More questions on pork

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Sorry it's been so long guys, been super busy lately!!

But, Lilly is still on her raw diet and doing well. Last time I spoke to you guys Lilly was experimenting with pork. I gave her pork neck, but that didn't last long because of the hardness of the bone. I instead started using pork spare ribs, pork tenderloin, beef liver, and beef kidney. I bought a few packs of each chopped them all up, made a meat salad with it, and then portioned it all out. I fed her pork for almost a month I'd say and to me her poo was the best it's ever been. And it definitely seemed to agree with her better then chicken. Chicken was always a gamble. Her poop was never consistent unfortunately. I also tried beef, but it is just too expensive to feed every day...She also had a tilapia that I got from the market that seemed to go down well. So I think beef, fish, and maybe some rabbit will be the wild cards to throw in the mix every now and again.

But, I wanted to make sure if maybe it was just her stomach that was adjusting to eating raw in general and now she might be able to handle chicken after all. I recently bought some more chicken to see if maybe she would tolerate it better, and yet again it gave me the same results. So I think I have finally evaluated that chicken is not for her. But the question that I have is if pork is an ok staple meat to use? Everyone I tell about Lilly's raw diet always says, "I thought pork was bad for dogs?!?" I never heard this, but it kind of sparked a curiosity to see if what they said had any real validity. Let me know what you guys think!! Thanks for reading!

hughesjo

Jun 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Hi there, I too am going through exactly what you have experienced with raw feeding different meats. I started Nelson on chicken but it has not proven to agree with Nelson either, not becasue of the poop side as that was actually good but for the scratching and large red itchy lumps and rashes that appear within a few hours of him having it!! He has been his best yet with very limited scratching from Pork, same as you but I too was wandering if it was a suitable meat to feed on a long term basis as the meat I have been getting is actually quite fatty in parts. I think some fat is good for them but not sure how much?? I am yet to try some of the other meats like rabbit, venison and beef.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Hi there, I too am going through exactly what you have experienced with raw feeding different meats. I started Nelson on chicken but it has not proven to agree with Nelson either, not becasue of the poop side as that was actually good but for the scratching and large red itchy lumps and rashes that appear within a few hours of him having it!! He has been his best yet with very limited scratching from Pork, same as you but I too was wandering if it was a suitable meat to feed on a long term basis as the meat I have been getting is actually quite fatty in parts. I think some fat is good for them but not sure how much?? I am yet to try some of the other meats like rabbit, venison and beef.

I guess the fat content depends on the cut. What I have been getting has been pretty good in terms of fat content. The spareribs, and tenderloin seems to be good candidates. If there is any kind of excess fat I just remove it. What kind of cuts have you been getting?

From what I gathered though pork is a fine meat to feed. It can though, carry some pork specific diseases that can get your dog sick. You can eradicate all of these by freezing for 2 weeks before feeding. But nutrition wise there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I actually haven't tried feeding rabbit, or anything like that either. That kind of stuff will just kinda be thrown in there a few times a month randomly to create a little variety. Too expensive to feed regularly. If your dog is still scratching after changing his/her diet, I would say it's probably being caused by something from the environment. I'm actually still having issues with her scratching, and I'm almost positive it has something to do with my apartment or seasonal allergies. Unfortunately a diet change isn't the end all in tracking down the culprit. I was kinda bummed as I was hoping it would stop her from cleaning her paws, and her yeasty ears...

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What would make pork bad for dogs and people not??? When not feeding carbs it's important for the dog to get fat for energy.
For the yeast problem I would try some pro-and prebiotics.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I guess the fat content depends on the cut. What I have been getting has been pretty good in terms of fat content. The spareribs, and tenderloin seems to be good candidates. If there is any kind of excess fat I just remove it. What kind of cuts have you been getting?

From what I gathered though pork is a fine meat to feed. It can though, carry some pork specific diseases that can get your dog sick. You can eradicate all of these by freezing for 2 weeks before feeding. But nutrition wise there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I actually haven't tried feeding rabbit, or anything like that either. That kind of stuff will just kinda be thrown in there a few times a month randomly to create a little variety. Too expensive to feed regularly. If your dog is still scratching after changing his/her diet, I would say it's probably being caused by something from the environment. I'm actually still having issues with her scratching, and I'm almost positive it has something to do with my apartment or seasonal allergies. Unfortunately a diet change isn't the end all in tracking down the culprit. I was kinda bummed as I was hoping it would stop her from cleaning her paws, and her yeasty ears...

You hit it on the dot! Pork is a great alternative to chicken if your bully seems to be allergic to it. A lot of people do, especially if chicken is scarce or expensive where they're located. And you're also correct about the freezing ... I actually freeze all my meats before serving them. I've also read that if it's human grade, then it's ok to give without freezing. I'm also in the habit of cutting off the fat if I feel that they're getting too much of it.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
What would make pork bad for dogs and people not??? When not feeding carbs it's important for the dog to get fat for energy.
For the yeast problem I would try some pro-and prebiotics.

I have no idea lol

That's why I was kind of intrigued to look into it a little more. But from what I gathered its just the parasites that people worry about.

I use yogurt a few times a week, but that hasn't done anything to rid her of the yeast. As for pre-biotics, the research I have done is that most of it is from vegetable matter...I don't supplement with any kind of plant based products as of yet, but if there is some kind of miracle plant I'd give it a shot .

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, just dug more into it because I remembered that the fear of feeding pork was discussed in other groups. The parasite that people are concerned with is called Trichinosis. This can infect both dogs and humans. But after reading, if you live in Australia, New Zealand, the U.S. and many other countries, you need not worry about it. Strict protocols on food inspection and our above par health regulations helped eradicate Trich for more than 20 years now. There are still a few cases a year but they're due to wild pigs. If you're still terrified, then freezing should take care of it.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Ok, just dug more into it because I remembered that the fear of feeding pork was discussed in other groups. The parasite that people are concerned with is called Trichinosis. This can infect both dogs and humans. But after reading, if you live in Australia, New Zealand, the U.S. and many other countries, you need not worry about it. Strict protocols on food inspection and our above par health regulations helped eradicate Trich for more than 20 years now. There are still afew cases a year but they're due to wild pigs. If you're still terrified, then freezing should take care of it.

This is also what I found. I for some reason thought that it had something to do with the nutrition of the meat that people were afraid of.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
This is also what I found. I for some reason thought that it had something to do with the nutrition of the meat that people were afraid of.

That could be it too. I've heard from a cooking show, can't remember his name, but he cooks at his home, more than 6 feet tall, and has a son and wife, that pork nowadays are a lot leaner than how they were before. But we still need to choose carefully though.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.