The Ladies have started on a raw meat diet

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
We've thought about since before we even got them, but until recently, I haven't had much time to look into it. I just want to feed them healthy and have been concerned about all the junk they put in commercial pet food. And the expense as well. I fed them turkey necks this morning. They were so cute. They had no idea what to do with them. We decided to feed them away from each other so that there would be no issues. Liz is almost 8 months and has her adult teeth. Amy is almost 6 months and is still getting them in. Consequently, Liz eats faster. She usually only takes treats away from Amy, but I didn't want no trouble, if you get my drift.

It took almost an hour for them to eat because at first they didn't know what to do. They sort of licked the meat and kept looking at us, like what the hay! Then Amy took hers into her crate and tried to get serious. I thought that was a great idea, so I took Liz's food and put it in her crate. She finally figured it out and finished in about 2 minutes. So I gave her more. She refused the 4th piece, so I gave that to Amy. Immediately Liz regretted her decision, but I knew she wasn't hungry, she just wants whatever Amy has. Amy caught on as well and ate her second piece much quicker. They split just over a pound of turkey necks.

Tomorrow I will go around and try to find a good butcher who will sell me stuff CHEAP! I couldn't find a co-op in my area, so I may take the plunge and start one. Okay, now I am nervous.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good for you and your bullies!! Best of luck with it and keep us posted on their progress.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks for your story, you should be a writer ! I was able to visualize the whole meal!

Keep us posted on their progress, and we have many resident raw feeders here who can help you along the way!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
How exciting! When I first gave my bullies turkey necks, Bunk chewed and munched like a champ. Poppy of course swallowed the whole thing, threw up, and gave it another try (5 times!!).

OP
luseaann

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Well, I lied. Haven't made it to any butcher, but I did get a variety of vittles for the ladies that were reduced in price. From what I've been reading, people try to keep the cost of meat to around $1/lb. I found a huge bag of chicken leg quarters for $.69 and other marked down meats as well. It's funny, but I've been reading some posts from others where they talk about measuring their puppies food. Hmmm. My breeder said not to worry about that because Liz never overate, she just ate until she was full. I found that to be true. I always fed her either home cooked food or from cans and then left the kibble out for her to eat at will. When we got Amy, she just went along with everything. At first, she didn't want any part of dog treats, but she likes them now. So I just feed them a little more than I think they should have. If there is anything they don't eat, I put it in the fridge for tomorrow. They still look at me as if I am weird for not cooking their food, but they eat. They spend a whole lot more time eating, which I think is good. Gives Dad time to eat without four beady eyes staring at him.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I tried the turkey necks yesterday on my 4 month old bullies yesterday. They are still getting their teeth so it took them a long time. I have had them on raw since i got them but have always ground up their stuff.. They looked at me like i was crazy!! I can see them learning quick though :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
here in the uk i find that ox heart is the cheapest meat so thats annies main meat then i add beef,lamb,organs ,fish once weekly ,i did stop the fish at one time as she reacted to it or so i thought lol,so just find the cheapest meat then add a bit of the more expensive meats,karen

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.