More tips on rawfeeding

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
This post will be updated periodically. Rawfeeders!, please share your tips and advice you have and I'll add them to this list.
  • Highly recommend that you get a chest freezer exclusively for your pup(s). This way you’ll be able to buy in bulk when meats go on sale, especially if the price is irresistible. If you don’t have funds for a new one, craigslist type sites are full of people trying to get rid of theirs. Also, get the biggest one you can afford or can fit comfortably in the room. I made the mistake of buying the small size, now my bullies’ food is taking over not only their chest freezer, but also my parents’, as well as my normal fridge freezer!

• There are many avenues on how to cut meat costs. A lot of rawfeeders are successful in joining co-ops in their areas as well as group buys. I aim for $1.50/lb per meal averaging the whole month taking into account every protein source. You can also join a local rawfeeding group where we exchange new meat deals, share contacts and other great info. Other members have befriended their butcher and ask them to save trimmings, old and freezer burnt meat.

• Save money by shopping according to the season! For example, turkeys go on sale during Easter and Christmas time, duck during Chinese New Year, get in touch with friends who hunt deer during the fall/winter months, sausage making time is in the beginning of the year so pork is the new black, rabbits starting spring, and so forth!

• There is a high chance that you may find that if your bully is allergic to kibble chicken protein, it will not be the case for the raw variety. Don't be afraid to try it, even for just one sitting.

• Variety is essential, although I have heard that some people feed exclusively one meat. To avoid developing allergies and to better our bulldogs' health, in general, it's best to aim for at least 3 protein sources.

Last edited:

Trish

Sep 1, 2012
Barrie, Ontario -- Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bernadette
just started feeding my 1yr old female english bulldog a raw diet. She has been plagued with skin issues since we got her and decided based on a story I read about a bulldog named annie that I would take the plunge. I do not want to go to steroids and want to try everything for her before I have to make that decision. This is day 5 for her the stools are better and her breath is better. She loves the raw and the bones as well. Her skin does not seem to be changing at all still itching and scratching so need to know how long before I make the decision to switch the protien. Have a supportive vet now that deals with bulldogs and a raw diet.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
just started feeding my 1yr old female english bulldog a raw diet. She has been plagued with skin issues since we got her and decided based on a story I read about a bulldog named annie that I would take the plunge. I do not want to go to steroids and want to try everything for her before I have to make that decision. This is day 5 for her the stools are better and her breath is better. She loves the raw and the bones as well. Her skin does not seem to be changing at all still itching and scratching so need to know how long before I make the decision to switch the protien. Have a supportive vet now that deals with bulldogs and a raw diet.

Hi Trish! Great to hear that Bernadette's enjoying her meals. I'd give it another week before switching to another protein. Make sure the chicken's not enhanced. Meaning not flavoured, broth not added, and salt is less than 100 mg per 3 oz serving. You may also consider that she is going through a detox period and the itching is part of it. Also try to get some green tripe to add to her meals everyday for at least a month or so to help with the transition. A couple of spoonfuls should be good. There should be a few stores in your area that sell them, I'll pm you the Canadian rawfeeding supplies group url. :)

DawgPoundBully

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel
I am very interested in raw feeding and I support all who feed their dogs raw. I have not made the full transition but I do add raw meat to his kibble and I even give him strictly raw on a few occassions. I normally use raw beef, beef liver,chicken liver and raw salmon. I also use raw carrots,kale and spinach.

Since adding raw to his diet I have noticed a change in his stools,energy and overal appearance. He has gained more lean muscle. I continue to do research on the raw diet and I really enjoy the tips and helpful advice that people give.

tekstrand24

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am a big advocate for raw feeding. I currently use Darwin's Natural Selections dog food. They are based out of Seattle, WA and ship the food right to your front door. This makes feeding raw much easier.

Amyp325

Apr 23, 2014
Hi there, I came across some information on the internet that raw salmon is very bad for dogs. It could possibly cause salmon poisoning. Has anyone had any issues with this? I definitely do not want to put our baby at an risk of getting sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
Hi there, I came across some information on the internet that raw salmon is very bad for dogs. It could possibly cause salmon poisoning. Has anyone had any issues with this? I definitely do not want to put our baby at an risk of getting sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this pertaining to salmon and fish. Hope it helps.

Pacific salmonids carry a toxic parasite that can make dogs very sick. Freezefresh raw salmon, steelhead, trout, and other salmonids for at least 24 hours before feeding to your dog; this thoroughly kills the parasite. Cooked salmon (or canned) is perfectly okay to feed. Fish is the only food that can also be fed cooked, as the bones remain soft and the meat keeps much of its integrity. When feeding whole fresh fish (especially fish that you just caught from a lake!), it might be worthwhile to cut open the belly and check for hooks swallowed into the stomach as well as hooks in the throat or mouth. If the fish has any sharp spines (like catfish or the dorsal fin on bass), you should cut them off before feeding the fish to the dog. Avoid feeding too much carp, smelt, herring, and catfish, since these fish contain an enzyme that binds Thiamin, or Vitamin B1. They make an excellent addition to any raw diet as long as they aren't the bulk of the diet (i.e. do not feed it every day!).

djangosmamma

Mar 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django
Hello everyone! Thank you for the raw feeding tips!

My 1+ year old bully started having digital cyst issues, yeast, yucky folds (despite daily cleaning) and some bare patches on his back, and his stool was SO runny! The vet just gave us some antibiotics, which, did nothing. So I did some reading and I think it was his kibble, Royal Canin, the first ingredient in which is Chicken Byproduct.

I have just started my bully baby on a raw diet, mixing [real] chicken, yogurt, broccoli, coconut oil in morning, farm fresh eggs, and apple cider vinegar in evening with his kibble. Hope to get him completely off the kibble soon. I have pork in the freezer i will give in 3 weeks, and beef too. I guess I will need to get some organ meat for him.

So far, he's doing great. Face is healing, firmer stool, digital cysts are receding, less itching, ear yeast is backing off too. Lots of energy (and watching him wag his tail while I'm cutting up his dinner in the kitchen is pretty priceless, lol. He was never too excited about a bowl full of that dry brown stuff.)

My question is WHAT ABOUT BONES?!!!! I am scared to DEATH to give him bones. I'm afraid he will choke, or have problems passing it, or or or... lol. Can you tell I'm a first time mom? :) Has anyone ever had any problems? I assume calcium is the big ingredient that make bones desirable. Can bone meal substitute? Or a supplement? I see lots of people here are crazy about NuVet? Are there other supplements anyone can rec?

Thank you for your input!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello everyone! Thank you for the raw feeding tips!

My 1+ year old bully started having digital cyst issues, yeast, yucky folds (despite daily cleaning) and some bare patches on his back, and his stool was SO runny! The vet just gave us some antibiotics, which, did nothing. So I did some reading and I think it was his kibble, Royal Canin, the first ingredient in which is Chicken Byproduct.

I have just started my bully baby on a raw diet, mixing [real] chicken, yogurt, broccoli, coconut oil in morning, farm fresh eggs, and apple cider vinegar in evening with his kibble. Hope to get him completely off the kibble soon. I have pork in the freezer i will give in 3 weeks, and beef too. I guess I will need to get some organ meat for him.

So far, he's doing great. Face is healing, firmer stool, digital cysts are receding, less itching, ear yeast is backing off too. Lots of energy (and watching him wag his tail while I'm cutting up his dinner in the kitchen is pretty priceless, lol. He was never too excited about a bowl full of that dry brown stuff.)

My question is WHAT ABOUT BONES?!!!! I am scared to DEATH to give him bones. I'm afraid he will choke, or have problems passing it, or or or... lol. Can you tell I'm a first time mom? :) Has anyone ever had any problems? I assume calcium is the big ingredient that make bones desirable. Can bone meal substitute? Or a supplement? I see lots of people here are crazy about NuVet? Are there other supplements anyone can rec?

Thank you for your input!

[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

I gove raw amarrow bones all the time as a treat... but if you mean mixing the bones with the food?? I tagged Riisi for some insight

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online