Raw diet suggestions please help

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Ok guys I am a new member and looking for some advice. So I switched my 6 month old girl to raw about a month ago and she has been doing great on it ! My questions are in regards to quantity, I read the 3 % rule and she always seems hungry. So she is 6 months and weighs 39lbs she has a great waistline. I started at 1lb per day and moved up to 2lbs gradually and she no longer seems hungry. She did get a case of loose stools that I am thinking was due to over feeding so I scaled her down to about 1.5 - 1.75lbs per day broken into two feeding. Any suggestions on proper amount to feed? I currently am feeding natures variety frozen raw. I purchase the 5lb chubs but this is costly, usually between $60-$75 per week. I am looking to get a new bully baby boy and to feed them both raw at those prices would be crazy! So I am looking into home prepared raw, can anyone get started in the right direct as to what to feed to keep the diet balanced? Amounts? I currently give her a powdered probiotic with both meal and I alternate daily coconut oil and salmon oil. I will continue to give her these supplements and I will add apple cider vinegar to the mix once I start preparing the raw myself. Duchess and I will greatly appreciate any help! Hopefully I get some pics of duchess up soon!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't raw feed but the members who do will be along shortly I'm sure to help you out!!! [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I don't feed raw either, just wanted to say :welcome3: I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some more helpful advice

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I feed raw and that 2-3% of the body weight is what you should aim for even when you prepare it your self. You just have to look how your dog is doing and adjust accordingly. About what to buy and where I can't give you any tips on that or it will really be costly....maybe [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] can help you there.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
With my boys who are roughly 50lbs adult weight, I started them with 1lb and then adjusted on their weight gain/loss. For example, Punkin, who is older, tends to gain weight easier so his portions need to be monitored more closely. it also really depends on how active they are. Stig has a lot more energy than Punks so he's able to keep the weight off.

As for what to start with, a lot choose either chicken or pork, mainly because they are the cheaper of the meats. I regularly give them green tripe as a probiotic to keep the cost low. Because current meat sources lack omega 3s and high in omega 6, continuing with the salmon oil is a great idea. They work together to achieve optimum results I believe. Dont have experience with coconut oil though, but i don't see any harm in adding that if you see some improvements. So all in all, I say we spen around $50 on food for each boy a month.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.