need some help with raw food process and when to know to switch the protien

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Barrie, Ontario -- Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
new at this and need some help -- have a 1 yr old english bulldog bernadette and just started her on raw diet. How long before i see an improvement in her skin and when will I know if she cannot tolerate this protien before i switch her to another.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Firstly you need to take it slow,feed chicken for the first 3 weeks or so ,free range if possible,transition when all is good and your dog is settled on the chicken,you could then add turkey or pork ,your goal is the red meats then organs last,it could take up to 12 months to see a turn around in the condition of your dog ,but hopefully you will see it a lot sooner ,the skin may get worse before it gets better ,unless your dog gets a constant bad stomache/runny poops /tear staining then stick to your raw feeding plan,karen

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
You mentioned in your other post that her stools are good, which is a sign that she's digesting chicken well. Make sure that you don't feed her anything except for chicken or another meat, so no yogurt, treats, veggies, etc. Remember that they need to go through a transition period where they release all the bad toxins out before they can fully benefit from the diet.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
My Emma did really well. I went from commercial to cooked meat and veg, and started cooking less and less, until I got to raw. within a couple of weeks, her energy level shot up, and very big difference in her coat in 3 months.
Good Luck- you will love the difference

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
thanks everyone for your response this helps a great deal - keep the tips coming because i do want to keep her going. She has responded to this better than any kibble i tried -- and I tried alot :) as we all have --- Im glad to know that it is a transition and I have the most patience of anyone I know but I am at this point focussed on how bernadette is reacting. Made too many knee-jerk reactions in the past which has gotten me to this point. I feel so much more empowered to know exactly whats going into her and coming out :poo: and both are good. So i will continue to be patient she goest to the vet tommorow for a recheck on her skin to make sure it does not develop into a staph infection because of her constant scratching thats whats happened in the past. So the vet is keeping an eye on her too and that makes me feel like I am still in control of this journey. Its alot more empowering doing it this way. Have a butcher in my neighbourhood that have bought my meat for years so he is giving me any backs/necks/carcasses for free and any meat at $1/lb and that $ goes to our local SPCA as he has alot of clients that buy from him this way. So its amazing how many people are turning to this method of feeding.

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
Also would like some suggestions on treats for her. As I want to keep it simple and in the same protien line until she gets used to it all. She has a kong and another funny treat toy we usually put other treats in and like a true bulldog goes crazy when she sees these toys now as they have one purpose deliver her a treat. So now that I am not feeding her anything but raw what would you suggest I give her in these treat-delivering toys. She really misses her treat time and I have put the toys away because she keeps bringing them to me and then I get the LOOK you know that LOOK :( so i cant put raw meat in them any suggestions anyone.

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
just an update took bernadetted to the vet on friday and she has an ear infection thats only her second since we got her and her skin is not a concern for the vet and does not recommend any steroids WHOO HOO! - She did recommend a carb of sweet potatoe but because I know dogs do not necessarily need carbs and I think that is where her issues have erupted from I promptly told her I would not be incorporating any additives right now until I see a full transition. I let her know that if her skin clears up and medically she is ok I will not be introducing any carbs. I however may introduce green tripe as well as some organ meat after she has a chance to adjust to this protien. I will keep you posted but so far she has gained 2 lbs the first weight gain since she went into her first heat so thats a good sign and quite acceptable for her size. So I am so glad to have discovered this and reccomend this to anyone -- Its a good way to make sure you know whats going in and out and the process of ilimating what might be the issue is much easier. I do believe this breeds skin issues is directly related to thier digestive track so thats why I started this in the first place. Thanks for all your help and I will keep you posted .

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
just an update took bernadetted to the vet on friday and she has an ear infection thats only her second since we got her and her skin is not a concern for the vet and does not recommend any steroids WHOO HOO! - She did recommend a carb of sweet potatoe but because I know dogs do not necessarily need carbs and I think that is where her issues have erupted from I promptly told her I would not be incorporating any additives right now until I see a full transition. I let her know that if her skin clears up and medically she is ok I will not be introducing any carbs. I however may introduce green tripe as well as some organ meat after she has a chance to adjust to this protien. I will keep you posted but so far she has gained 2 lbs the first weight gain since she went into her first heat so thats a good sign and quite acceptable for her size. So I am so glad to have discovered this and reccomend this to anyone -- Its a good way to make sure you know whats going in and out and the process of ilimating what might be the issue is much easier. I do believe this breeds skin issues is directly related to thier digestive track so thats why I started this in the first place. Thanks for all your help and I will keep you posted .

Oh how wonderful, thanks for the update! So glad Bernadette's feeling and looking so much better! My Punkin still gets ear infections from time to time. But I think it's because his previous owners neglected to take care of it, or just gave up after the first couple of months, that his ears were full of yeast and wax when we got him. It was so horrible that I thought he was going to have hearing problems. He's greatly improved since then.

And as for the treats, I make my own by dehydrating beef/goat/lamb lung. You can do the same with liver, but since liver should only be 5% of the diet, I would limit the amount given. With lung, you can pretty much give whenever and however much you prefer.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am so happy for you!! What great news!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
thanks for the idea for treats that sounds like a good one do you have a receipe for the dehydrated treats as I know she loved the dehyrated treats we bought from the pet food store but none of that now. Thanks for all the encouragement I would have a pack of these dogs if I had the time-- maybe when I retire that could be my new hobby :p

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
No recipe. Just slice into really thin pieces, dehydrate and serve. My bf prefers to cut the lung or liver when they're half frozen as its much easier to handle. We bought one of those professional dehydrators for around $80 a couple of years ago and it's been so worth it. You just leave it overnight and by morning they should be ready. We usually make around three or four paper bag full per batch. Which should last for about a month ... Or less if you really like to spoil them. Lol. Also they should be stored in the fridge so they'll last longer. And always use paper bags. It'll get moldy really quickly if you use plastic as they're not breathable.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I do my treats in the fridge,thinly slice the meat ,place on a plate and leave in the fridge for 4 days then when dried out store in a jar,I tried this last week,I used chicken as betsy has been having poop problems so I've gone back to basics,but have to say the treats turned out great ,I thought I would try treats this way as I Havnt got a dehydrater ,so much better than shop bought treats,karen

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I cook pork tongue and then freeze it, thaw and cut in to peaces. The consistency gets better after freezing. Chicken gizzards are good cooked as well.

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
ok so now just an update her feet are flaming red as of yesterday and she is scratching like crazy its definately causing her stress now should i switch her protien now I dont want this to get too out of control before I make the switch -- I am thinking goat as the next protien as most goats are fed grasses instead of grains and she does not tolerate any grains well at all and the chicken in her kibble seemed to give her a problem too so wasnt sure if that was going to be an issue. Too bad chicken is cheap -- please respond with words of encouragement and a prayer would do wonderfull :excited:

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
ok need some help bernadettes feet are flaming red in between her toes and the between the pads just flared up yesterday and she is scratching sooo much more so i think the chicken is not the protien for her and want to change. Again want to make sure the switch is right but I feel if i do that and it gets better then its the protien. Thought I would change to goat meat -- seems to be readily available in my area and it comes as a stew meat with bone in not that expensive and seeings as that is a protien she has never had would like to try that. Some words of encouragement that I am doing the right thing. Its so hard to see her like this again and the only releif she got yesterday and today is when she was sleeping. Benedryl doesnt do anything for her but make her sleep all day and I dont want to do that to her yet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.