Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about making the switch...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thinking about making the switch...

Thanks a lot for taking the time and giving me all that information!! Very kind of you :]

But, this morning things seemed a little better when she went poop but a little worse. It was whole, with some softer bits. Then she went again an hour later, and it was runny/soft and I noticed that there was some blood in there. Not a lot, but there was some. It was also very dark and I could feel bits of bone that didn't seem to be fully digested. I'm wondering if it has something to do with when she's getting food. I was doing some research and a dogs hypothalamus is more active in the morning, and should be fed once in the morning for optimal food absorption. So I'm wondering if the food at night is just sitting in her belly, and not getting used thus causing runny stools. Gave that I try this morning so we'll see if it helps. Also, I think it will get her on a more regular poop schedule which is good.

At what point should her stools start to clear up, and what should I change if it doesn't? I still didn't try the pumpkin, but don't want to introduce things that I don't know she's not allergic to. I'm just super paranoid about her allergies, and I kinda look at it the same way when I'm fixing my car. I don't like replacing too many things at once because then I don't know what the problem was, or WHAT solved it. No way of narrowing it down that way really...She seems fine otherwise though, and is really starting to enjoy it I think. I just hope her poops start solidifying...Fingers crossed!!

^^^^^
    Found a link, and it states chicken necks/backs should be avoided as a staple food because of the bone content. Apparently dogs in the wild eat bone, but not as much as it is stated by most. "Also, BARF diets advocate feeding 50% bone—this is way too much bone! Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation tells us that the bones and skin of an animal compose no more than 25% of the animal's weight (pg126). In the larger herbivores a wolf brings down, not all of the bones are consummable, which means the percentage of bone a wolf actually receives is less than 25%."

Thinking about ditching the necks (maybe throw in there when I feed meaty pieces) and just sticking with the quarters...I actually found a full piece of the spine that was undigested, and still in its normal bone form...Definitely starting to thinks its too much bone for her.
    Last edited by kazzy220; 07-15-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: removed link

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

You will see bone pieces when you start to rawfeed. After awhile their stomach catches up and you won't see any at all. I don't know if anyone can chime in about the blood in the stool though. @savemejeebus possibly?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Was it bright red blood nearing the end of her stool? If so, this is because her colon's irritated and most likely due to the soft stools ... or in layman's terms, she's pooping too much. It's the same for when us humans get diarrhea. Ick! Stig was like this in the beginning and the only way to control it is to manage her bowel movement, which, in turn, can only be done by finding the right amount of raw for her.

If the blood is dark, then that's a different story. But from the way you've described it, it's most likely due to an irritated bowel.

How much are you feeding her per day exactly? I remember the amount was the most important factor for when my guys started. If they ate even 20 ounces more than a pound, guaranteed there would be a messy cleanup after.

I'd ditch the necks too for now, start with quarters. They have 30% bone content, but at least they have more meat than necks. I only feed the really bony pieces to supplement all meat pieces, like beef hearts or tongue. Also, don't be too concerned about the 80/10/10 ratio in the beginning, let's first get a handle on controlling her stools, then you can adjust to the correct ratio. Remember that with raw, they don't need to be fed 80/10/10 daily, but rather in a period of time. So, for example, you may feed her a chicken quarter one day which has 30% bone, but then give her some boneless chicken breast the day after. It's the same for organs, you don't need to give them some everyday. I give my guys a pound of organs throughout the first week of every month because it's much simpler - easier cleanup and storage.

I know how confusing it can be seeing there are so many 'reliable' sources out there. For instance, my holistic vet who fully supports raw tells us to stay away from all beef as they're full of hormones, but then if you go to the yahoo rawfeeding group they say to feed red meat almost exclusively. Who's right? Not too sure. But I learned to just take the best from everyone of them and tweak it to what my boys' systems are comfortable with. I do set limits though, such as not feeding the same type of meat more than 3 days in a row, or chicken more than 4 days a week.
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 07-11-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Well Lilly is quite petite and is only 32lbs lol, so I've only been feeding a little over 10oz's.

Should I stop feeding her chicken too after a few days or is this something you do after she's used to eating raw? I was gonna change things monthly to make it easier for me, but is that a bad move?

UPDATE:

This morning went not so good....

She has got the RUNS! And it's not pretty what so ever. There was no blood, but just watery grossness. After she went poop, I offered her some food, but she won't eat it. This time it was quarters too and still nada. She seems hungry but just isn't into the chicken...I'm thawing out some beef now to see if she'll eat that instead. But yeah, starting to get a little worried about her eating chicken...I mean, I know you guys say its normal for their bowels to adjust but, this was gross. Like it was high pressure runs lol...Not trying to sound gross but it was serious. Maybe chicken is just a no go with her? Or should I keep trying? She hasn't even gotten to eat the quarters yet, but I think her belly kinda just turned her off to the idea of eating chicken.
    Last edited by LiLlilly; 07-11-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

10oz looks like a good amount.

Seeing she has tummy upset, I'd fast her for at least 12 hours, if not, a day. Her stomach needs to settle down. But don't forget to keep her hydrated, you can even put some broth in her water to entice her.

It's ok to feed her beef, just make sure there's enough bones there. I'm wondering why she's not doing so well with the chicken necks. Would you be able to tell if they're enhanced in some way? If you'd like to start with the chicken quarters, make sure to take the skin off.

Hopefully she gets better soon.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    10oz looks like a good amount.

Seeing she has tummy upset, I'd fast her for at least 12 hours, if not, a day. Her stomach needs to settle down. But don't forget to keep her hydrated, you can even put some broth in her water to entice her.

It's ok to feed her beef, just make sure there's enough bones there. I'm wondering why she's not doing so well with the chicken necks. Would you be able to tell if they're enhanced in some way? If you'd like to start with the chicken quarters, make sure to take the skin off.

Hopefully she gets better soon.
    I actually took your advice on that and took all the skin off, forgot to mention that...She wouldn't touch it. I tried searing it again to entice her a little more, but nothing. I think I am going to fast her for the day, and get some no sodium beef broth, and maybe some pedialyte to try and get something into her.

I'm just at a loss as where to go next...I was thinking about turkey, but now any kind of poultry has me worried.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiLlilly View Post
    I actually took your advice on that and took all the skin off, forgot to mention that...She wouldn't touch it. I tried searing it again to entice her a little more, but nothing. I think I am going to fast her for the day, and get some no sodium beef broth, and maybe some pedialyte to try and get something into her.

I'm just at a loss as where to go next...I was thinking about turkey, but now any kind of poultry has me worried.
    Turkey is a poultry but it's considered a different protein. If you'd like to try that, I'd stay away from the legs for now and give her wings instead.

And you can boil your own beef to get some broth (and maybe make soup for yourself. lol). I only put about a table spoon in their water when they have the runs.

Have you joined the yahoo rawfeeding group? There's quite a few people there who started with beef. I'll research a bit and see what cuts they fed. I just want to make sure that you get the right ones since beef can get tricky.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@LiLlilly - did a bit of searching and the second choice after chicken for beginners is pork. They say most pork bones are ok, but try to skip necks and leg bones. Pork roasts seem to be popular.

Still researching and will add more when I find something.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

@LiLlilly - did a bit of searching and the second choice after chicken for beginners is pork. They say most pork bones are ok, but try to skip necks and leg bones. Pork roasts seem to be popular.

Still researching and will add more when I find something.
    @savemejeebus

Thanks so much for searching all that for me!! You seriously are a HUGE help!

I was so busy today cleaning our rugs...Lilly stunk them up, so we went out and bought a rug cleaner. I joined a "dogfood forum" too which seems to have some well informed members on raw. They're telling me to stick it out with the chicken...So, I guess I'm gonna try to stick it out with her. I just feel bad because I can tell shes kinda feeling crappy. She's lazy, but not as lazy as shes been. I just wish I knew at what point to STOP because I don't want to hurt her, or put her at risk. And not for anything I think we all know that the runs are not fun lol! I feel like she keeps looking at me like "why...why are you doing this to me?!? I loved my kibble, please just gimme a lil bit I'm starving!"

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I remember when I had to fast Stig for a day his stomach was grumbling and I felt terrible. But it worked though, his poops were normal after.

Hopefully you find out what works for her. The beginning is the toughest part of rawfeeding. But once you get past it, consider yourself a master. lol.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

I remember when I had to fast Stig for a day his stomach was grumbling and I felt terrible. But it worked though, his poops were normal after.

Hopefully you find out what works for her. The beginning is the toughest part of rawfeeding. But once you get past it, consider yourself a master. lol.

She ate all her food today!! She seemed to be getting a little discouraged though, and I helped her chew the bones. Lol, no I didn't chew them for her! I just held the bigger pieces so she could experiment with her back molars. This worked great!! She picked it up instantly and ate every last bit. Very happy with her. I guess fasting them for a day really motivates them to eat before they get nothing at all. I hope like your pup Lilly will straighten out a little after today, and the poops will look a little better. Looking good though, fingers crossed!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@lililly - has she pooped yet?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads