When to Feed Tripe?

daphne18

Aug 4, 2012
Houston, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
There have been similar questions posted on the forum, but I haven't seen a clear answer.

Sadie has just started a raw diet. I was wondering how much tripe I should feed her, and how often? Should it be given as a small, daily treat? Or should it be fed as a separate meal once or twice a week?

Thanks!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't know how you get your tripe, but I give it mixed with meats sometimes 2-3 times a week and sometimes less. Usko gets bored with it sometimes and then I just take a break.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
From my local rawfeeders, it's essential to include tripe into the diet whenever the pup is just starting. They argue that the extra probiotics eases the transition. No set amount, you can feed a couple of spoonfuls or more. If your pup is older, it's recommended that he gets tripe daily for a month or so to help with the detox period.

Don't forget that it's considered a meat, not an organ. Sometimes my boys gets a whole meal of just green tripe and bone, if it's the only thing that's available at the time.

Make sure it's the unprocessed green tripe though not the white bleached types you normally find in grocery stores.

OP
daphne18

daphne18

Aug 4, 2012
Houston, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Thanks so much for the information. I have been giving Sadie a little everyday, but now I will add it to every meal. I did think tripe was an organ, so I was scared that she might get diarrhea. Now, I won't worry so much. At least, I did get her the green tripe, so I am good there. Sadie is six months old and still very much a puppy. She just looks like a big girl. :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks so much for the information. I have been giving Sadie a little everyday, but now I will add it to every meal. I did think tripe was an organ, so I was scared that she might get diarrhea. Now, I won't worry so much. At least, I did get her the green tripe, so I am good there. Sadie is six months old and still very much a puppy. She just looks like a big girl. :)

It can be tricky. Did you know lung is considered a meat too? Sadie's adorable! At 6 months the detox period shouldn't be too bad, you may not even notice it at all.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.