Going to try Raw!?!

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So im going to put Emmitt and my shih tzu on raw this wknd.. I'm a little nervous but really excited too!! So I read to start 1 meat a week to make sure that they aren't allergic to the meat I guess.. But my question is do I give veggies to him while we are just trying out the meats these couple of wks with each meet? And it's just meat and veggies right? I have him on Nuvet so that's ok for the vitamins right? Sorry for all the questions I just have never done this and before..

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Kudos for giving it a try! My advice is to read as much as possible on the subject. Here's a list of what to do to start, but if you have any more questions please ask. We're here to help!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...339-recommendations-how-start-rawfeeding.html

For my two boys, they quit kibble cold turkey and went to raw immediately, no transition. No need to add veggies or fruits for frankenprey raw, but I do tend to give them as snacks every so often. For meat changes, it's recommended every couple of weeks to start. But, again, for my guys, I found that it was ok to switch them every couple of days. It really depends on the dog.

A lot of people start with a chicken quarter, not leg nor thigh, but the whole quarter. G'luck! I advise you to join the Yahoo group, they've got a lot of info on how to start and how to fix problems if they exist.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good for you and your babies! Emmit looks absolutely aborable.
I agree on studying the subject as much as you can. It can get a bit confusing cause there is a lot of opinions around that differ. It isn't rocket science though and when you take the plundge, you soon find out how easy it really is.
There is a book "Grow your pups with bones" by Dr Ian Billinghurst that is sort of a father of the ""Barf -movement".

OP
EmmittPylate

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So I actually decided to get the Natures Variety Raw , and wow he chomped it down he loved it!!!! Just wanted to let y'all know how much he liked it!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i dont know about this product but if its pre made then be aware that you dont really know whats in it ,is it expensive?if so may be better sourcing you own meats,karen

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is expensive Karen, it is a good place to start. It is much cheaper to get your own meat, it is very convenient using prepackaged however if the price tag doesn't bother you. Let us know how it goes!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
That's fantastic! Let us know how it goes. How's Emmitt's poop? That's the one thing that rawfeeders first look for ... is poop consistency. It's true! lol.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
That's fantastic! Let us know how it goes. How's Emmitt's poop? That's the one thing that rawfeeders first look for ... is poop consistency. It's true! lol.
dont you mean what raw feeders obsess over lol,karen

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
well we do obsess,is it too big,too small,too wet,too dry,too smelly,not smelly enough,too much bone,not enough bone,and after all that poop investigating we are knackered lol,omg ive even photographed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,but as they say s**t happens he he ,karen

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yay for you! I bet you'll see some good positive changes in about a week. That's about how long it took before I saw the coat looking nicer :)

OP
EmmittPylate

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Yea he definitely doesn't poop as much!! I wanted to do the fresh meat.. But my husband wouldn't let me. He didn't even want to do Raw. But I got him to do the frozen patties lol. Some results I've noticed are he is way more active and playful though :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hm ive been kinda checking out raw as sarah is allergic to every kibble and even some canned food known to man. i am not interested in doing it myself so ive kinda looked at prepackaged. she is on 95% canned beef and grandma lucys freeze dried lamb right now. might consider some patties for one feeding. but oh my bostons would be so jealous:D will be interested how it goes.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=4335]EmmittPylate[/MENTION]...so how did the raw go over the weekend?

OP
EmmittPylate

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Mamaandi it went great!! He loves it and actually eats his food now! He is very energetic. The only thing is it hurts him when he poos. I think it's either the bones or that his poo is too hard. But so far so good!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.