Allergic to Poultry?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have a question reguarding the bulldog I just adopted and her switch to raw food. I just got her on Friday and she had been on kibble...I noticed her feet and wrinkles has some reddish tint to them (I assumed from an allergy to something in her kibble). Right away Saturday we made the switch to the raw diet. Her first meal was a chicken quarter. I feed the dogs their meal in the afternoon every day and I noticed the past couple nights she has been licking her feet.

Tonight she has been doing it more than the previous evenings. I also noticed she is drooling quite a bit. Other than those two things she is perfect, stools are firm, she is energetic during the day, no vomiting or anything like that.

Is it possible that she is allergic to the raw chicken? She has had it for 3 days now. The other two dogs took to the raw food with no problems but Bre is 7 and the other two are only 2 years old.

Thanks!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Sorry, I can't be of much help, but I can tell you my Mack is 8 & a half and I just had an allergy screen done and he is allergic to chicken. I know there are other Bulldogs who have the same alllergy. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] any comment? Mack was licking his paws a lot and getting red spots on his sweetie pie face!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I read this and I'm assuming raw feeders can have the same allergies as kibble eaters. And chicken is certainly a big problem. I would certainly assume that and back off the chicken. Let's ask [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
What would be a good next meat to try? I certainly don't want Miss Bre to feel like crud from an allergy cause the foot licking has been pretty incessant tonight...she's sleeping now but it took her awhile to leave them alone.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The chances of her being allergic to chicken is very small, even if she's allergic to 'kibble' chicken. But, keeping allergies in mind, you can try a different meat, maybe turkey or pork to see if it'll make a difference. Those are 2 reasonably priced proteins. Seeing that Bre's 7, she may be going through detox. Different doggies go through it differently. Some itch, some get pimples, some shed, etc etc. The older they are the more worse only because they've been eating kibble longer. With Stig, it was a month's worth of really bad earwax. Punkin didn't seem like he went through anything, though, and he was 4 when we got him. But then he's not as sensitive as Stiggy.

Do you have access to green tripe? Locals in my area swear that it's needed for a more smooth transition to raw. I would give her some everyday for the next month or so if you can find it.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I would guess detox as well of it's the first few days. Maybe the chicken was enhanced.. But since your other dogs are fine I would say the chances are slim.

Turkey would be the next protein to try. Necks are pretty gross but provide a great chewing workout for the pups.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i find annie gets itchy on chicken,pork and turkey,now wether its enhanced i dont know,her meats are now ox heart,lamb,beef,tripe,organs,fish also seem to give her a reaction,you could try soaking the chicken just in case its enhanced,its not too bad with annie as she can handle boneless meals with no runs so she gets lamb ribs but they are very expensive so she gets eggs to keep her regular,karen

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usually all the protein in kibble is enhanced and seems like chicken has had a bad rap there in the States. In Europe it seems to be more pork or beef. We usually use chicken as elimination diet when trying to find foods that are tolerated with allergic dogs. Because chicken is tolerated by most. When switching any food there's a chance that the body reacts this way. Give it time and try to relieve the itching.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.