Recommendations on how to start with rawfeeding

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you for this post. I am starting our poor hamilton on a raw diet tomorrow. He has had nonstop allergies for 3 years now. We've tried so many dog foods, and the last food the vet made us try was Royal Canin Hydrolized protein, which has to be the worst food we've ever fed him. He's gained 7 pounds in 6 weeks. I found a local pet store that gets weekly shipments of fresh ground beef and chicken and tomorrow is the first day.

I'm going to give it for breakfast, and the regular kibble for dinner. I'm afraid he'll get the poops if I don't transition slowly. I know I read that you can switch cold turkey, but do some people have problems?

Thanks for your help, this site has helped me out so much with my pup

sounds interesting..... does it have the bone, organs etc????

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for this post. I am starting our poor hamilton on a raw diet tomorrow. He has had nonstop allergies for 3 years now. We've tried so many dog foods, and the last food the vet made us try was Royal Canin Hydrolized protein, which has to be the worst food we've ever fed him. He's gained 7 pounds in 6 weeks. I found a local pet store that gets weekly shipments of fresh ground beef and chicken and tomorrow is the first day.

I'm going to give it for breakfast, and the regular kibble for dinner. I'm afraid he'll get the poops if I don't transition slowly. I know I read that you can switch cold turkey, but do some people have problems?

Thanks for your help, this site has helped me out so much with my pup

You would feed on percentage of dog weight... 3 -4 percent of weight at each meal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin1005

Mar 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton Porter
yes it has 80% meat 10% organs 10% bone. I called the business yesterday and spoke on the phone with who I think was the owner. He was a nice guy, we spoke for about 20 minutes, and answered a bunch of questions. Ham is in 2 days now, he's had no runny poops. His coat has already improved, his smell has gotten better, his eyes have been more open, and his ear swelling has also gone down. I'm very optimistic about things so far. I'll keep everyone posted. Keep your fingers crossed.

kevin1005

Mar 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton Porter
It's been 2 weeks and Hamilton is doing great!! Everything has improved. We went to the eye vet yesterday and he was very impressed with how good he looks! I feel such a sense of relief knowing that there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. I hope he continues to do well on the Raw diet. I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I'll post again in a few weeks, but so far I am so impressed!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's been 2 weeks and Hamilton is doing great!! Everything has improved. We went to the eye vet yesterday and he was very impressed with how good he looks! I feel such a sense of relief knowing that there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. I hope he continues to do well on the Raw diet. I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I'll post again in a few weeks, but so far I am so impressed!

Fantastic!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
As I wonder, can I mix vegetables with the raw meat to feed to the pup. I was thinking grind the raw meat 80/10/10 plus vegetables and keep them frozen n feed them as I go. Thank you

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
As I wonder, can I mix vegetables with the raw meat to feed to the pup. I was thinking grind the raw meat 80/10/10 plus vegetables and keep them frozen n feed them as I go. Thank you

Sure can... just avoid white potato and the usual no doggie foods (onion, grapes, etc)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online