VERY Bad News for Raw Feeders

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
As a raw feeder; honestly...I get it, I really do. Raw feeding freaks some people out and I could see why they are up in arms thinking it could be a sanitation/health issue. But...raw feeding does immense good for some of our dogs as well. I would say you run just as much of a risk with prepackaged kibble (as we have heard in the news with recalls of late) as you do with handling raw meats.

That was the exact reaction of a gal I work with who owns a toy breed. She has been having trouble with his teeth (they keep rotting and having to be taken out). I mentioned that she could try feeding him raw and the chewing involved is a great workout for the teeth and gums...I was met with "Oh no honey...I can't give him raw meat, he will get sick and it will be a mess".

So yes, I see both sides of the issue but I will still feed my dogs as I see fit! Lol

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I feed raw and will continue to feed raw. No one will dictate that. My dogs are healthier now because they are on a raw diet.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
They can vote all they want, it was the best decison I ever made was to put Emma on raw food, it saved her life. And even though my vet did not like it, even he had to agree she was healthy and beautiful after being on raw food for 3 months. as opposed to being thin, patchy hair and loose stools when she had tried every pill he put her on.
I wonder at what time during the vet career, do they forget to really be concerned about the health of the animal instead of the money. I am sure they all begin with the best of intentions, they just lose it.
Most vets will back off, when you put your foot down, take control and have proof. They would rather see you once or twice a year as opposed to never.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
They can vote all they want, it was the best decison I ever made was to put Emma on raw food, it saved her life. And even though my vet did not like it, even he had to agree she was healthy and beautiful after being on raw food for 3 months. as opposed to being thin, patchy hair and loose stools when she had tried every pill he put her on.
I wonder at what time during the vet career, do they forget to really be concerned about the health of the animal instead of the money. I am sure they all begin with the best of intentions, they just lose it.
Most vets will back off, when you put your foot down, take control and have proof. They would rather see you once or twice a year as opposed to never.

This is so true. My concern would be if it is made illegal, then you get an uppity vet who wants to turn you and you could lose your dog. That would just be horrible and senseless! I fully advocate raw, my basset does amazing on it. I think my female bully could have continued if she hadn't had all of those choking issues and I am still considering a meat grinder to negate that. I would just be afraid a vet would turn me in if they felt the "obligation" to do so, kwim?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.