Well that was...interesting. LOL

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I did a little more reading on the starting of the raw diet so I knew what to do.

I gave Tank a chicken quarter to see how he did with it. He looooved it of course cause he's a bulldog dumpster! He did really great in my opinion. He was holding it with his paws and chewing up the bones. It seemed to go really well. He did start to swallow and then regurgitate a few times....and that was...well....not like watching him eat kibble! LOL I did feed him outside just in case we got messy and I'm glad I did!

I tried to give my boyfriends malamute/husky mix a chicken quarter but she wasn't having it. She's a princess and can't be bothered with uncooked food. :D

So here's to hoping this will be a good healthy experience for Tank!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Awesome! Tank will love it! You will notice improvements to his coat an stool soon! My older dogs took a while to get used to raw. Now they love it and prefer it 1000% over kibble. Your husky might just need to have some extra time. Try to maybe feed her just the muscle for a few days. Keep us posted!

Ana

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank finished his piece then stole Sookie's piece! It's good to see him enthusiastic about this though. :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
well done you and tank,remember take it very slow,i know from experience that we like to see them eat raw so we get a bit over enthusiastic lol,karen

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yes Karenben...I must admit that I didn't try very hard to get that other chicken quarter back from him. Today he will be eating away from Sookie! Lol He did good through the night, no upset stomach or vomiting and we still haven't seen any poops. I do have a question about the organ meats. Do I start introducing it in a mega small amount this week or wait till we are 2 weeks in with the chicken? Thanks for all the help. I appreciate the words of encouragement and tips!

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We did well today! He had his chicken quarter and a small piece of chicken liver (probably about 1/2 a liver). He was ready and waiting as soon as he saw me pull out the big package of chicken. He snarfed down the liver. I noticed he doesn't seem as thirsty as he normally is. Usually after eating his kibble he would drink a bunch of water. After he eats the raw meat he doesn't go for the water bowl at all.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Sounds like Tank is doing great! My ladies don't really seem to like their poultry completely raw (I sear the outsides). But they love the meaty pork neck bones I found for $.69/lb.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION], you will notice a significant decrease in thirst.. My dogs drink very very little water.. there is a lot of water content in raw fresh food and as long as your dog is peeing, you know he is getting fluids.. sounds like you are doing awesome!! how are his stools, have you noticed an improvement?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
organs are very rich so be careful of the amount you feed,if he can take them now then go ahead but be prepared for the runs just in case lol,sounds like hes taking to raw just fine,karen

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Still going well. Stools are good. Not runny or anything, just firm and I can see small bits of bone but I understand this is normal at this point. Just a chicken quarter today...no liver ;)

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I give mine liver everyday or liver and kidneys, just about 10% of their total intake.. I'm glad he is doing good. Any difference in his coat? smell? allergies? etc?

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
His coat feels softer to me. And maybe it's just me but he seems to have a little more bounce in his step! He even sleeps better. He used to wake me up about once a night...wanting to go outside or whining but now he is sound asleep all night just snoring away. I really think this new diet is doing him some good! :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont feed raw but i am enjoying your story of how yours is doing. kudos to you for doing it. im interested but just cant seem to do it. if i did it would probably be prepackaged raw. but i admire people that are doing it. i may end up going the dehydrated food route. awsome and thanks for telling your story here.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Cowsmom....I didn't know if I could start it and stick with it but I really have to say that it's tons easier than I thought it would be. It seems that doing it the prey model way just lets your dog do what nature intended dogs to do. It's fun for me too because I am a bargain hunter so it's a challenge to see what kinds of meat I can get and see if I can make the price better than kibble (which can be done!). I am starting to fill our basement freezer with backstock for when we branch out beyond chicken. Yay! I bet you could do it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.