BARF diet

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Delilah had a bit of a "detox"..really bad gas, face got worse for a little bit (not much, it's SO much better now than it ever was) and nasty poops. That only lasted a few days though while she adjusted.

I feed prey model..no veggies here. Delilah wouldn't eat veggies if I tried. I'm a bigger fan of prey model.

How much did you guys pay for your grinders?? I want one really bad.

I got mine at Tractor Supply for about $90.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
These dogs don't need thier feed grinding ,they need to rip and tear the meat and bone to keep thier teeth clean,exercise thier jaws and get the acids moving in thier stomache in order to digest the raw feed,hope I haven't got anyone's back up with this reply lol,karen

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Delilah had a bit of a "detox"..really bad gas, face got worse for a little bit (not much, it's SO much better now than it ever was) and nasty poops. That only lasted a few days though while she adjusted.

I feed prey model..no veggies here. Delilah wouldn't eat veggies if I tried. I'm a bigger fan of prey model.

How much did you guys pay for your grinders?? I want one really bad.

Ours was expensive, paid around $400 I believe. Only because we wanted something that can grind at least all chicken and other soft bones. The one that I got is what most deer hunters use.

But if Delillah is doing well with whole pieces, I wouldn't invest in a grinder yet. We only use ours a couple of times a year and only when we stocked up enough turkey legs. We really only use it for that purpose.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] she's gotten really lazy. I have to cut everything in pieces in order to get her to eat.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@savemejeebus she's gotten really lazy. I have to cut everything in pieces in order to get her to eat.

Delilah's such a pickle isn't she? :) From what I've read, a healthy dog will eat when they're hungry, even if they skip meals. Maybe she's just letting you know that she's not hungry? Some rawfeeders fast their doggies once a week so a day without food shouldn't be too bad for her.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] If Delilah thinks it's too much work, she won't eat even if she's hungry. When she was on kibble and decided she didn't like it anymore..she would go over a week without eating anything in protest. So not even kidding!! She's hungry, just doesn't want to put forward the work to eat it. It will take her over thirty minutes to eat a quarter. I honestly think she has a hard time. I want a grinder so I can make her some ground up meals for breakfast..then feed her a smaller meal at dinner where she has to work with the bone to eat it.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I used to fast Annie and I really saw a difference in her energy levels and she seemed more settled ,it is good for a dog to fast 1 day a week,karen

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@savemejeebus If Delilah thinks it's too much work, she won't eat even if she's hungry. When she was on kibble and decided she didn't like it anymore..she would go over a week without eating anything in protest. So not even kidding!! She's hungry, just doesn't want to put forward the work to eat it. It will take her over thirty minutes to eat a quarter. I honestly think she has a hard time. I want a grinder so I can make her some ground up meals for breakfast..then feed her a smaller meal at dinner where she has to work with the bone to eat it.

With my boys, I give them a small boneless meal for breakfast and bone-in ones in the evening. It's not necessarily ground, it's either pork pieces, green tripe, a free-range egg or some beef.

You can certainly invest on a grinder, but you'd need to get an industrial model as they're the ones that can grind through bones. I googled a bit and found this table. A Sam Baere SB-810 is also popular among BARFers.

I want to grind Weston 8 Weston 22 Weston 32 American Eagle 12 American Eagle 22
Meat Only
XX​
XX​
XX​
XX​
XX​
Chicken Meat & Bones
XX​
XX​
XX​
XX​
XX​
Duck Meat & Bones
XX​
XX​
XX​
XX​
XX​
Rabbit Meat & Bones
XX​
XX​
XX​
XX​
XX​
Turkey Meat & Bones
XX​
XX​
XX​
XX​
A LOT of Meat & Bones Per Hour
XX​
XX​

breelbosley

Aug 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
I am feeding Butter the barf diet. She is allergic to chicken so I am trying pork. Do you have to feed the bone with the meat or can I substitute the bone with vitamins?

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=5855]breelbosley[/MENTION] I'm not really sure. I would think the bone with the meat would be much better than just a supplemental vitamin, but you might want some other opinions as well.

Most Reactions