Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on how to start with rawfeeding

Bulldog(s) Names
    Butter
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Recommendations on how to start with rawfeeding

Hi there, We've been trying the raw diet. We had her on chicken at first but her itching and paw chewing got worse. So I tried pork but it didnt realy make a difference and it made her stink really bad. We put her back on the fromm, beef and it helps a little but shes still getting ear infections and itches/chews paws. Ive been looking at some sites, what are your guys opinion on ground beef? That is the only raw meat I havent tried?

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Are you sure the meats that you have tried haven't been enhanced??

Bulldog(s) Names
    Butter
    Likes (Received)

I asked our butcher and he said that it wasn't .. I really don't know what to do, I feel so bad for her..we have tried every food, from really expensive to cheap. The prescription food works ok, but it is really expensive and our vet said you're not suppose to keep her on it for long term. So, I wasn't sure what your thoughts were on ground beef, beef ribs, etc. Thank you for any advice

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

How long did you try to feed her chicken and then pork before going back to kibble? Some dogs go through detoxification period and all the the symptoms can increase before going away.

Real Name
    Lucie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Liz and Amy
    Likes (Received)

My ladies did have a little runs problem, but for only a day or two. That was last year. Do the transition cold turkey (pun!) on the weekend. I started with chicken legs. Canned pumpkin is supposed to help with diarrhea. Give a teaspoon on a spoon.
    Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend. ~Corey Ford

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocky
    Likes (Received)

Are chicken backs and necks too small to start my bully on? I just bought a bunch and I ready to start his first raw feeding today on12/11/12. All feedback welcomed.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Great question. Will do some research and get back to you. I'm assuming that the bones he's grinding aren't weight bearing bones seeing they're like rocks. But who knows how powerful grinders are nowadays. Be back with an answer soon!
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

@BullyLove143

Here is Raw feeding forum..lts to read while you wait for help?

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by breelbosley View Post
    Hi there, We've been trying the raw diet. We had her on chicken at first but her itching and paw chewing got worse. So I tried pork but it didnt realy make a difference and it made her stink really bad. We put her back on the fromm, beef and it helps a little but shes still getting ear infections and itches/chews paws. Ive been looking at some sites, what are your guys opinion on ground beef? That is the only raw meat I havent tried?
    Hi breel, I don't know your history, just read this one post... so I would just throw it out there... maybe his allergies are environmental related and not food related?

Ground beef is okay when handled like people food. It has a higher chance of bacteria contamination but should be okay with proper handling. But, there are other beef cuts that are cheap too - like fajita cuts or briskets. And beef hearts (counted as muscle meat in PMR) are cheap when you can find a local butcher that will sell it to you in cases (usually a 30lb case) but would need to feed a little at first and increase with time because hearts are rich and may cause diarrhea at first for a dog who is not used to organ meat.

I'm not sure what your budget is but Walmart now sells ground bison for around the same price as ground beef chuck. This would be a good meat to try for allergic dogs.
    Last edited by anatess; 03-20-2013 at 12:32 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

Why feed ground beef when there are better options out there (i.e. whole cuts of beef)? Not only do you have a higher risk for increased bacteria and salmonella, but you're dog will get little physical or mental stimulation from his meal.

With that said, I don't think it is necessarily unsafe; I just think you're better off with some other type of beef.

11. Likes Michael Colosimo liked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & in extended family his dad Diesel & cousin Odessa
    Likes (Received)

Hello, I am picking up our EB pup in a couple weeks, he will be 8weeks old. Breeder is putting the litter on Royal Puppy food and I intend on raw and home cook feeding, would it be ok to start him out on raw when we bring him home or would that be too fast of a change when he just started eating solids? Also, is it safe to feed chicken with bones to such a small puppy? I'm thinking ground might be the way to go? Should I include veggies and brown rice or do you only introduce chicken alone first? Great thread, it is really informative.

Real Name
    Jason
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hugo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa View Post
    Hello, I am picking up our EB pup in a couple weeks, he will be 8weeks old. Breeder is putting the litter on Royal Puppy food and I intend on raw and home cook feeding, would it be ok to start him out on raw when we bring him home or would that be too fast of a change when he just started eating solids? Also, is it safe to feed chicken with bones to such a small puppy? I'm thinking ground might be the way to go? Should I include veggies and brown rice or do you only introduce chicken alone first? Great thread, it is really informative.
    This is exactly why i am reading this thread, im in the same position. Did you ever do this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads