Thinking about making the switch...

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Well Lilly is quite petite and is only 32lbs lol, so I've only been feeding a little over 10oz's.

Should I stop feeding her chicken too after a few days or is this something you do after she's used to eating raw? I was gonna change things monthly to make it easier for me, but is that a bad move?

UPDATE:

This morning went not so good....

She has got the RUNS! And it's not pretty what so ever. There was no blood, but just watery grossness. After she went poop, I offered her some food, but she won't eat it. This time it was quarters too and still nada. She seems hungry but just isn't into the chicken...I'm thawing out some beef now to see if she'll eat that instead. But yeah, starting to get a little worried about her eating chicken...I mean, I know you guys say its normal for their bowels to adjust but, this was gross. Like it was high pressure runs lol...Not trying to sound gross but it was serious. Maybe chicken is just a no go with her? Or should I keep trying? She hasn't even gotten to eat the quarters yet, but I think her belly kinda just turned her off to the idea of eating chicken.

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
10oz looks like a good amount.

Seeing she has tummy upset, I'd fast her for at least 12 hours, if not, a day. Her stomach needs to settle down. But don't forget to keep her hydrated, you can even put some broth in her water to entice her.

It's ok to feed her beef, just make sure there's enough bones there. I'm wondering why she's not doing so well with the chicken necks. Would you be able to tell if they're enhanced in some way? If you'd like to start with the chicken quarters, make sure to take the skin off.

Hopefully she gets better soon. :hug:

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
10oz looks like a good amount.

Seeing she has tummy upset, I'd fast her for at least 12 hours, if not, a day. Her stomach needs to settle down. But don't forget to keep her hydrated, you can even put some broth in her water to entice her.

It's ok to feed her beef, just make sure there's enough bones there. I'm wondering why she's not doing so well with the chicken necks. Would you be able to tell if they're enhanced in some way? If you'd like to start with the chicken quarters, make sure to take the skin off.

Hopefully she gets better soon. :hug:

I actually took your advice on that and took all the skin off, forgot to mention that...She wouldn't touch it. I tried searing it again to entice her a little more, but nothing. I think I am going to fast her for the day, and get some no sodium beef broth, and maybe some pedialyte to try and get something into her.

I'm just at a loss as where to go next...I was thinking about turkey, but now any kind of poultry has me worried.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I actually took your advice on that and took all the skin off, forgot to mention that...She wouldn't touch it. I tried searing it again to entice her a little more, but nothing. I think I am going to fast her for the day, and get some no sodium beef broth, and maybe some pedialyte to try and get something into her.

I'm just at a loss as where to go next...I was thinking about turkey, but now any kind of poultry has me worried.

Turkey is a poultry but it's considered a different protein. If you'd like to try that, I'd stay away from the legs for now and give her wings instead.

And you can boil your own beef to get some broth (and maybe make soup for yourself. lol). I only put about a table spoon in their water when they have the runs.

Have you joined the yahoo rawfeeding group? There's quite a few people there who started with beef. I'll research a bit and see what cuts they fed. I just want to make sure that you get the right ones since beef can get tricky.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] - did a bit of searching and the second choice after chicken for beginners is pork. They say most pork bones are ok, but try to skip necks and leg bones. Pork roasts seem to be popular.

Still researching and will add more when I find something.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
@LiLlilly - did a bit of searching and the second choice after chicken for beginners is pork. They say most pork bones are ok, but try to skip necks and leg bones. Pork roasts seem to be popular.

Still researching and will add more when I find something.

[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

Thanks so much for searching all that for me!! You seriously are a HUGE help!

I was so busy today cleaning our rugs...Lilly stunk them up, so we went out and bought a rug cleaner. I joined a "dogfood forum" too which seems to have some well informed members on raw. They're telling me to stick it out with the chicken...So, I guess I'm gonna try to stick it out with her. I just feel bad because I can tell shes kinda feeling crappy. She's lazy, but not as lazy as shes been. I just wish I knew at what point to STOP because I don't want to hurt her, or put her at risk. And not for anything I think we all know that the runs are not fun lol! I feel like she keeps looking at me like "why...why are you doing this to me?!? I loved my kibble, please just gimme a lil bit I'm starving!" :begging:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I remember when I had to fast Stig for a day his stomach was grumbling and I felt terrible. But it worked though, his poops were normal after. :yes:

Hopefully you find out what works for her. The beginning is the toughest part of rawfeeding. But once you get past it, consider yourself a master. lol.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
I remember when I had to fast Stig for a day his stomach was grumbling and I felt terrible. But it worked though, his poops were normal after. :yes:

Hopefully you find out what works for her. The beginning is the toughest part of rawfeeding. But once you get past it, consider yourself a master. lol.

She ate all her food today!! She seemed to be getting a little discouraged though, and I helped her chew the bones. Lol, no I didn't chew them for her! I just held the bigger pieces so she could experiment with her back molars. This worked great!! She picked it up instantly and ate every last bit. Very happy with her. I guess fasting them for a day really motivates them to eat before they get nothing at all. I hope like your pup Lilly will straighten out a little after today, and the poops will look a little better. Looking good though, fingers crossed!!!

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Well, how's Miss Lilly doing today? :)

Well she pooped but it was still a bit runny. It seemed less thin tough, and there were blobs of dark colored poop in there. I think it's gonna take a little time for her stomach to catch up. She wouldn't eat today either and took no interest. I left it out for her to make sure, and she just didn't want to. She was active though and had a 20min play session with her pull toys, and is napping now. I hate having to starve her...

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Awww, don't feel bad. You aren't starving her. If you were she would have gobbled that food right up! She probably isn't wanting lots of food right now till her tummy is settled.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Awww, don't feel bad. You aren't starving her. If you were she would have gobbled that food right up! She probably isn't wanting lots of food right now till her tummy is settled.

This is what I was thinking as well...She seems fine otherwise so I'm not concerned. Just can't wait to see a normal poop again lol

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
With my boys, poop colours always change. Sometimes dark and other times light.

And I agree with MamaAndi, if she's really starving, she'll eat.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.