Snowy is not a huge fan of skinless chicken!?

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
I've been feeding snowy Raw for a little over a week now, at first she ate the chicken no problem without any hesitation. After about 3 days or so she seemed reluctant to eat it. I was giving her Chicken quarters and Cornish Game hen. Then i started to give her chicken Drum sticks / boneless / skinless chicken meat and chicken gizzard / ground pork and she wouldn't touch it, maybe take a couple of licks and very few bites but then put it back down..

So i decided to buy some Ground Beef which she absolutely loved, she gobbled it all up within minutes, I also gave her a steak and she gobbled that up without hesitation. So i know for a fact she loves red / grassfed meat..

The reason I prefer chicken bone is because well its cheaper, and the bones are the softest out of all bones which is needed to firm up the stool.

Are there any soft bones from a red meat / grass fed animal? I heard a lot of them such as beef the bones are really hard and will hurt/break your dogs teeth which i do not want, I just feel really safe with the chicken bones.

What do you guys suggest I do? I tried Pan searing the ground pork and she still didnt eat that, as i mentioned before she seems to really like Cornish Game Hen with the Skin on it still. whenever I feed her skinless she doesn't seem to have much of an appetite!

Raw feeding can be a pain but I know it will be worth it in the end!

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
My Emma does not care for raw chicken or turkey. Loves raw beef. So I ever slightly cook the chicken and mix a little raw beef with or put fish with chicken. She then eats it. Perhaps mix an egg with the chicken. If she eats it with skin, go for it. If she were a wild dog, she will eat the chicken with skin, nothing wrong with it.

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
My Emma does not care for raw chicken or turkey. Loves raw beef. So I ever slightly cook the chicken and mix a little raw beef with or put fish with chicken. She then eats it. Perhaps mix an egg with the chicken. If she eats it with skin, go for it. If she were a wild dog, she will eat the chicken with skin, nothing wrong with it.

Hi thanks for the tips. Ill try cooking the chicken and mixing it with some of the red meat she does like. I have tried mixing an Egg only just with the raw chicken and all she really does is lick / drink the egg yolk haha. I was taking off the skin to begin with because I read you should start with skinless meat to see your dog reacts to that, then if all is well you can add the skin and then see how she reacts from there.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Remember not to cook the bone, not even lightly. Maybe she just gets bored easily? After the beginning you need to meats from at least 3 different animals, but the more variety the better. Lamb and pork bones are the softest of red meats.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You can try sprinkling Parmesan cheese on it. That will often do the trick. The skin is where a lot of the fat is with chicken and that is probably why she likes it with the skin :)

Edited to add:

After thinking about it a minute I thought I could add something to think about. Since have only been feeding RAW for a week, you may want to stop using so many different protein choices. Stick with one for a few weeks to a month and then add one in and wait a few more weeks and then add something new. I would start with the chicken or cornish hens for month and then give another type such as beef. Just a few pieces at first and then increase.

I say this because it is going to take some time for your little one's system to adjust (just like when you switch kibble). It will keep down the instances of runny poo and tummy aches. Plus, it will give you some time to see just how much bone your baby needs for a day or week to keep his poops firm (but not rocks). It will be hard to tell how much bone you need if his tummy is upset from the different meats.

Just a thought and it is your decision!

Last edited:
OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Remember not to cook the bone, not even lightly. Maybe she just gets bored easily? After the beginning you need to meats from at least 3 different animals, but the more variety the better. Lamb and pork bones are the softest of red meats.
Yes I do not cook the bone what so ever. Yeah I think she does get bored, because at first she loved it and would get started on her food as soon as i put the bowl down.. even before I switched her to raw she was never as excited to eat her kibble, I would fill her bowl and she would slowly eat it over time, when she was younger it was a different story. I'm going to try Lamb and pork bones when the time is right :) Thanks

You can try sprinkling Parmesan cheese on it. That will often do the trick. The skin is where a lot of the fat is with chicken and that is probably why she likes it with the skin :)

Edited to add:

After thinking about it a minute I thought I could add something to think about. Since have only been feeding RAW for a week, you may want to stop using so many different protein choices. Stick with one for a few weeks to a month and then add one in and wait a few more weeks and then add something new. I would start with the chicken or cornish hens for month and then give another type such as beef. Just a few pieces at first and then increase.

I say this because it is going to take some time for your little one's system to adjust (just like when you switch kibble). It will keep down the instances of runny poo and tummy aches. Plus, it will give you some time to see just how much bone your baby needs for a day or week to keep his poops firm (but not rocks). It will be hard to tell how much bone you need if his tummy is upset from the different meats.

Just a thought and it is your decision!

Thanks for the advice! My original plan was to feed chicken for about 2-3 weeks, chicken only, but as I mentioned before she stopped eating the chicken and wouldn't really eat any of it, even if she was hungry.. So that's why I decided to buy ground pork and ground beef. Just to see if she prefers that. She didnt touch the ground pork... but she devoured the beef in not time. And just now I discovered that she does like chicken.. but with skin, which I dont blame her since thats my favorite part of a chicken too haha. So I'm going to stick to Game hen and chicken for now, if only Game hen was cheaper!

As for the bone I'm working on it. Game hen has considerable amount of bone so I'm going to feed her a whole game hen for breakfast and another for dinner and see how she does there. Might add a little more boneless meat If i need to.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds to me like you have it covered! Good work momma! The RAW group I belong to recommends the parm cheese so it is something to try maybe :)

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Sounds to me like you have it covered! Good work momma! The RAW group I belong to recommends the parm cheese so it is something to try maybe :)

Which group are you in? Im in rawfeeding, rawk9s, and rawmeatybones!

Im going to buy parm cheese after work today and give it a shot, hopefully itll make her love the chicken again!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I am in rawfeeding as well :) That is my fave.

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Just an update guys. Snowys has been eating a lot better the last 2 days. I might be wrong but I think she likes her chicken semi-frozen not completely thawed. I've been feeding her 2 drumsticks per meal (2 meals). Her stool looks its best that its ever looked in the last week and a half. She also eats the chicken pretty fast now, I sprinkle Parmesan Cheese and she really loves it. I do have to cut all the pieces up into bite sizes though she seems to prefer it that way, if i dont shell pick up the medium-larger chunks of meat and just drop it on the floor and pick it up and repeat this process over and over and just make a huge mess, so thats why i prefer to cut it up with my meat cleaver :) I'm excited to add some pork into in a week or two to make her meals more enjoyable and tastier :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.