Poppy & Bunks Raw Diet Journal

OP
Poppy

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Well back from vacation to a pleasant surprise. I gave my friend the patties to feed the dogs while they were watching them. It was ground whole carcasses of beef and elk, zero chicken. Well they were given this for 2 weeks, plus some nylabones and other chews for their teeth, and they are SOO clean and shiny and soft now. They have always had impressive coats since raw, but this is a whole other level. And ZERO tear stains, plus no gunk in the nose rope. My friend didn't wipe them once!

I always had my suspicions about them being sensitive to chicken, especially Poppy. Any time she got whole chicken meals for a week she would have a duller coat, and Bunks tear stains get slightly redder. It's a very small change and sometimes hard to catch because I try to feed a varied diet. Anyway 2 weeks without chicken and Bunk is white and fluffy like the first day I picked him up. I'll try to take a photo of him tomorrow for comparisons.

A part of me is annoyed because chicken is the cheapest protein! I'll still feed chicken backs since there's hardly any meat, just bones for shiny teeth and fat for energy. And maybe a chicken leg once a week, mixed in with beef and elk.

Don't want to put anyone off chicken out there, it's cheap and a good meal for them if they have no sensitivities to it. I also want to be clear that I didn't mind the raw aspect nor was I afraid of bacteria. Wash your hands, clean surfaces with a vinegar spray, and don't eat dog poop, lol!

ziviabell

May 22, 2011
Orange County, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hershie
This was great info! Thank you. I have my dog on Nature's Variety medalions but would like to go totally raw. How do you know how much to give and how much do you give? Thanks, again.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
chicken is often the culprit as its usually sodium enhanced ,i stopped giving it to annie weeks ago ,unless i can get some cheap free range chickens to try,karen

OP
Poppy

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Some recent meals.. I only feed tripe once a week btw..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332724987.931887.jpg
Beef hearts, tripe, organs & Greek yogurt

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332725010.797617.jpg
Chicken hearts, organs, and an egg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332725059.781313.jpg
Sardines, organs, and tripe

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332725040.975528.jpg
Pork shoulder that was on sale for $1/lb. I must have bought 30 lbs I got so excited. Fed this in the yard so no cleanup :)

OP
Poppy

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I also feed bones outside so no pix, I'll have to remember for next time.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
when annie has her rabbit i feed her in her crate but she only needs very little bone content to keep her poops firm so its no big deal feeding her bone ,karen

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
The more I read about raw feeding the more it makes sense. How do you guys feed you dogs? For them to eat wouldn't it be a mess on the floor. And if they use their paws to help hold the piece of meat do you wash their paws after every meal

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if im feeding bone meal say rabbit then i feed her in the crate or outside if the weather is good ,living in the uk that doesnt happen very often lol,otherwise she eats boneless meals from her bowl,after a bone meal i just wipe her feet with milton ,i always wipe her face after a meal even when kibble fed ,karen

bilyjo

Sep 12, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
kutta
Hi karenben, You are right it all depends on weather.By the way if a person care well after meal , Then there is no problem.After all you are careful about this and watson should wash their feet after a meal so that dogs can be clean well.and it is no chance to come any germs . So you should follow the instruction. thanks all

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I always skim through ketty editing com for help so that I can do well in future.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.