BARF diet

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I notice everyone feeds the prey diet, does anyone do the BARF diet? I just started Beefy and Johnny on it today.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I DO, not necessarily by choice. My Bella has special medications that needs to be mixed with her food and come in contact with as many particles of food as possible. So she eats the raw patties. Because her disease does not fair well with the amount of bone in the ground patties, I do have to supplement it with kibble. Her poops are perfect, firm, brown and tootsie roll like....that is how I know how well her condition is managed.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
so.. Johnny is home!! wow! I thought you were waiting until he was 8 weeks!! super cool!! lemme see some pics!! :) I did have Katara and Aldo on the barf diet from 8 weeks until 5.5 months.. I found that Aldo's eyes watered a lot, their stools were great, Katara got very sick and aspirated after I attempted to give her big pieces of chicken with bone. The vet said I needed to stop the raw. I still to this day do not know if it was even related to raw or them just not being able to chew the whole piece since before that I had ground up their protein/bone. I did add veggie mush. Aldo developed horrible tear stains, but I do think he is allergic or sensitive at least to chicken. I did love love their poops back then! I feed kibble now but I do continue raw egg and green tripe, the canned type.. I am waiting for pictures of Johnny!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
so.. Johnny is home!! wow! I thought you were waiting until he was 8 weeks!! super cool!! lemme see some pics!! :) I did have Katara and Aldo on the barf diet from 8 weeks until 5.5 months.. I found that Aldo's eyes watered a lot, their stools were great, Katara got very sick and aspirated after I attempted to give her big pieces of chicken with bone. The vet said I needed to stop the raw. I still to this day do not know if it was even related to raw or them just not being able to chew the whole piece since before that I had ground up their protein/bone. I did add veggie mush. Aldo developed horrible tear stains, but I do think he is allergic or sensitive at least to chicken. I did love love their poops back then! I feed kibble now but I do continue raw egg and green tripe, the canned type.. I am waiting for pictures of Johnny!
Even barf is better than kibble,chicken sometimes is a culprit,if there are any symptoms of allergic reaction then the first thing I would stop is chicken and use turkey or pork as a first meat,karen

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy

You know, I mentioned on fb about the guy wanting a pup. Well, he had never seen the pups but made arrangements to come see them this weekend. BUT he told her if there was a pup that looked like the mom then that was the one he wanted. Well, little Johnny was the ONLY one that looked like the mom. So, she called me and told me knowing that this little guy was the one my son really wanted. I went with her to the vet to get him checked out. He's a week younger than I had wanted but I couldn't break my sons heart if that guy took him either.

I bought a grinder and it worked like a charm. I really hope we don't get the tear stains. I guess time will tell, they are loving it so far.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Even barf is better than kibble,chicken sometimes is a culprit,if there are any symptoms of allergic reaction then the first thing I would stop is chicken and use turkey or pork as a first meat,karen

Beefy was having issues with a red chin and lips but I'm not sure what was causing it in the kibble. I'm hoping he doesn't have issues on this.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
A prey model feeder here but have heard great things about the barf diet too. :yes:

Do you prepare them yourself or buy the prepackaged kinds?

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
A prey model feeder here but have heard great things about the barf diet too. :yes:

Do you prepare them yourself or buy the prepackaged kinds?

Doing it myself. Was kinda funny though, we were feeding the chicken in to the grinder and it seemed to get hung up. My son grabbed a carrot and said he would help push it through. As he gave it a good push, raw chicken shot out the end and all over me and my kitchen floor. It was gross, lol.

So far, Beefy and Johnny are absolutely loving it. Beefy use to have this smell, a smell that I can't even describe. Since on the BARF, no smell. I've got happy boys and I'm a happy mom.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Doing it myself. Was kinda funny though, we were feeding the chicken in to the grinder and it seemed to get hung up. My son grabbed a carrot and said he would help push it through. As he gave it a good push, raw chicken shot out the end and all over me and my kitchen floor. It was gross, lol.

So far, Beefy and Johnny are absolutely loving it. Beefy use to have this smell, a smell that I can't even describe. Since on the BARF, no smell. I've got happy boys and I'm a happy mom.

Lol. We bought a grinder too for when we first got Punkin because we thought he wouldn't be able to chew the bones. Man, those are scary. Didn't know why it kept jamming at first then we figured out to use the coursest grain (can't remember if that's what they're called). Gotta admit they're so useful for the pieces that have really brittle bones like turkey legs. Helps us waste less plus we can actually get whol turkeys instead of just pieces.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Lol. We bought a grinder too for when we first got Punkin because we thought he wouldn't be able to chew the bones. Man, those are scary. Didn't know why it kept jamming at first then we figured out to use the coursest grain (can't remember if that's what they're called). Gotta admit they're so useful for the pieces that have really brittle bones like turkey legs. Helps us waste less plus we can actually get whol turkeys instead of just pieces.

I heard they can go through a detox period, yes, no, maybe? :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I heard they can go through a detox period, yes, no, maybe? :)

Yes, they can. I've heard it depends on how long they've been on kibble and the quality of it. What happens also varies. Stigs had terrible earwax for a couple of weeks. Punkin had horrible everything so we couldn't tell. Lol.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
As far as I can see we haven't had issues yet. I was worried about a detox after reading about it. I worry too much, lol

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah had a bit of a "detox"..really bad gas, face got worse for a little bit (not much, it's SO much better now than it ever was) and nasty poops. That only lasted a few days though while she adjusted.

I feed prey model..no veggies here. Delilah wouldn't eat veggies if I tried. I'm a bigger fan of prey model.

How much did you guys pay for your grinders?? I want one really bad.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.