need some help with raw food process and when to know to switch the protien

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yes, go ahead and switch. I changed proteins 3 days after my guys started the diet. It goes against convention but the person who told me about it said that in her 20 yrs experience, all her pooches did well with the quick switch. Bernadette will get there! :hug:

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Barrie, Ontario -- Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
thanks for the words of encouragement i will switch her to goat and see how that goes- -this is such a valuable site i am so glad i joined. Will keep you posted.:)

hughesjo

Jun 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Hi Trish, just wanted to say I too am currently going through exactly what you are doing with my 7 mth pup Nelson. I switched him to raw food nearly 4 weeks ago now and even though his scratching is definately improved from what it was on the kibble it is still causing him problems and I found exactly what you are describing with his paw also, with the chicken only he seemed to savage his right foot so bad at one point he began limping. I moved to goat next and also lamb and they seemed to work better, although still some scratching behind his front legs and one of his eyes a little goopy and red (but this goes up and down anyway). He also came out in red lumps on various parts of his body but I have stuck at it and when the chicken is not involved it is better. I am now just moving off the goat and lamb and on the pork which also seems to be working better. He can also happily eat organs (although not tried liver yet) and quite happily devours the cheaper meat products likes lambs stomach, gizzards etc.. Pork is fairly cheap here in Dubai so if it works for him I think we will be swaying toward this meat. I also feed him a fresh sardine breakfast couple of mornings a week to give him some fish. Natural yoghurt he enjoys and some mixed raw vegetables to add a bit of variety now and again to the meat. I also have a stash of mutton bones that the butcher gave me which I keep in the freezer and he gets for something to chew on when he is staring me out in the kitchen!!! He is able to handle quite a bit of bone and his poop consistency is great!! We should keep each other posted on their progess. Good luck :)

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
well we had to take her to the vet today her anal glands were swollen and she was running around like a mad dog this morning now that this is fixed we will see how she does on the goat. I will give it to her for 5 days and see what transpires and hopefully I am on the right track.

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
well just an update the goat seems to be making a difference so that is what it probably was. Going to keep her on this for a while and see how she does. Its such a guessing and waiting game but to get her back to where I can kiss her again without throwing up then i will know we are on the right track. :excited:

hughesjo

Jun 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Its good to hear the goat is working. I have moved Nelson onto pork now which seems to have been the best yet for no scratching. I intend to continue different meats like rabbit and venison, beef etc.. but at least if I can find a few options that work, even if it doesnt include chicken going forward then thats good enough for me. He is looking really good weight wise as he develops and is coat is looking more healthier by the day, I am really pleased I made the switch. I need to investigate supplements though now, as I hear that giving Omega 3 or Canola oil in the food is a good preventative measure for hip displasya.

OP
Trish

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
well its not going so good now weve had to switch her to duck and will keep going this is such a difficult process. Her coat is better feel wise but she her skin is definately not improving and we will probably look at definately getting an alergy test done as the final straw to narrow down what exactly she is not tollerating. She loves the raw part but finding what works best with her body is becoming difficult as we dont have many protiens left to try so we will keep you posted but its not fun. :(

hughesjo

Jun 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Hi Trish, sorry to hear that the chewing is not getting better. Are you sure that its food allergies and not environment allergies? I thought for a while when Nelson was getting hot spots and scratching that it was food related but the vet seems to think otherwise, he says its more likely to be environment. For e.g Nelson had rash and red lumps on inside of leg which I thought was reaction to one of the proteins but the vet said they were ant bites! Nelson developed hives all over his body recently and the vet thinks its a reaction to the bites!!

My vet was keen for me to get the allergy testing done but I have said no, even if it comes back that he is allergic to grass and sand for example I'm not going to stop him going outside and having fun being a dog! If all else fails, allergies can be managed with very low doses of steroids to improve quality of life. My vet said they are fine in very low doses even over long periods of time.

It really is a guessing game, don't give up on the raw and remember Karen said that it can take months before you see the full effect (the body has to build up the immune system).

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.