How stupid am I ?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I cannot believe what I have just realised,Annie's itch is still bothering her so I looked again at her allergy list and I cannot believe what I have just realised,she is allergic to spelt and rye,so I googled. Both and they are the primary feed for uk farm animals,!,rye for many years and spelt since 2007,so now where do I go ,I cannot afford free range ,we don't eat free range ourselves ,I cannot believe I've been irritating her itching for 15 months!!im so angry with myself,:aaargh:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
what is spelt? Never heard of it? But don't beat yourself up! You didn't know and now you do and hopefully find something she can eat!!!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
One oversight! I would say that pales in comparison to all the things you do notice and take care of for Annie!!!

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Everyone on this forum does their absolute best for their bullies. We can't know everything so don't be upset with yourself. I know I am doing things wrong in many regards for Dublin but none of it is with intention and our beloved bullies are so allergic to so many things. We can't keep them in a bubble. Know that in Annie's eyes you can do no wrong :-)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I certainly would not call that stupidity [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] more like pure genius that you figured that one out! I certainly would have never thought of that-- EVER.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yes, don't beat yourself up. You figured it out, that's what's important. :yes:

Now to find a good source of meat ... I wonder if you can call local farms and see what they feed their livestock. Who knows, maybe they feed them something different.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I'm going to ring around some farms today,but to be honest free range anything here in the uk is just too expensive!,I really hate to admit this but may have to feed a fish based kibble,what choice do I have ,I have to feed her something!,as I said I never ever thought about the spelt which is a lowest quality grain which has been fed since 2007 ,I am against kibble feeding as you all know but will feed her anything that maybe stops her itching,I can always go back to raw if she continues to itch ,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Annie is the luckiest dog on the planet (besides my own, of course) and you are a virtual encyclopedia of holistic dog knowledge. I thank Yahweh we have you here with us. We benefit from all your research and lessons learned.

Now we all know what the hell SPELT is. I am CERTAIN that none of us had heard of that before.

Wouldn't anything consumed by an animal change in it's chemical make up once it passes thru those multiple stomachs of a cow? Besides, free range cattle probably eat LIVE spelt and rye -- just not dried and turned into feed. Are the free range just grass then? If so, my two are allergic to grass - Bo is worse than Bea - and wouldn't grass fed beef/bison/lamb whatever affect my pups?

I don't think we can control what farmers feed their stock, my friend. Maybe there's an anti itching agent -- in chamomile or something else natural? --- that you can give Annie?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
wow, that is amazing that you figured it out. I was thinking the same as Vicaroo, I wouldn't think that what the animal eats would affect the Bully....Could you try another source of meat like Bison, Venison or Rabbit? We have a company her that has a Goat patty.

Bella has be itching and loosing hair like crazy lately. I have not changed a thing, I am wondering if it is seasonal (like I have) or it is from her antibiotics. Problem is, her antibiotics is for SIBO (an issue with her EPI) and she has to be on it for 45 days, no alternatives. I guess I will know once she is done.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You do what you need to do for her and if that means feeding her kibble, so be it.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Thanks for your replies,I have to say that the spelt and rye were staring at me in the face!,should have put 2and2 together,anyways it's done now,I wanted to put her on acana fish but our stores here in the uk don't stock it and as I need her off raw today I have purchased some burns brown rice and fish,I have read and retread the ingredients and there is nothing in it that she cannot have,I also spoke to mark who did her testing and unfortunately anything that the cow,pig,sheep,chickens eat will be passed on,so I have been feeding her what she is allergic to for 14 months!,I'm very disappointed to bring her off raw as I a really believe its the way to feed ,but just not my dog ,so bring on the sloppy poops especially since I cannot transition her slowly. ,I will keep you posted on her progress,and remember unless you get the specifics of which grains your dog is allergic to then they may be eating the food that's making them itchy or the meat content may contain grains which in turn may make your dog itchy!,phew am cream crackered now,oh yes and spelt is a cheap grain filler fed to farm animals ,over here anyway since 2007,karen suppose I best change my avatar now lol

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
wow, that is amazing that you figured it out. I was thinking the same as Vicaroo, I wouldn't think that what the animal eats would affect the Bully....Could you try another source of meat like Bison, Venison or Rabbit? We have a company her that has a Goat patty.

Bella has be itching and loosing hair like crazy lately. I have not changed a thing, I am wondering if it is seasonal (like I have) or it is from her antibiotics. Problem is, her antibiotics is for SIBO (an issue with her EPI) and she has to be on it for 45 days, no alternatives. I guess I will know once she is done.
Get her allergy tested ,the ab will be doing her immune system a lot of harm,also give her acidophilus for 2 weeks after the ab ,you can give her human type from the health shop,karen

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I think it's amazing the research you've done and Annie is super blessed to have you as a mom! I've learned so much from you.....it's true we can only ever do our best and you've certainly done that....hope Annie feels better on the new food.....everyone and every dog is different and diets that work for one won't work for all... You'll find a food that works for her....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.