Lilly is getting some pork!! +1 other question!!

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Started her on the pork portion now. Seems to be doing great so far, hoping her poops stay normal :begging:

First off I wanted to make sure pork necks were ok. I cut them up a lot because she was having a hard time with the bone, so I just made them big enough for her to fit in her mouth and break with her back teeth. All seems well. I picked them because most of the pork cuts had a lot of meat, and not much bone. Let me know if there is a problem with that.

When I was shopping I wanted to start getting organs, but figured it would be best to test out all the meat types first so I didn't buy any yet. I want to make sure she can handle chicken/pork/beef/fish, and then start using organs if that makes sense? Then I can track all her tolerances. Here's my grey area that I'm unsure on. If I'm feeding pork, should I feed pork organs? Basically, should the organs match the animal being fed? Can you feed beef, and chicken gizzards for example?

And last but not least is there a preferred organ donor lol? Are beef organs better then chicken for example? I know what kind of organs to look for but I have no idea how to incorporate them with the main part of the meal...Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Bump it up :D

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
When starting pork back is one protein source and if you're being careful another part is also another source of protein. Organs should be the very last one to introduce to the diet, they can really be too stong in the beginning and mess up the stomach. Gizzard is not really an organ and heart is muscle also. So it should be lung, liver or kidney. I think the doner is not important, but your dog may prefer one over another.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I've only fed my boys boneless pork so far so I'll tag @MamaAndi on this one. She's the most adventurous one out of all of us. lol.

As for the organ q. I do try to match the organs and the protein, only because I like to change the source every 3 days or so. But you can mix and match if you like.

From the yahoo rawfeeders group it seems that red meat succeeds white meat. But from some vets who fully support raw and other groups, say that red meat is full of antibiotics and that white meat should be priority. I think in the US, it's regulation that poultry should not be given hormones and antibiotics. Me, I just follow what's on sale and try to include all the protein that's available into the boys' diet. :)

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You can mix and match organs as long as it's from an animal source that you know your pup can already tolerate. That's the beauty of raw. Just take it really easy until you get a feel for what organ meats do to your dogs stomach. I learned the hard way and we had loose poo! A little bit truly does go a long way when you are talking organ meats.

As for the pork necks, we have tried those. As with anything else, just watch while she eats and if she struggles I wouldn't have the necks anymore (they can be kind of jagged). I end up using chicken liver a lot as our organ meat...mostly because it's cost effective and easy to portion out. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.