Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to start raw feeding Snowy, tips?

Default Re: Going to start raw feeding Snowy, tips?

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    Oh look at that cute face!

In the beginning she'll struggle a bit with the bones. But give it a week and she'll perfect her technique. It used to take Stig 20 minutes to finish a chicken quarter, now it would be gone within a minute.
    Ok ill give it a shot! i feel like she stops eating her food sometimes and just looks at me like she expects me to cut it, because i cut it the first few times. I hear grinding takes the fun out of the eating as well haha.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

I agree leave the bone. Lilly looked at me like I had 12 heads when I first fed her raw haha!! But she seriously picked it up after like 3-4 feedings and is already pro. MAKE SURE THE QUARTERS ARE NOT "ENHANCED." I made this mistake somehow and it made her poop so runny, so make sure you check whatever you're buying carefully. Sounds like you did a lot of research though so you should be good. If you do notice runny poop still, try offering chicken neck as they have a lot of bone and will firm her poop up nice because it's leaner. I personally used chicken necks first, and now I'm transitioning to backs, and then I'm going to do quarters etc. I know when I first started I used the necks, and then used a drum stick the next day and it wasn't pretty. It seemed to upset her stomach a lot more compared to the necks. But I think that's just because it was the beginning so I have no way to really know if it was the drum stick or just too early. Good luck though, and congrats in taking the plunge!! I personally love telling people I feed my dog raw. They look at me like I'm crazy, and then I tell them about it's benefits. It's kind of fun educating people about it, because I personally hate kibble now. It makes me so mad at the amount of crap they put in this food, and tell us it's all natural and great...The more people we can spread this too = more healthy/happy dogs on the planet. Which to me is an awesome thing, so good for you in doing all your research and making your pup as happy as possible

Quote Originally Posted by LiLlilly View Post
    I agree leave the bone. Lilly looked at me like I had 12 heads when I first fed her raw haha!! But she seriously picked it up after like 3-4 feedings and is already pro. MAKE SURE THE QUARTERS ARE NOT "ENHANCED." I made this mistake somehow and it made her poop so runny, so make sure you check whatever you're buying carefully. Sounds like you did a lot of research though so you should be good. If you do notice runny poop still, try offering chicken neck as they have a lot of bone and will firm her poop up nice because it's leaner. I personally used chicken necks first, and now I'm transitioning to backs, and then I'm going to do quarters etc. I know when I first started I used the necks, and then used a drum stick the next day and it wasn't pretty. It seemed to upset her stomach a lot more compared to the necks. But I think that's just because it was the beginning so I have no way to really know if it was the drum stick or just too early. Good luck though, and congrats in taking the plunge!! I personally love telling people I feed my dog raw. They look at me like I'm crazy, and then I tell them about it's benefits. It's kind of fun educating people about it, because I personally hate kibble now. It makes me so mad at the amount of crap they put in this food, and tell us it's all natural and great...The more people we can spread this too = more healthy/happy dogs on the planet. Which to me is an awesome thing, so good for you in doing all your research and making your pup as happy as possible

Hey thanks so much for the tip. She seems to be doing fine now, just a very very slow eater. She seems to eat faster when i leave the chicken skin on. I think its tastier for her. When its just boneless / skinless she takes forever and picks up her scraps of meat and drops them back down over and over! Its a pain.

I know her food is not enhanced but whats a good way to double check and see if the meat is enhanced or not?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Well I've heard you can soak it and it helps if it was enhanced but it didn't do anything when I fed Lilly enhanced...I was SUPER dumb when I did it. The bag had it in BIG letters ENHANCED lol. For some reason I thought chicken quarters were going to be hard to find, and when I saw them I got excited and through it right in the cart. It should be on the packaging and should be obvious so don't worry about having to look for it.

I just gave Lilly her first pork neck today, and she took a loooong time too. So when I fed her dinner I made sure to really cut up the bones into smaller pieces so she can get them in her mouth and chew them easier. I did this with chicken backs and chicken necks too, and she seemed to appreciate it a lot. Get yourself a meat clever, because if you don't it's gonna be a pain in the butt!! One good swing of the clever and your done, so it's worth buying in my opinion. I tried cutting up chicken quarters with a normal big knife (the one that was in scream lol) and it took me over an hour to get it all portioned out...Not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by LiLlilly View Post
    Well I've heard you can soak it and it helps if it was enhanced but it didn't do anything when I fed Lilly enhanced...I was SUPER dumb when I did it. The bag had it in BIG letters ENHANCED lol. For some reason I thought chicken quarters were going to be hard to find, and when I saw them I got excited and through it right in the cart. It should be on the packaging and should be obvious so don't worry about having to look for it.

I just gave Lilly her first pork neck today, and she took a loooong time too. So when I fed her dinner I made sure to really cut up the bones into smaller pieces so she can get them in her mouth and chew them easier. I did this with chicken backs and chicken necks too, and she seemed to appreciate it a lot. Get yourself a meat clever, because if you don't it's gonna be a pain in the butt!! One good swing of the clever and your done, so it's worth buying in my opinion. I tried cutting up chicken quarters with a normal big knife (the one that was in scream lol) and it took me over an hour to get it all portioned out...Not fun.
    Thanks I've read all the little stickers on the packages that I bought and none of them say enhanced or have more than 100mg of sodium!

I already have a meat clever, boy does it work wonders! One good swing does the job like you mentioned haha.

The pork neck you fed her, does it consist of more meat or bone? If so what would you say the ratio is? Same with the chicken backs?

Thanks!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EBDR35 View Post
    Thanks I've read all the little stickers on the packages that I bought and none of them say enhanced or have more than 100mg of sodium!

I already have a meat clever, boy does it work wonders! One good swing does the job like you mentioned haha.

The pork neck you fed her, does it consist of more meat or bone? If so what would you say the ratio is? Same with the chicken backs?

Thanks!
    Sounds like you're good to go then!!

Yes, I would say equivalent to the back or neck though. Depending on the cut it kinda varied. Some had a lot of meat, other were a big hunk of bone with some meat, so I guess it all balances out. I read online they're fine to feed, so I went with it. The thing is the bones are pretty big and really hard. Lilly is a little smaller then most bullies, so I made sure that they were nice bite size chunks she can work on. I feel like they are a bit big for any bully though, so I would honestly cut them up a bit anyways if you did feed. I could be wrong here though and they might be able to make it work. But Lilly likes to pick up her food and move it when there are big pieces which is messy, and very unsanitary to say the least. So I'm cutting regardless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads