Question for the Raw Feeders About Bones???

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am very intrigued by the raw diet and would love to start my guy on one. I do have a question about the chicken though. From what I have read it seems that chicken backs are the way to start but I've always heard how you never give a dog chicken bones because they splinter. Have I been misinformed??? Lol I read a post or two mentioning the bones but I have to know....is it okay? Do you do anything special when dealing with different cuts of chicken? Tank is a dumpster when it comes to food...he seriously doesn't discriminate...he will beg for a carrot lol....so I wouldn't want him to woof down a chicken bone and choke.

Thanks ahead of time for answers! :)

Dayna524

Sep 4, 2011
South Bend,IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci
raw bones are ok. Cooked bones not ok. My dogs have been on since around Thanksgiving. They are doing wonderfully. My older american bulldog had yuck mouth. After the bone chewing it has disapeared. My english bulldog is a bit of a gulper, but is still thriving. I started with chicken backs. I would actually start with leg quarters though. Less bone. More meat.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Search "Prey Model" for more information. Cooked chicken bones splinter. They can't have weight bearing bones, like thighs from large animals like cows, because the are too hard. My ladies chew chicken leg bones right up like nothing. I think they started around Thanksgiving also. At first they just sort of looked at me and didn't know what to do. They are 8 months and 6 months old. Bones are important for the calcium and tooth and jaw health. They both look wonderful and are nice and soft.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
As stated Raw bones are ok. Whether chicken, beef, rabbit, venison.....whatever you may want to feed..Cooked bones are bad. Just make sure the meal includes bone. Without the bone the stool will be very soft and most likely diarrhea.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
dont forget that the bone should be the correct size for the dogs mouth so wouldstart with chicken backs ,i do give my dog chicken wings but i do break the bones in these first,she handles a lot of boneless meals as she has a cast iron stomache and has been on raw for 9 months now ,but as stated above if no bone is added there could be runs,if at the moment your not ready to feed bone you could add egg shell it will do the same job as bone but without the teeth cleaning,karen

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
That makes sense. Thank-you! I'll have to get ahold of some of the meat markets in town and see if they have what I need. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online