I wish that more people would try feeding raw to their bullies

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have considered doing raw but just cant seem to do it. i also do not have the time and am not the only one feeding the dogs so i have to factor in what bf will do also. pulling it out of the freezer, thawing it, feeding it, cleaning bowls after every feeding. i have considered prepackaged raw but i think im going to maybe do the grandma lucys pureformance which is freeze dried dog food. its one of the things that has nothing in it that i know sarah is allergic to. not saying i wont do raw but my circumstances dont let me do it now. kudos to people that do as i do believe its good for pets.

A

Alaskasmom1

I started "Tank and Alaska" on raw after learning a lot about it from online research. We have a local Ahmish meat company near us. They charged me .50 per pound for ground and packaged meats, and gave me all of the fresh raw bones I wanted. It's been 6 weeks and my bullies gas problems have all but disappeared, their coats feel almost like rabbit fur, they poop every other day, their breath doesn't smell awful, the allergy symptoms they had are minimal, tear stains are lots better but not completely gone yet,their shedding is minimal, they beg to eat, I could go on and on. I fed them Taste of The Wild salmon before this and they did well on it, but not as well as with the raw diet. I made one trip to the Amish meat market 6 weeks ago and I still have a lot of meat. It cost me about 62.00 that day. Taste of The Wild is 50.00 per bag in my area,and lasts two weeks per bag. I'll still keep that around to occasionally mix with meat for a change in food.
Im so happy I found this site!

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I started "Tank and Alaska" on raw after learning a lot about it from online research. We have a local Ahmish meat company near us. They charged me .50 per pound for ground and packaged meats, and gave me all of the fresh raw bones I wanted. It's been 6 weeks and my bullies gas problems have all but disappeared, their coats feel almost like rabbit fur, they poop every other day, their breath doesn't smell awful, the allergy symptoms they had are minimal, tear stains are lots better but not completely gone yet,their shedding is minimal, they beg to eat, I could go on and on. I fed them Taste of The Wild salmon before this and they did well on it, but not as well as with the raw diet. I made one trip to the Amish meat market 6 weeks ago and I still have a lot of meat. It cost me about 62.00 that day. Taste of The Wild is 50.00 per bag in my area,and lasts two weeks per bag. I'll still keep that around to occasionally mix with meat for a change in food.
Im so happy I found this site!
you really should stop kibble all together ,if your feeding full raw then its all a dog needs,you may be setting yourself up for trouble poops wise,good to hear raw is going so well and have transitioned so easily,its such an easy and healthy way to feed ,well done ,karen

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I just bought the book Raw Meaty Bones on Amazon,my bunny buddy is gonna butcher a half dozen rabbits for me, and I ordered two oxtails from the butcher, so I guess I'm going to give the raw diet a whirl! :)

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I tried raw feeding Tyson and t didn't work out well for him , but he is old. I will say that they vet told me raw feeding may be too much protein for an older dogs kidneys to handle

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
The biggest misunderstanding about raw feeding is that is has too much protein. Hardly any fresh raw meat has more than 20% protein in it. So how did Tyson react to raw food?

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I just bought the book Raw Meaty Bones on Amazon,my bunny buddy is gonna butcher a half dozen rabbits for me, and I ordered two oxtails from the butcher, so I guess I'm going to give the raw diet a whirl! :)

Great, go for it. Just remember to start slowly. Just one kind of meat for the first few weeks and then one by one introduce new protein sources.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
The biggest misunderstanding about raw feeding is that is has too much protein. Hardly any fresh raw meat has more than 20% protein in it. So how did Tyson react to raw food?
Wel he had trouble chewing his food to start. The he would sometimes choke. He also alternated between diarrhea and severe constipation with blood in his :poo:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
its fine tuning the diet ,stick with chicken breast,backs/frames for at least 3 weeks then add another protein and so on,leave the organs till last and only add a bit at each feed,karen

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Well, I've found a chicken farm only six miles from my house that will sell me chicken backs and breasts! Yay! :)Life is good out here in the middle of nowhere!

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
its fine tuning the diet ,stick with chicken breast,backs/frames for at least 3 weeks then add another protein and so on,leave the organs till last and only add a bit at each feed,karen
thats all i was giving him and he had those issues. any other thoughts as to why

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Well, I've found a chicken farm only six miles from my house that will sell me chicken backs and breasts! Yay! :)Life is good out here in the middle of nowhere!

I'm jealous! Chicken is pretty expensive here. Sometimes I buy whole chickens, cut the breasts for us and feed the rest to the dogs. A lot of their diet is beef heart.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I'm jealous! Chicken is pretty expensive here. Sometimes I buy whole chickens, cut the breasts for us and feed the rest to the dogs. A lot of their diet is beef heart.

I live in Nebraska, you would think beef would be cheap and easy to come by, but none of the butchers will sell me scraps or bones! :/

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.