Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still scatching...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Default Still scatching...

Well, Lilly's poop has cleared up and is nice and hard. I started adding some yogurt to her food to try and loosen the stool. They're a bit too hard, so I figured this might help. I also started giving her chicken backs today instead of necks, so maybe that will loosen it up too. Things have been going pretty good in that department actually, but she has been really itchy still. I can't say it's more of less really, because it's like everyday is different some worse then others. But I am starting to think that she IS allergic to it. The back of her one ear is really red from scratching and I can tell it's driving her nuts. It seems to be her ears/paws/face that itch her. She's always rubbing her face, chewing all her paws, and her ears are VERY yeasty. To the point where they sound squishy and wet almost. I notice there is yeast in between all her toes too. I feel so bad for her. I just don't know if it actually IS the chicken or something maybe in the environment? My carpets in my apartment need to be changed, and hopefully we will be getting hard wood floors put in instead of carpet. The person that lived here before me had a St. Bernard and I notice when I vacuum I still see the dogs fur in the rug!! Gross I know!! I wonder if because she lays on the carpet all the time that it causes her allergies to go crazy. I want to get a test done, but I hear that they're expensive and often inconclusive and not worth the money...Ahhh what do I do?!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Still scatching...

Is the chicken enhanced? (I can't remember if we talked about that or not).
    Last edited by MamaAndi; 08-02-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAndi View Post
    Is the chicken enhanced? (I can't remember if we talked about that or not).
    LOL!

I actually made this mistake once, and fed her a couple days worth of enhanced meat :[

But I fixed that problem, and purchased a bunch of new chicken neck/back.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm...maybe just try rinsing them under water the best that you can before feeding her. That way if there is anything else that would make it itchy that will help. Or you can switch off chicken and try something else. I had an older bully that couldn't tolerate poultry. Did good on pork and beef though.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

The allergy tests done by the vets are pretty accurate...Usually with younger dogs the test may need to be redone as they get older. Its definatley worth doing it to pinpoint what she is allergic to.
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    The allergy tests done by the vets are pretty accurate...Usually with younger dogs the test may need to be redone as they get older. Its definatley worth doing it to pinpoint what she is allergic to.

I just called and to perform both a food/enviromental test it's 400 dollars!! Jeez!!

She turned a year in march, is it stupid to have it done now, or should I try to pin-point it myself until she's older?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm...maybe just try rinsing them under water the best that you can before feeding her. That way if there is anything else that would make it itchy that will help. Or you can switch off chicken and try something else. I had an older bully that couldn't tolerate poultry. Did good on pork and beef though.
    What would happen to the bully with the poultry issue just wondering? Like symptom wise what did he have?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

She either had terrible constipation or runny poo, excessive drooling and scratching.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

She either had terrible constipation or runny poo, excessive drooling and scratching.
    Oh, ok. I was just wondering what other kind of symptoms can arise thanks :]

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

It's tough cause bullies in general have so many possible allergens. Could be environmental as well.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

It's tough cause bullies in general have so many possible allergens. Could be environmental as well.
    Yeah...

Hopefully this test will help me pin-point the main causes. So much money though jeez!! Not fair

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LiLlilly View Post
    I just called and to perform both a food/enviromental test it's 400 dollars!! Jeez!!

She turned a year in march, is it stupid to have it done now, or should I try to pin-point it myself until she's older?
    Usually waiting until 1 year is what most people do. Some allergies dont show up until 2 or maybe 3 but with the things you are describing I would have it done now. it makes things much easier for her and you! It is expensive but it saves you trouble swithcing foods which could get expesnsive and saves her itchy and licking and discomfort. Keep us posted and Im here if you need anything I know its diffcult to watch them lick and scratch
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads