Raw Diet...What Kind of Meat and How Much?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have been reading through posts and from what I am seeing, most bullies start on chicken for a couple weeks till they get used to it. Then how do you decide where to go from there? After the chicken do they start getting muscle meat right away? And how much should I give Tank? Do you go by weight/age? I have so many questions?! I will look at the yahoo raw feeding groups but I would like to get some info from the group here first :)

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I have been reading through posts and from what I am seeing, most bullies start on chicken for a couple weeks till they get used to it. Then how do you decide where to go from there? After the chicken do they start getting muscle meat right away? And how much should I give Tank? Do you go by weight/age? I have so many questions?! I will look at the yahoo raw feeding groups but I would like to get some info from the group here first :)

The yahoo group is the place i found a lot of my info thanks to [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] :luv: But it is usually 2 to 4 percent of your bully's adult body weight. I feed Matilda 1.5 to 2 pounds of raw a day.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Start with skinless chicken until you have at least a few weeks of solid poos. I say skinless because 80% of dogs are fine with the skin but you don't want to be caught in the 20% that get cannon butt! Once they are used to the raw diet, then start leaving the skin on. Once you are ready for other proteins, add them one at a time, verrrry slowly. Beef is probably the next best option, followed by lamb/pork/game/fish. Offal is the last part of the diet, and this has to be added very slowly, 1 inch cubes to a meal, and see how they take to it. Again some dogs are fine, but it's very rich so likely to make them runny if they get too much.

Last edited:

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
This link will help with everything you need to know:

***Links Deleted***

Last edited by a moderator:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Generally, the amount you feed should be 2-4% of the adult body weight, depending on their activity level and such. A sled dog needs more food than our bullies for example. I feed my guys 1 to 1.4lbs of food a day. Any more they tend to get runny poops. Stig has been 46.8lbs for the last year or so and Punkin's steadying at 47.8 lbs.

How my guys started is a little different from what's usually recommended. We first learned about raw from their daycare owner and she said that, although it's different from the 'normal' steps, she noticed most of her dogs did well when she switched them to different proteins faster. She's been doing raw for at least a decade.

I started my guys with a chicken frame and green tripe. The frame is mainly for them to get used to the chewing and to control their bowel movements. The green tripe is to ease them into the transition and help with digestion - it also has many other benefits including being high in probiotics. After approx 4 days, I introduced another meat. Can't recall exactly which one, but most likely turkey (w/ bone). Then another couple of days, venison, and then goat the next (Again, can't recall the specifics). A small amount of organs were introduced during the protein change, which they both did well on.

As time went by, I reduced the amount of bone intake, trying to follow the 80-10-10 ratio. 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organs (5% max liver, 5% any other organ).

Last edited:

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I have two 16 week old pups, I feed my male 1.8 lbs a day and my female 1.6 lbs a day just on estimates from their adult weight, they have been steadily gaining weight, and are not overweight at all. He is about 3 lbs heavier than her, but she is longer and taller.. just a more narrow frame. I have a commercial grinder, so I have been mostly grinding the mix of chicken, some beef, some pork and offal (I use beef/chicken liver and kidneys). I am now trying to get them to chew the bone, so I gave them turkey necks. They are still getting their teeth in and have not been able to finish the necks, but I will introduce other bones and continue to grind stuff until they can do both interchangeably. I also give them elk antlers for chewing between meals.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks for all the replies. I'm excited to get started!!!

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Alright, I purchased some chicken quarters (thigh and leg piece attatched). How shall I go about starting this tomorrow? Should I try to break it apart a little or just let them go for it? I will remove the skin but is there anything else I should do? If anyone has any Kroger or Food 4 Less stores in their area, they have chicken quarters in 10lb bags for about 59 cents a lb!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I started by holding one end of the chicken and letting them chew it, then just giving it to them after about 5 days of this. If your dog is a gulper you can try smashing the bones a bit to break them apart, not sure what is used to do this because I never did but I imagine it's like a meat tenderizer? Don't worry if something goes down that seems big, they will either throw it up and eat it again (part of their learning curve I guess), or pass it normally. It always comes out the other end! I found my girl swallows chicken necks but chews backs and thighs like a champ.

If you have multiple dogs then start out feeding them separately.. I found this helped me. Raw food is of higher value to dogs and can cause chaos if there's a few of them fighting for your attention. After a couple of weeks it should be ok to feed them together again as long as they understand they need to be as calm as possible before dinner.

Don't know if I mentioned but it's helpful to have an old towel designated for feeding. The one I used NEVER ends up slimy, they are so greedy they will clean everything off it. Then you can fold it up and use it a couple more times before washing it on an express cycle. You could also feed in the crate, I use a vinegar solution in a spray bottle to wipe everything off afterwards.

roxNjames

Oct 13, 2011
Aren't chicken bones and what not fatal for dogs in general? I've grown up and told this my whole life. And compared to a high end kibble diet (taste of the wild) to a basic raw diet (chicken and green tripe) is the raw more expensive?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
the thing with raw is learn to walk before you learn to run,i say this as a lot of dog owners make the mistake of rushing the dog which usually leads to runs and then they blame the raw and stop feeding it,stick to 1 protien and go slow remember it can take months of raw to sort out health problems if there are any,good luck im sure you will both enjoy this way of feeding,karen

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Aren't chicken bones and what not fatal for dogs in general? I've grown up and told this my whole life. And compared to a high end kibble diet (taste of the wild) to a basic raw diet (chicken and green tripe) is the raw more expensive?

To answer your question, no RAW chicken bones are soft and pliable and perfectly fine for a dog to eat, especially after their stomach acids adjust to raw food. COOKED bones however should never be given to dogs.

In terms of raw and kibble comparisons, it really depends on the dog and the owner. Most raw feeders have dogs with allergies and other medical problems that require being able to control everything that goes into your dog. As an owner of 2 dogs that had some reactions to kibble (but not severe) I'm just so pleased with the overall benefits. Less poop, less gas, more energy, clear skin, shiny coats, no bulldog breath, etc.

Price wise, yes, at the beginning it is more expensive. Once you wrap your head around it, do your research, and make connections; either w. local butchers, hunters, or co-ops, then it is the same price if not cheaper than kibble. It depends on if the benefits outweighs the effort it takes for you, and if your dog is uncomfortable on its current diet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.