I wish that more people would try feeding raw to their bullies

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
If this thread turns into an argument I will close it.... at the very least. Thank you for keeping it civil.

BruceP

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
The great thing about this forum is that we all love our dogs, and we all want the best for them. I know that I love Mocha with all of my heart and I only want the best of the best for my baby(yes, she is my baby)I think is awesome when you find what works for your dog and he or she thrives on it and you can see the changes in the overall health. Feed what you want, but feed the best.Raw or Kibble give your dog the best. Let us not put each other down by saying"raw is gross" or "kibble is garbage" you might hurt someones feelings

Last edited:

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I agree with you @RiiSi to a certain degree. I had fed my dogs raw since 8 weeks old. they had been doing wonderful, best thing was no odor to their poops and firm stool that would disintegrate. I loved it. I really didn't mind the feeling since it was like hamburger meat. I would grind enough meat for 3-4 weeks with bone, organs and chicken and some beef. and it worked well for me, it did take me about 2-3 hours to get set up, grind, package everything and clean up afterwards. In the meantime my kids were driving my grandmother crazy in the house. This is an 84 year old lady. I either let her deal with them or I would have to de-glove, wash hands, correct the kids, find other activities for them, then put gloves back on and continue the grinding process. Then I decided since their adult teeth came in I could try giving them a full quarter of chicken, well, they had no idea how to even begin eating it, they peeled off as much chicken as they could and left the bone intact. So then I decided to try giving them chunks with bone included. Well, a couple days of this and one of my dogs ended up in the animal hospital with pulmonary edema, possibly from aspirating or near choking. I whole heartedly believe that it was a combination of factors, but the fact that the vet blamed the chicken bones is in the back of my mind. I do have my hands full with the young skin kids and all my dogs, and work and house and was getting very overwhelmed with the whole process. I am not saying I will never go back to raw, I do believe I will at some point, but my mental health comes first right now for me! Thank you for sharing the process and your schedule it is very informative!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION]

that's exactly what I said.!
I only condensed it to say I couldnt fix a ham & cheese sandwich.! :tongue:

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
yup [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] I feel the same way! Even my husband told me that I was feeding the dogs better than my kids and him :ashamed: and the truth is he was right.. I don't think it's a matter of raw being difficult, I think it is time consuming, and I really don't have the extra time, not right now.. Again, I wish I did, but I have to spread the love between all members of my family, and remember MYSELF once in a while too! :eek:

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] let us know how your pups do on kibble since you have a solid history to compare it to. Some do great but mine pooped more than they ate, lol.

I like the tone of this thread, some forums can get v. pro/anti raw so I appreciate that we can accept each others choices. At the end of the day the point is do the best you can!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
will do [MENTION=3904]Poppy[/MENTION] I am definitely looking out for the differences
and [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] :ROFL: you know what I had for lunch! A piece of cheese!! I am working on Valentine's day cards.. I get lost and time gets away from me when I work on photos!! Come check out my Valentine's day thread.. My fur kids are very photogenic if I may say so myself :luv:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i had chicken buts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,yes found a load at the local butcher but didnt share them with my dog:nope:,karen

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Kibbler here...

I am all for prey model raw... unfortunately, I couldn't leave my babies with the doggie hotel if I go raw as the ones I use doesn't have a refrigerator for their food. Also, I leave the dogs with my nephew a lot too and I can't inconvenience him more than he is already. I even condition the dogs to eat straight kibble without the canned topping a few days before I leave them because my nephew (and I'm thinking the doggie hotel would do the same probably) would put the food in the container on his way out the door to go to school and leave it there until he comes home from school.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I wish oh do I wish I could do raw. I have heard from so many of my friends how well it works and how great their dogs do on it. However with Bella's condition, raw would be too much of a risk for her. She has to have all parts of her food treated with her enzymes, she can't have too much bone, no grain etc....gets very tricky. As it is I have to crush her kibble, treat with enzymes and let incubate for 20 mins. Someday in the far future I will have a dog on raw....but then again that maybe when I am too old and on the Social Security that won't be there.....so I might be eating kibble myself. :ROFL:

Charles Yin

Oct 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
TBD
I just started feeding Sojos, which is a raw freeze dried product. The pup loves it and his stools are amazingly firm. We were on Fromm gold large puppy and his stools were always soft. Vet wanted to deworm him (even after 3 stool samples showed no worms). So i said F^*K it, I'm gonna try a raw diet. he's been healthy ever since. no more antibiotics, rive an meat etc...

Most Reactions