Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to start raw feeding Snowy, tips?

Default Going to start raw feeding Snowy, tips?

Hey everyone, I'm starting Snowy on a raw diet tomorrow, I've been reading about it for a day or two now non-stop so I think i have a pretty clear understanding.

I plan to start her off with chicken quarters / legs / thighs for the first couple of weeks as I heard this is the best source of Protein to start with. I'll also be removing the fat / skin from the chicken to begin with, but plan to add it after the first week or two if all is well.

She's about 55 pounds so I will be feeding her 2-3% of her weight. She is almost a year old so I would consider her an Adult almost so i'll be feeding her twice a day.

If all is well with the chicken in a few weeks I plan to add Venison or some type of meat that comes from a Grass fed animal since I hear those are the best but also sort of pricey which isn't a issue.

I've read that Veggies and Fruits are not necessary so I probably wont bother adding that to her meal, I'd rather just use Fruits as treats (blueberries raspberries strawberries)

I'm looking into any other raw food I can mix in with the meats, I know that raw eggs with shells are pretty healthy as well, I plan to add 1 egg to hear breakfast and dinner (if thats ok?)
    If anyone has any other recommendations on what else I can add (besides meat) that would be appreciated I want her to enjoy her food as much as possible.

I know 10% or so of the meal has to be bone so that it firms the stool up, should I put bone in every meal? Or should I feed boneless in the morning then at night bone-in? I've read about people doing this, not sure if this approach is better or add a little bit of bone to both courses? Trying to get an idea of what works best!

Also I've read that after a certain amount of time if the food is out to long you have to put it away for later? Is this true? If so how long can it be left out?

Last question, do you guys just freeze the food and just leave it outside to thaw then rinse it with water then feed when its ready? I'm trying to get an idea of how long I should leave her frozen meat outside for to allow it to thaw properly with enough time.

Here's Snowy excited to start her raw diet

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Going to start raw feeding Snowy, tips?

Jeesh, she looks good already ....
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like your on your way,if poops are runny more bone,if poops are too firm less bone,keep researching,take it slow,don't panic,and sit back and watch your bully blossom lol,karen

Do you guys know if its okay to feed Rock Cornish Game Hen? Have lots of those in my freezer

I have these kinds (image) http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/...8eb86c73ee.jpg

Or is it too much bone?

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Cornish hen is fantastic to feed probably better than chicken,as for the bone content it's always trial and error,you will soon realise how much bone your dog can handle,as with organs but organs are a long way off yet,karen

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You sound like you've pretty much got things bang on. For defrosting, I either leave it overnight and put it in the fridge before I go to work in the morning or take it out of the freezer in the morning so it's thawed completely when I get home. I don't usually rinse it with water. And for the bone percentage, you may find that giving more than 10% in the beginning ideal for her until her system adjusts to the diet. Then decrease as much as her system tolerates it after. It's also best to have some of their daily meals boneless down the road. This perception coming from how the wolf eats .... they leave the bone last, even ignore it if they feel that they fed enough. But, again, this highly depends on the dog. I know my guys will get the runs if they eat boneless for more than a day.

@EBDR35 - Snowy's beautiful! G'luck on the diet. Let us know how it goes.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Seems like you have it down pretty well. The hens are a fine food so go for it. Also, at first Snowy will likely need a little extra bone anyway. I take it out of the freezer before bed and put it in the fridge. It is thawed by morning. The rule here is if she hasn't touched it in 20 minutes, it gets wrapped up and stuck back in the fridge. I then just add it to dinner.

Good luck and keep us posted on her progress!

Thanks for all the tip guys, just got back from the market and picked up about 5 pounds of chicken quarters and another 5 pounds of boneless / skinless chicken meat. I'll be sure to feed her more bone in the beginning since she's barely getting used to it. I fed her a Cornish Game hen this morning for breakfast (about 1.2 pounds decent amount of bone btw), and for dinner I'm giving her about 1.0-1.2 pounds of boneless/ skinless meat.. Excited to see how this works out for her, i know she personally enjoys eating and chewing on it but lets see how her stomach feels, she hasn't pooped since yesterday afternoon so im anxious to see how it looks to start with..

I work full time so i think what i will do is put the meat in the refrigerator overnight, feed it in the morning, then before i leave to work throw another piece of meat in the refrigerator..then when i get home feed that piece.

I read that frozen meat will thaw out in about 4-6 hours if left in the refrigerator so this should work I hope

I plan on stocking up and buying a dedicated freezer as well Im looking for sources to buy in bulk, if anyone knows any good sources that sell bulk in Socal im all ears.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Good luck with the raw feeding! I'm late to this thread but I'm sure you will be pleased with the results

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAndi View Post
    Good luck with the raw feeding! I'm late to this thread but I'm sure you will be pleased with the results
    Thanks! Day 2 1/2 so far and everything seems good and Snowy seems happy and very active.

Question to everyone, Do any of you guys grind your meat/bones? Im thinking of that doing that to make it easier for her. Any inputs would be appreciated.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh look at that cute face!

In the beginning she'll struggle a bit with the bones. But give it a week and she'll perfect her technique. It used to take Stig 20 minutes to finish a chicken quarter, now it would be gone within a minute.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads