Practicality of going raw????

Danny Nystrand

Jan 5, 2012
Destin, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mighty Samson
Hello! I have recently gotten the results of my bully, Samson's, allergy test back and he has an unusual set of food allergies that do not allow him eat grain free anymore. I've heard of all the great benefits of going raw and am curious of whether or not it's even an option for me so any info here would help. Allow me to lay out my situation- First, if we go raw, I can not afford to do the whole pre-made frozen or freeze dried raw products only. It's just too expensive. If we do this, I will be buying fresh, portioning myself, then freezing, but I do live in an apartment so I only have your typical size refrigerator/freezer. How much space are we talking here? Would 15-20 portions of food take up all my freezer space? Since we're on the subject of living in an apartment, do those of you who feed raw feed outdoors? If not, how do you contain the mess indoors while they're eating raw meat and bone? I've been told that if you go raw you don't want to give it to them already ground so that they can get the satisfaction of the chewing and keep their teeth healthy. I have many more questions, but these are my initial ones in determining the practicality of feeding my bully raw given our living situations. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi Danny. Can't talk much at the moment but here are some tips on how to start with raw:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...339-recommendations-how-start-rawfeeding.html

Although a freezer is recommended, I have heard that it's very possible to succeed without one. I'm guessing that you're going to just need to go to the store more often, maybe at least once every couple of weeks. The only meat that I buy on sale regularly and in bulk are chicken and goat. The others rarely go down in price so you wouldn't need to store a lot of them all the time. I would encourage you to find a local rawfeeding group, that way you can exchange contacts and other info ie. who and where the best sources are.

I've also read that some rawfeeders manage to train their dogs to eat on a large towel for easy cleanup. If they step off the towel, then their food gets taken away from them for a bit, then given back again once they step back on. With any training, repetition is key. My boys eat inside an x-pen where the flooring is vinyl cleanup is simply a spray of a cleaner and a wipe.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I give my bully whatever is on sale at the store. I don't normally freeze anything unless there is a great sale that I want to stock up on.

I feed the dogs outside because they can drag around the food and it doesn't matter. I do however keep some clorox wipes on hand so I can wipe up after I prep their food (if I buy a big cut of meat or a whole bird or something and need to cut it up)

I personally love what raw feeding has done for Tank. You can check out my photo album...there are pudgy pics of him and then you can tell how much he has leaned up on raw! It's great :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I can't give any advice on where and what to buy, but I recommend that you see the trouble. Raw feeding isn't as difficult as people think and it works wonders with most bullies. My Usko eats on a towel without making a mess. Go for it!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i feed annie from her dog bowl the meat is cut up because she would try and gulp a whole heart down in 1,she only gets bone twice a week ,usually rabbit,pork rib or ox tail,the bone content i feed her in her crate or outside if the weather is good,i have once or twice fed her off a towel and she hasnt dragged it round the house but i have stood in front of her just in case ,clean up is easy i use baby sterilizing fluid ,you dont need to fill a massive freezer ,also the meat can be stored in a fridge for a good few days it doesnt have to be fresh,dogs systems a built to eat old meat they will not get ill ,ive seen my dog dig a 3 week old bone up and eat it without any effects,if you decide to go raw its best to buy it,bag it yourself,you know exactly what your dog is eating and it is cheaper,dont worry if your dog doesnt drink very much this is normal as there is a lot of moisture in raw feed,,good luck,karen

Last edited by a moderator:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Sorry I can't help. I feed Bella raw patties. She is on special medication with her food and it is measured out based on cups of food, so the pre-measured patties work best for me.

It has been only a week and so far so good.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The other thing I love about raw....my poop scooping duties have been cut in half. They don't poop as much as when they were on kibble.

Trivial I know, but it's still awesome ;) LOL

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Samson has been eating raw since he was 3 months old. I only feed indoors, I feed on a towel. For the first few weeks he would move whatever he was eating to his bed, but I just continued moving it back to the towel. Now he will only eat on the towel, even when feeding an entire chicken, no problem whatsoever. Feeding at first was time consuming, but now I just throw down whatever I picked up at the store and he'll eat his fill. He will only eat around a pound on most days - and I no longer measure out. I don't have a freezer specific for his food (I don't plan well enough), I just buy each week what he'll eat. It really is incredibly easy after several weeks of practice. :) - added bonus Samson only poops a few times a week and it dries up and breaks down into dust really quick!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
The other thing I love about raw....my poop scooping duties have been cut in half. They don't poop as much as when they were on kibble.

Trivial I know, but it's still awesome ;) LOL

I have noticed this. Bella's condition would make her Poo numerous times a day. We are down to 2 and I can't believe how much smaller they are! This makes me so happy because with 3 dogs, poo duty is a pain.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I'm starting to get it together for raw feeding, I have a buddy that raises rabbits, I don't think beef will be a problem, chicken backs may be hard to get ahold of though...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm starting to get it together for raw feeding, I have a buddy that raises rabbits, I don't think beef will be a problem, chicken backs may be hard to get ahold of though...
\

You don't need to feed chicken backs by itself, quarters are good to start with. I only really use the backs to add as bone content when feeding boneless pork or beef. Some people even recommend to try to buy whole animals, such as chicken, as it's cheaper in the long run. Rabbits are great to feed too. Stig is able to feed every piece, even the skull. A little on the gross side, I know, but he's really able to.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
i wish someone would give me a grocery list and a weekly menu plan so I could get started on the raw plan. lol

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
i wish someone would give me a grocery list and a weekly menu plan so I could get started on the raw plan. lol

Pretty simple ... anything that's on sale! :)

With my boys it's usually chicken twice or 3 times a week, then we interchange between duck, turkey, beef and pork, lamb and rabbit from time to time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.