I wish that more people would try feeding raw to their bullies

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Well, I've found a chicken farm only six miles from my house that will sell me chicken backs and breasts! Yay! :)Life is good out here in the middle of nowhere!

I agree. Half my sources are from the middle of nowhere. :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thats all i was giving him and he had those issues. any other thoughts as to why
its hard but i would persevere ,perhaps try pork or turkey,it could be that hes allergic to chicken or as someonr mentioned could be high in sodium,karen

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
Amen to that. My Emma is on the barf diet, energy level went up, no gas, stool is normal, and beautiful coat. I will never do commercial again.

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I have been a member here for...like 4 days or something. lol. But I've already decided to try raw for Max because of the positive posts on the forum. As I've said before, he's had poo problems and yeasty ears his ENTIRE life, even on grain-free. I've most recently had him on Blue Buffalo Wilderness...$49.00 for a 25 pound bag, and 2 cans per day, $2.50 each. So I'm currently spending at least $5 a day on his food, so that is my spending goal. Seems doable.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have been a member here for...like 4 days or something. lol. But I've already decided to try raw for Max because of the positive posts on the forum. As I've said before, he's had poo problems and yeasty ears his ENTIRE life, even on grain-free. I've most recently had him on Blue Buffalo Wilderness...$49.00 for a 25 pound bag, and 2 cans per day, $2.50 each. So I'm currently spending at least $5 a day on his food, so that is my spending goal. Seems doable.

I hope this will help, I have a good feeling. Keep us posted on your progress!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus

$5 a day is plenty, my goal is actually $2 per day avg. Sometimes their meals actually cost less than $1. :yes:

But great to hear you're trying something different. Please don't be afraid to ask questions. I had plenty when my boys started on it and probably didn't stop emailing my main contact daily for a couple of weeks after that.

And welcome to the site! (In case I haven't said that to you yet. lol) Make yourself feel at home. :D

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=5244]TandVsMom[/MENTION] It will be very easy to stay under $5 a day for the food!! Heck, one time I fed Delilah for almost a month and a half on only $30! I was so proud of myself, LOL. And it's not like she doesn't eat much. I feed her at least a pound of food a day.

I bet this will help with yeast. Delilah had problems with yeast around her privates (gross..) and in her ears..as well as nose rope, despite me cleaning all of those areas daily. Her face also got pretty red. She was on grain-free high quality food. I switched to raw and noticed a difference within a week. I don't even have to clean her wrinkles daily anymore, she really doesn't have much of a problem!! It's fantastic. And her face looks great.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I had to take Gator and Gypsy off of RAW, unfortunately. Gator is really allergic to both chicken and pork and the RAW diet helped me discover that. They say they are not allergic to raw meats but I beg to differ on that. He developed awful hot spots on both so they had to go. That didn't leave many available options so we went back to kibble for them. Gypsy choked on a regular basis and I had to be very very careful with her. I tried huge pieces as well as chunks and neither worked for her. She is a scarfer. lol.

Lucy on the other hand is THRIVING on RAW and I won't take her off for anything. She loves it and is doing so well!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I agree not all meats agree ,Annie was allergic to spelt and rye which is what farm animals are fed here in the uk,so really I was feeding her allergies ,I guess some dogs allergies are just too great,chicken,pork and beef seem to be regular culprits with dogs,karen

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I don't feed raw and I don't have a problem with people that do...it is MUCH healthier than feeding junk cheap kibble, and when I was living in Nepal the dogs there had such amazing teeth from chewing on bones all the time.

However, it always gets under my skin a bit when the "wolf" argument comes out. Dogs have been bred so far away from wolves it's an understatement. Especially specialty breeds such as EBDs. Within 2 generations of breeding wolves for "gentleness" the coat color starts to change, the size is smaller, and the features become more puppy-like. That means within just 2 generations the gene pool has been altered. Thousands of generations later, that gives you our dogs. True, they have wolf and carnivorous ancestry, but I don't think this is a good argument for the diet. Just my two cents

Sampson

Jan 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
I don't feed raw and I don't have a problem with people that do...it is MUCH healthier than feeding junk cheap kibble, and when I was living in Nepal the dogs there had such amazing teeth from chewing on bones all the time.

However, it always gets under my skin a bit when the "wolf" argument comes out. Dogs have been bred so far away from wolves it's an understatement. Especially specialty breeds such as EBDs. Within 2 generations of breeding wolves for "gentleness" the coat color starts to change, the size is smaller, and the features become more puppy-like. That means within just 2 generations the gene pool has been altered. Thousands of generations later, that gives you our dogs. True, they have wolf and carnivorous ancestry, but I don't think this is a good argument for the diet. Just my two cents

i am under the impression that dogs have been mentally breed apart from wolves more than physically. We have isolated the dogs that are more "friendly" or more "attractive" for humans, but their internals are practically the same as wolves. I know a lot more about human genetics lol, but i did just find this article! http://rawfed.com/myths/changed.html

I just convinced my bf to feed his english bulldog RAW. I have been feeding my mastiff RAW for a little bit over a month. She had loose stools, and little interest in food before I fed her RAW. Now her stools are perfect! We have sojos as well as frozen patties in case we need someone to watch our dogs or we go out of town and dont want to feed completely raw food in a hotel lol. There are many options with RAW. If I dedicate a day to measuring out the food and putting it into bags then I dont have to do anything for a month. We do have a spare freezer for storage. I also have found that feeding RAW can be less expensive than kibble! I feed RAW to a mastiff pup and it costs at most, 300$ a month (not looking for any deals, just going to a grocery store and buying meat, and if i feed her the most she is allowed). 300$ a month is just a little more expensive than the kibble we bought (fromm) and like I said I can get a months worth of food for around 200$ , easily. I have noticed a significant difference in Stella since I switched her. my bf used to be against RAW food until he saw the benefits. Now our english bulldog with be starting a RAW diet! I am so excited! Fortunately, we are not on a tight budget, so we can afford to give our dogs a variety of good quality meats.

Like others have said though, if your dog does well on kibble then thats awesome. But my mastiff has already shown a benefit from a RAW diet and I fairly certain that our bulldog will as well. know your dog and do what you feel is best :)

A

Alaskasmom1

We get packaged raw meat from the Amish village near us. They package it in one or two pound pkgs and it now costs .75 cents per lb. raw bones are free. The bones are in a big barrel in the packing room and they allow me to go in and choose what I want. Way cheaper than TOTW but I still use a little of both. I don't want to be in a position like before when they ran out and I had to give them dog food and the runny river rapids started. Ewww. Ton is now being started on raw ground. Doing great on it. He's just 7 weeks 5 days old.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We get packaged raw meat from the Amish village near us. They package it in one or two pound pkgs and it now costs .75 cents per lb. raw bones are free. The bones are in a big barrel in the packing room and they allow me to go in and choose what I want. Way cheaper than TOTW but I still use a little of both. I don't want to be in a position like before when they ran out and I had to give them dog food and the runny river rapids started. Ewww. Ton is now being started on raw ground. Doing great on it. He's just 7 weeks 5 days old.

Some guys have all the luck!

We have Restaurant Depot over here - if you have a business license, you can get a Restaurant Depot membership (they supply restaurants). I went with a friend of mine who has a membership and they had cut-up chicken there (that's an entire chicken cut up into 8 pieces - including thick, juicy chicken breasts) on sale for FORTY-NINE CENTS a pound! It is regularly 69 cents a pound. Yes. 69 cents is regular price! Then they had like half a lamb (not cut-up - you see the entire lamb from neck to butt, except it's only half of it cut lengthwise) for $1.29 a lb. Lots of other cheap stuff. But yeah, you have to buddy up with somebody with a membership.

There's also a coop in Orlando for raw feeders where they would band together and buy an entire deer/qual/etc. from hunters and fish from fishing hobbyists on hunting/fishing season and another one that buys tripe wholesale from some dude in New York. They divide it among themselves.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)

This is not true. Species evolution does not happen that fast. A wolf is an opportunist. Unlike the big cats, it will eat whatever it can find if it can't find prey - that includes poop even. So, that's why dogs are classified as omnivores with a carnivorous bias.

Now, what is even MORE important. We humans are not designed to eat our modern version of food. So, you know how we are so concerned about feeding dogs 5-star, 6-star or whatever-star quality food? Well... if you're eating food from the regular aisles at your run-of-the-mill American grocery store, you're eating the equivalent of Purina. Hence, all the medical problems we have today that did not exist before.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am in awe of anyone who does complete raw! It really intrigues me, but I am so fearful of not doing it correctly, not enough nutrients, when to do organ meat, etc etc. It really seems very time consuming and confusing to me. I also am not a fan of handling raw meat- that in itself would cause me to have my own stomach issues. That said, is there anyone out there that uses Natures Instinct Frozen and kibble together? Would love to know how your pups do on that, how you feed it, and how young you started them. I know it is expensive, but I would be willing to give it a try if I thought it would be better. As evidenced by yet another bout of diarrhea with Bogey this morning, he has a very sensative stomach and I just wonder if the raw would be better.

Most Reactions