Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 25

Thread: BARF diet

  1. #1
    Bulldog Walker jen74401's Avatar
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    281
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default BARF diet

    I notice everyone feeds the prey diet, does anyone do the BARF diet? I just started Beefy and Johnny on it today.

  2. #2
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bella'sMom's Avatar
    Location
    Eau Claire WI
    Posts
    3,310
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default Re: BARF diet

    I DO, not necessarily by choice. My Bella has special medications that needs to be mixed with her food and come in contact with as many particles of food as possible. So she eats the raw patties. Because her disease does not fair well with the amount of bone in the ground patties, I do have to supplement it with kibble. Her poops are perfect, firm, brown and tootsie roll like....that is how I know how well her condition is managed.

    Always with me

  3. #3
    Rescue Volunteer acarabias's Avatar
    Location
    El Paso, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,562
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: BARF diet

    so.. Johnny is home!! wow! I thought you were waiting until he was 8 weeks!! super cool!! lemme see some pics!! I did have Katara and Aldo on the barf diet from 8 weeks until 5.5 months.. I found that Aldo's eyes watered a lot, their stools were great, Katara got very sick and aspirated after I attempted to give her big pieces of chicken with bone. The vet said I needed to stop the raw. I still to this day do not know if it was even related to raw or them just not being able to chew the whole piece since before that I had ground up their protein/bone. I did add veggie mush. Aldo developed horrible tear stains, but I do think he is allergic or sensitive at least to chicken. I did love love their poops back then! I feed kibble now but I do continue raw egg and green tripe, the canned type.. I am waiting for pictures of Johnny!

    Eagerly and Nervously awaiting the homecoming of Bruno Cannoli

  4. #4
    Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,056
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: BARF diet

    Quote Originally Posted by acarabias View Post
    so.. Johnny is home!! wow! I thought you were waiting until he was 8 weeks!! super cool!! lemme see some pics!! I did have Katara and Aldo on the barf diet from 8 weeks until 5.5 months.. I found that Aldo's eyes watered a lot, their stools were great, Katara got very sick and aspirated after I attempted to give her big pieces of chicken with bone. The vet said I needed to stop the raw. I still to this day do not know if it was even related to raw or them just not being able to chew the whole piece since before that I had ground up their protein/bone. I did add veggie mush. Aldo developed horrible tear stains, but I do think he is allergic or sensitive at least to chicken. I did love love their poops back then! I feed kibble now but I do continue raw egg and green tripe, the canned type.. I am waiting for pictures of Johnny!
    Even barf is better than kibble,chicken sometimes is a culprit,if there are any symptoms of allergic reaction then the first thing I would stop is chicken and use turkey or pork as a first meat,karen

  5. #5
    Bulldog Walker jen74401's Avatar
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    281
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: BARF diet

    Quote Originally Posted by acarabias View Post
    so.. Johnny is home!! wow! I thought you were waiting until he was 8 weeks!! super cool!! lemme see some pics!! I did have Katara and Aldo on the barf diet from 8 weeks until 5.5 months.. I found that Aldo's eyes watered a lot, their stools were great, Katara got very sick and aspirated after I attempted to give her big pieces of chicken with bone. The vet said I needed to stop the raw. I still to this day do not know if it was even related to raw or them just not being able to chew the whole piece since before that I had ground up their protein/bone. I did add veggie mush. Aldo developed horrible tear stains, but I do think he is allergic or sensitive at least to chicken. I did love love their poops back then! I feed kibble now but I do continue raw egg and green tripe, the canned type.. I am waiting for pictures of Johnny!
    You know, I mentioned on fb about the guy wanting a pup. Well, he had never seen the pups but made arrangements to come see them this weekend. BUT he told her if there was a pup that looked like the mom then that was the one he wanted. Well, little Johnny was the ONLY one that looked like the mom. So, she called me and told me knowing that this little guy was the one my son really wanted. I went with her to the vet to get him checked out. He's a week younger than I had wanted but I couldn't break my sons heart if that guy took him either.

    I bought a grinder and it worked like a charm. I really hope we don't get the tear stains. I guess time will tell, they are loving it so far.

  6. #6
    Bulldog Walker jen74401's Avatar
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    281
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: BARF diet

    Quote Originally Posted by karenben View Post
    Even barf is better than kibble,chicken sometimes is a culprit,if there are any symptoms of allergic reaction then the first thing I would stop is chicken and use turkey or pork as a first meat,karen
    Beefy was having issues with a red chin and lips but I'm not sure what was causing it in the kibble. I'm hoping he doesn't have issues on this.

  7. #7
    Rescue Volunteer acarabias's Avatar
    Location
    El Paso, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,562
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: BARF diet

    ok ok.. pictures of Johnny please!! I am so glad it was you that brought him home

    Eagerly and Nervously awaiting the homecoming of Bruno Cannoli

  8. #8
    Bulldog Walker jen74401's Avatar
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    281
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: BARF diet

    Quote Originally Posted by acarabias View Post
    ok ok.. pictures of Johnny please!! I am so glad it was you that brought him home
    Did you see the video I posted on fb of him?

  9. #9
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    savemejeebus's Avatar
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    6,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    230
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: BARF diet

    A prey model feeder here but have heard great things about the barf diet too.

    Do you prepare them yourself or buy the prepackaged kinds?
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

  10. #10
    Bulldog Walker jen74401's Avatar
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    281
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: BARF diet

    Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    A prey model feeder here but have heard great things about the barf diet too.

    Do you prepare them yourself or buy the prepackaged kinds?
    Doing it myself. Was kinda funny though, we were feeding the chicken in to the grinder and it seemed to get hung up. My son grabbed a carrot and said he would help push it through. As he gave it a good push, raw chicken shot out the end and all over me and my kitchen floor. It was gross, lol.

    So far, Beefy and Johnny are absolutely loving it. Beefy use to have this smell, a smell that I can't even describe. Since on the BARF, no smell. I've got happy boys and I'm a happy mom.

  11. #11
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    savemejeebus's Avatar
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    6,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    230
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: BARF diet

    Quote Originally Posted by jen74401 View Post
    Doing it myself. Was kinda funny though, we were feeding the chicken in to the grinder and it seemed to get hung up. My son grabbed a carrot and said he would help push it through. As he gave it a good push, raw chicken shot out the end and all over me and my kitchen floor. It was gross, lol.

    So far, Beefy and Johnny are absolutely loving it. Beefy use to have this smell, a smell that I can't even describe. Since on the BARF, no smell. I've got happy boys and I'm a happy mom.
    Lol. We bought a grinder too for when we first got Punkin because we thought he wouldn't be able to chew the bones. Man, those are scary. Didn't know why it kept jamming at first then we figured out to use the coursest grain (can't remember if that's what they're called). Gotta admit they're so useful for the pieces that have really brittle bones like turkey legs. Helps us waste less plus we can actually get whol turkeys instead of just pieces.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

  12. #12
    Bulldog Walker jen74401's Avatar
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    281
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: BARF diet

    Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    Lol. We bought a grinder too for when we first got Punkin because we thought he wouldn't be able to chew the bones. Man, those are scary. Didn't know why it kept jamming at first then we figured out to use the coursest grain (can't remember if that's what they're called). Gotta admit they're so useful for the pieces that have really brittle bones like turkey legs. Helps us waste less plus we can actually get whol turkeys instead of just pieces.
    I heard they can go through a detox period, yes, no, maybe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •