Turkey or ?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby has been eating these turkey pattys for a week now with no problems! No vomiting, no diarrhea, no loose stools or constipation and most importantly... NO SHIVERS!!! I can't get her in to her IMS until Monday so I haven't had her blood tested yet but the shivering means her numbers are high so no shivers leads me to think they are good (or at least as good as they get for her)

I have one patty left for tomorrow so I have to go buy more. My question is should I stick with the turkey? I know the whole if it ain't broke, don't fix it thing but I'm thinking about her nutritional needs. I know some dogs eat the same kibble for their entire lives but I have zero experience with raw. Is it different? So putting aside her kidney issues, is it a good idea to stick with one protein source or should I give her different ones? They have chicken, turkey, beef, lamb and fish. Should I try another one or stick with what we know works?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well im no raw expert but since youve just used the one pack and with abbys situation maybe stick with the turkey for another round then maybe when she is settled on it and its not causing any problems go with something else. just my 2 cents.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
For nutritional purposes there should be at least 3 protein sources. But in the beginning it is good to start with one and stick with that about 2 weeks and them introduce something else and something similar is the best bet so that would be chicken. And I would stay away from high purine meats, so then the third protein source could be lamb. I don't know about the patties, but check that they don't have organs.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I am not expert on raw either, but I say if she is doing good on the turkey then stick with it for a little while longer.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So happy to hear that she's doing well on the diet. Only having one protein source isn't ideal, but I have read that it is possible. Abby's a special case too so if I were blessed to be her mama I would stick with turkey for now and wait until the next test results.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
OK. So stick with the turkey for a little while. Thanks :)

I don't know about the patties, but check that they don't have organs.

The pattys are made of turkey muscle, turkey organs, beef green tripe, beef blood, cauliflower, broccoli, romaine lettuce, kale and garlic. I don't know how much organs or which organs and I don't really think I want to know lol

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
turkeys fine for a while,remember that raw levels itself out over time ,when you start to add organs then the nutrients will flow!!,keep doing what your doing for now and take it slow,karen

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
OK. So stick with the turkey for a little while. Thanks :)

The pattys are made of turkey muscle, turkey organs, beef green tripe, beef blood, cauliflower, broccoli, romaine lettuce, kale and garlic. I don't know how much organs or which organs and I don't really think I want to know lol

It's just that organs have the most of purines and I've heard that it's not good for dogs with problems with kidneys.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We didn't do patties....mine ate full pieces of meat...but after we did chicken I think we went to pork. I do remeber that we did 2 weeks on one meat until we switched to the next though. Now they can handle a switch everyday! :)

I'm glad Miss Abby is doing well on her raw!!!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I just saw a post "mr Bruno gets se new pic taken". He had a very bad staff infection. They said they asked the vets about his raw diet. Vet suggested stay on just chicken and turkey. Some dogs don't do well on Rex meat. I don't know much about the raw diet or what is best for abbey, just thought i would pass along the info.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.