Still scatching...

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Well, Lilly's poop has cleared up and is nice and hard. I started adding some yogurt to her food to try and loosen the stool. They're a bit too hard, so I figured this might help. I also started giving her chicken backs today instead of necks, so maybe that will loosen it up too. Things have been going pretty good in that department actually, but she has been really itchy still. I can't say it's more of less really, because it's like everyday is different some worse then others. But I am starting to think that she IS allergic to it. The back of her one ear is really red from scratching and I can tell it's driving her nuts. It seems to be her ears/paws/face that itch her. She's always rubbing her face, chewing all her paws, and her ears are VERY yeasty. To the point where they sound squishy and wet almost. I notice there is yeast in between all her toes too. I feel so bad for her. I just don't know if it actually IS the chicken or something maybe in the environment? My carpets in my apartment need to be changed, and hopefully we will be getting hard wood floors put in instead of carpet. The person that lived here before me had a St. Bernard and I notice when I vacuum I still see the dogs fur in the rug!! Gross I know!! I wonder if because she lays on the carpet all the time that it causes her allergies to go crazy. I want to get a test done, but I hear that they're expensive and often inconclusive and not worth the money...Ahhh what do I do?!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Is the chicken enhanced? (I can't remember if we talked about that or not).

Last edited:
OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Is the chicken enhanced? (I can't remember if we talked about that or not).

LOL!

I actually made this mistake once, and fed her a couple days worth of enhanced meat :[

But I fixed that problem, and purchased a bunch of new chicken neck/back.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hmmm...maybe just try rinsing them under water the best that you can before feeding her. That way if there is anything else that would make it itchy that will help. Or you can switch off chicken and try something else. I had an older bully that couldn't tolerate poultry. Did good on pork and beef though.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
The allergy tests done by the vets are pretty accurate...Usually with younger dogs the test may need to be redone as they get older. Its definatley worth doing it to pinpoint what she is allergic to.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
The allergy tests done by the vets are pretty accurate...Usually with younger dogs the test may need to be redone as they get older. Its definatley worth doing it to pinpoint what she is allergic to.

I just called and to perform both a food/enviromental test it's 400 dollars!! Jeez!!

She turned a year in march, is it stupid to have it done now, or should I try to pin-point it myself until she's older?

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Hmmm...maybe just try rinsing them under water the best that you can before feeding her. That way if there is anything else that would make it itchy that will help. Or you can switch off chicken and try something else. I had an older bully that couldn't tolerate poultry. Did good on pork and beef though.

What would happen to the bully with the poultry issue just wondering? Like symptom wise what did he have?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
She either had terrible constipation or runny poo, excessive drooling and scratching.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
She either had terrible constipation or runny poo, excessive drooling and scratching.

Oh, ok. I was just wondering what other kind of symptoms can arise thanks :]

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It's tough cause bullies in general have so many possible allergens. Could be environmental as well.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
It's tough cause bullies in general have so many possible allergens. Could be environmental as well.

Yeah...:crazy:

Hopefully this test will help me pin-point the main causes. So much money though jeez!! Not fair :yell:

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I just called and to perform both a food/enviromental test it's 400 dollars!! Jeez!!

She turned a year in march, is it stupid to have it done now, or should I try to pin-point it myself until she's older?

Usually waiting until 1 year is what most people do. Some allergies dont show up until 2 or maybe 3 but with the things you are describing I would have it done now. it makes things much easier for her and you! It is expensive but it saves you trouble swithcing foods which could get expesnsive and saves her itchy and licking and discomfort. Keep us posted and Im here if you need anything :) I know its diffcult to watch them lick and scratch :hug:

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
All symtpons could be different also. Sometimes paw licking is food or enviromental. Yeasty ears could be infection or caused by allergies....The test takes the guess work out and will give her some relif once you know what to avoid. I hope everything works out and she feels better :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If she has a skin infection she may need antibiotics to reset and rid of these issues. I would recommend you pick up the following products-- they work awesome and even if you still need to go to the vet for antibiotics they are great to have on hand.

Malecetic Otic-- used for regular maintainence of ears (daily to kill yeast and bacteria) squeeze a good amount into ears, massage well, wipe out access. Put on cotton ball and wipe all folds, tail pocket, under paws.

Malecetic Ultra-- use for problem areas. Has steroid in it so don't overuse. Use in same areas above but I don't recommend daily. Maybe 1x a week.

Antibacterial Antifungal shampoo like Pharmeseb. Suds up really well and let sit for at least 5 mins and rinse.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would have her skin checked for infection. Also, if you can do the testing that is great. It will give you some idea of what you are dealing with.

When I RAW fed, Gator had issues with chicken. Hotspots and yeast. Some say that when you switch to RAW there is a "detox" period but I don't remember the specs. [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] might be able to help there.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online