Fish?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We are still a few weeks off from trying any type of fish/seafood but I wondered if anyone else can offer up their experiences with the raw feeding of fish and seafood items? I've read about sardines but not much else. What do you feed and with how much frequency?

Thanks in advance!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I mostly feed tinned sardines in spring water. I do have herrings in the freezer but haven't fed them yet. At the beginning of 'fish phase' I fed them tilapia minus the head.. Or was it mackerel, can't recall. The loved it, however I could not get over my anxiety over small pointy bones so I stick to the sardines.

People choose fish that are high in omega 3s and very low in mercury.

Last edited by a moderator:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I feed salmon once a week, but give salmon oil almost every day. This salmon doesn't go down well and usually gets only half eaten. I've tryed other fish as well but Usko just gives me the look....you got to be kiddin'...

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I saw a comment about salmon oil in another post (to help lessen shedding). Can I ask where you get yours from? I wasn't sure if you could use a capsule like you would find in a health store or if it should be purchased especially for dogs.

[MENTION=3904]Poppy[/MENTION]...thanks for the link! Reading your posts and experiences with your bulldogs has been super helpful in my raw feeding adventures :)

I'm waiting for [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] to give me her experience as well! I look to you guys for guidence!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I buy salmon oil that is for dogs. I'm sure that most good pets shops have good variety of oils to choose from. I usually get http://grizzlypetproducts.com/ I also give him cod liver oil. Any way the liquid kind is easier to mix is the food than trying to give capsules.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I give fish occasionally and only those that are high in omega 3s such as salmon and sardines. I tend to cut the hard fins off though. From what I read, since it is not really an essential piece of a wolf's diet, you don't necessarily need to feed it all the time. All the nutrients they need should be received from the 80-10-10 rule, be that you're feeding a variety of proteins and trying to get all animal pieces (except weight bearing bones, etc, etc). No need to feed fish that do not have high Omega3s. If you do supplement with fish oil, make sure it's wild caught. It's recommended that they do not contain soy and tocopherols, a difficult find I must admit.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i feed an awful lot of grass fed ox heart lol i just had a mental picture of ox hearts grazing in a field!!,anyway grass fed beef /ox is the richest in omegas ,i dont give annie fish too much as she reacts to it,so cant help with the salmon oil ,karen

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I mostly feed tinned sardines in spring water. I do have herrings in the freezer but haven't fed them yet. At the beginning of 'fish phase' I fed them tilapia minus the head.. Or was it mackerel, can't recall. The loved it, however I could not get over my anxiety over small pointy bones so I stick to the sardines.

People choose fish that are high in omega 3s and very low in mercury. Check raw websites for more info,[/URL]

I agree with Poppy. I haven't tried the fish yet, but this is how we plan on going with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.