RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
How long did you try to feed her chicken and then pork before going back to kibble? Some dogs go through detoxification period and all the the symptoms can increase before going away.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
My ladies did have a little runs problem, but for only a day or two. That was last year. Do the transition cold turkey (pun!) on the weekend. I started with chicken legs. Canned pumpkin is supposed to help with diarrhea. Give a teaspoon on a spoon.

dpm4law

Dec 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Are chicken backs and necks too small to start my bully on? I just bought a bunch and I ready to start his first raw feeding today on12/11/12. All feedback welcomed.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Great question. Will do some research and get back to you. I'm assuming that the bones he's grinding aren't weight bearing bones seeing they're like rocks. But who knows how powerful grinders are nowadays. Be back with an answer soon!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Hi there, We've been trying the raw diet. We had her on chicken at first but her itching and paw chewing got worse. So I tried pork but it didnt realy make a difference and it made her stink really bad. We put her back on the fromm, beef and it helps a little but shes still getting ear infections and itches/chews paws. Ive been looking at some sites, what are your guys opinion on ground beef? That is the only raw meat I havent tried?

Hi breel, I don't know your history, just read this one post... so I would just throw it out there... maybe his allergies are environmental related and not food related?

Ground beef is okay when handled like people food. It has a higher chance of bacteria contamination but should be okay with proper handling. But, there are other beef cuts that are cheap too - like fajita cuts or briskets. And beef hearts (counted as muscle meat in PMR) are cheap when you can find a local butcher that will sell it to you in cases (usually a 30lb case) but would need to feed a little at first and increase with time because hearts are rich and may cause diarrhea at first for a dog who is not used to organ meat.

I'm not sure what your budget is but Walmart now sells ground bison for around the same price as ground beef chuck. This would be a good meat to try for allergic dogs.

Last edited:

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Why feed ground beef when there are better options out there (i.e. whole cuts of beef)? Not only do you have a higher risk for increased bacteria and salmonella, but you're dog will get little physical or mental stimulation from his meal.

With that said, I don't think it is necessarily unsafe; I just think you're better off with some other type of beef.

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker & in extended family his dad Diesel & cousin Odessa
Hello, I am picking up our EB pup in a couple weeks, he will be 8weeks old. Breeder is putting the litter on Royal Puppy food and I intend on raw and home cook feeding, would it be ok to start him out on raw when we bring him home or would that be too fast of a change when he just started eating solids? Also, is it safe to feed chicken with bones to such a small puppy? I'm thinking ground might be the way to go? Should I include veggies and brown rice or do you only introduce chicken alone first? Great thread, it is really informative.

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hello, I am picking up our EB pup in a couple weeks, he will be 8weeks old. Breeder is putting the litter on Royal Puppy food and I intend on raw and home cook feeding, would it be ok to start him out on raw when we bring him home or would that be too fast of a change when he just started eating solids? Also, is it safe to feed chicken with bones to such a small puppy? I'm thinking ground might be the way to go? Should I include veggies and brown rice or do you only introduce chicken alone first? Great thread, it is really informative.

This is exactly why i am reading this thread, im in the same position. Did you ever do this?

Biermanx3

Apr 24, 2015
Country
USA,
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I just got my EB and he is 3 months old. The only reason I haven't started him on the Raw food is I don't have a meat grinder at the moment. Puppies are the easiest to go from kibble to raw. Make the switch and he or she may have cannon butt but then again they may not. I will be ordering my meat grinder in the morning. I will be doing chicken backs, chicken feet, chicken heads, beef heart, beef liver but not to much though as its a organ. But I will also be blending daily carrots, broccoli, and other green and even fruits and soft boiled eggs and once a week plain yogurt for digestion. This is a great meal and I'll make 20 to 30 pounds and that will so last me a long time. My Dozer will not be on burnt processed nasty food much longer.

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I am strongly considering a raw diet for my bulldog he has had several bouts of problems with pooping since we got him at 10 weeks old, he's 6 months now. His last bout was diagnosed as acute colitis and that has what has made me think raw might be better than the bulldog junior kibble he is on at the moment.
I am a little unsure exactly what meats you can feed safely. For example can they have raw turkey because I've heard turkey meat (maybe it only applies to cooked) is bad for their pancreas?
Can you feed them a raw chicken leg (without skin) with the bone in?
I'm also very unsure of what a meal should consist of, should there be vegetables and/or something like pasta or rice included?
Sorry I seem so clueless but I want to get this right so we don't over or underfeed our bully.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If you're considering raw feeding I always advice to buy a book about raw feeding and start following that. Most of the books will advice you to modify the diet according to the reaction of your dog. The internet is full of misleading information, like turkey is bad for the pancreas. Then some dogs can't handle chicken skin and the next can....one needs more bone than the other and next will do great with less. It's about what is suited for your bully and you have to start with the basics and go from there. If I wright what is the basics for me the next guy will come along and tell what it was for them...it can get really confusing.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I am strongly considering a raw diet for my bulldog he has had several bouts of problems with pooping since we got him at 10 weeks old, he's 6 months now. His last bout was diagnosed as acute colitis and that has what has made me think raw might be better than the bulldog junior kibble he is on at the moment.
I am a little unsure exactly what meats you can feed safely. For example can they have raw turkey because I've heard turkey meat (maybe it only applies to cooked) is bad for their pancreas?
I'm also very unsure of what a meal should consist of, should there be vegetables and/or something like pasta or rice included?
Sorry I seem so clueless but I want to get this right so we don't over or underfeed our bully.
Only applies to cooked. It's due to owners feeding a cooked turkey (mostly during holiday times) that the turkey is basting in butter ect…it's too much for the dog's pancreas. Raw turkey should be fine. I was advised to give raw turkey necks, bones and all.

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
If you're considering raw feeding I always advice to buy a book about raw feeding and start following that. Most of the books will advice you to modify the diet according to the reaction of your dog. The internet is full of misleading information, like turkey is bad for the pancreas. Then some dogs can't handle chicken skin and the next can....one needs more bone than the other and next will do great with less. It's about what is suited for your bully and you have to start with the basics and go from there. If I wright what is the basics for me the next guy will come along and tell what it was for them...it can get really confusing.

Yep it's confusing alright thanks for the advice.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

Your dog is 6 months old. Old enough to take raw. The guideline ratio is 80:10:10 or 75:15:10 of meat : bone : organ
Amount to feed is 2-3% of expected adult body weight per day (split over 2-3 meals)

Start out simple. Chicken is a good protein to start with.
Feed chicken back/breast/neck with bone (large enough pieces to discourage gulping). After the pup figures it out, introduce legs.
I would not give legs unsupervised till about a year. EBs are greedy and gulp food.
You can however hand hold the leg and encourage your pup to tear meat and chew bone.
Introduce organs (liver/heart/etc) slowly; these usually cause runny stools the first few times.
With skin chicken is good once in a while (once a week at most). Most of the fat resides beneath the skin.
3-5 boiled eggs a week is good for your dog, as long as it can handle it.

After your pup stabilizes on chicken, try turkey, beef, lamb or any other meat that you can procure from a trusted source.
Follow the same regimen, except no beef/lamb bones. They are way too hard for dogs and EBs in particular; will break teeth and choking hazard.

Rice/pasta/veggies/fruits are optional. I do feed these occasionally.
The trick is not to feed with the meal which contains raw meat. Plant matter takes longer to digest than animal products.
I feed veggies/fruits as a side snack. Mostly given because of the drooling dogs. The moment I reach out for a banana or apple or orange, my mutts are in front of me drooling.
So they get a small amount.
Rice and pasta need to be cooked well; in fact overcooked is better than under cooked. With rice I usually give yogurt. Pasta is plain; no sauce; sometimes with watered down milk.
These are usually a meal without any meat/eggs in it and most often at dinner. Gives a longer time for digestion.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online