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I used natures variety frozen raw for about two months. Good product but I was spending $80-$100 per week for one bully! I then talked to people here and others forums and joined a couple co-ops. I now do home pre-pared raw it was a bit intimidating at first but now is a breeze and my bully loves it. I've been doing home pre-pared raw for about three months. I feed multiple proteins from a couple different sources. My cost is now down to about $1.25# as opposed to natures variety which was about $6-$7# dePending on protein. Good luck & great choice on going raw i noticed a huge difference after about 3 weeks of 100% raw I initially did kibble -raw mix but quickly migrate to 100% raw ! Let me know if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help !

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] can help here to. i havent used stella and chewys as i was advised against it as they cook their food somewhat but ive read positive reviews and some here have fed instinct raw patties but it does get expensive. i use freeze dried vital essentials ( not to be confused with the essentials in petco) with sarah and she is doing great on it they also have real raw that is much less expensive than the freeze dried.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We don't have any freeze dried patties in Finland. We do have some mixes, but I don't use them bc Usko can't have organs. The mixes here are not that expensive eather. I just feed chicken, pork or lamb with or without bone, then some beef, tripe and chicken gizzards. Sometimes eggs and I try to sneek in some veggies, but Usko doesn't like them. He can't have organs, bc his hyperuricosuria so I give him some multivitamins also. When starting with "real" raw you're should give just one protein source for about 2 weeks and then introduce one more one at the time so you'll know if something does not agree with your dog. In the beginning it could be better to give the bones grinded so the dog digestion adjustes to the bones. I give every other meal with bone and every other without. I give more bone if Uskos stools are soft and less if they become too hard.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I went cold turkey to raw! I have fed only raw chicken this wekk and this is my first week. So far, we have not had any problems. I am hoping in the next week Zeus will stop licking his red paws. I am still giving him his benedryl. His face is still pink. If he continues with the allergy symptoms, I will switch to another protein. It took him a day or two to decide how to eat the raw, but now he is anxiously waiting for me to give it to him.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i am starting to feed sarah stella and chewys with her other freeze dried as they have fruits and veggies also in the pattied and just to give her something different with her other freeze dried. i will let you know how it goes

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
So after trying a million different foods, including prescriptions. I decided to try raw with Reilly. When I went to the pet store today they told me to either try the Instinct freezer patties or Stella & Chewys freeze DRIED to start. I went with the Stella & Chewys beef. Tried just one patty tonight mixed with Natural balance lamb and rice (best dry formula he can tolerate). Has anyone ever tried Stella and Chewys beef freeze dried? Its sooooo expensive. Think i'm just going to do 1-2 patties mixed with dry food for about a month to see how it goes. Then I may go 100% raw with the Instinct Beef or Lamb. I need opinions on both of these options please! I feel like I don't know what I'm doing over here!

It is soooo much cheaper to actually just go raw with meat from the butcher or grocer's. Try shopping around to compare prices but I bet you'll see that you can get a better deal. I hope it works out for you and especially for Reilly.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I purchase from the butcher and feed all raw. Zeus is doing so much better since I stopped feeding all kibble. He has so much more energy and has not had any GI issues since I switched him and it has only been a week. He is fed twice a day and has no treats except green beans. I have my granddog every weekend and he eats Fromm Beef Frittata. Zeus does not even want to eat that any more. Dexter doesn't seem to have any allergies yet, but Zeus did not either until he was 10 months and Dexter is only 6 months. I hope he doesn't have any because I am not sure my daughter will feed raw. She thinks I have lost my mind!! LOL

Sampson

Jan 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
I did half freeze dried and half kibble for a few weeks, it caused horrible gas lol. When I switched to 100% RAW the gas disappeared. Feeding the pre made food is more expensive than the homemade, but i like to do a little of both. Also you can buy a dehydrated mix where all you do is add meat, that way I believe you don't have to weight out the bone and organ. Also freeze dried is convent for when you take your dog out of town or I you have someone else watch him/her (not all people are comfortable with giving your dog a bowl of raw meat and bones lol). And by both I mean home prepared raw and pre made raw, not kibble and raw

📰 Latest posts

Members online