Raw Fed with Tear Stains

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Samson has been raw fed since he was about 12 weeks old and is now almost 9 months. He's growing well, he's 58 lbs (not fat at all, just a big boy.) My only problem has become that he's getting rusty tear stains in the creases near his eyes. He does have cherry eye on one of his eyes, which we'll correct when he's neutered (in 6 months or so.) Is the issue resulting from the cherry eye (because it's worse on the cherry eye side, but still obvious on the other), or do you think from his diet? He doesn't drink a lot of water (because of the raw diet), for the most part his diet consists of chicken leg quarters, liver (beef and chicken), gizzards (turkey and chicken), chicken hearts, beef roasts, pork roasts, fish, etc. Do any other raw feeders have issue with specific cuts of meat? I clean his wrinkles every other day with Mal-a-Ket wipes or just regular baby wipes depending on how messy he gets. I just recently started using corn starch on his wrinkles to help dry them. Below is a picture so that you can see on his good eye the stains.

006.jpg027.jpg

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont raw feed but i will tag some that do and maybe they can help. @karenben @GatorRay @savemejeebus [MENTION=2150]MatildasMommy[/MENTION] . i believe one of our raw feeders had a problem with pork or some meat with one of her dogs so yes i believe they can be allergic to certain raw meats. maybe just do one protein like chicken and then add in more as you can to see if one is causing the problem. sorry i cant help more but someone will be along soon to help. if i remember more raw feeders ill come back and tag them. good luck.

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I don't raw feed either, but I am sure one here that does will let you know. I am sure that allergies can appear in any form of food.

ziviabell

May 22, 2011
Orange County, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hershie
I feed my dog raw, but I stopped giving her chicken because I read that some bullies are allergic to chicken. It has helped to stop her tearing.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
@ Mod85 first off, your bully is gorgeous!!! I :heart: his color. For the tear stains, i am not much help. Matilda has stains too. I think it might be her eye lashes. Her right eye waters constantly.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
annie had a cherry eye done when she was 6 months old and that eye weeps, the other eye is fine,so even though she no longer has cherry eye it has left problems with dampness,i tend to manage the problem by simply blotting her fold then putting sudocrem on her fold, to be honest there are very few bulldogs who dont have dampness/tear stains and all you can do is maintain the folds so as not to cause irritation,karen

Chad M Lane

Mar 26, 2011
A lot of times it has to do with the water as well, water with high PH like mine 8-8.2PH (REALLY HIGH) can and does cause tear stains, I now use filtered and/or bottled water for my dogs.
Rambo has very little staining now, he has a known high allergy to cooked/processed chicken, but has no problem with raw chicken what so ever, I can feed it two weeks straight, and not feed it without affecting tear stains. Raw protein allergy's can happen, but are much more rare to cooked protein allergy's. Though I give my dogs a very wide variety to help avoid developed allergy's they hardly get the same thing 2-3 days in a row.

Cheers,
Chad

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2615]Mod85[/MENTION] I'm sorry but I too do not raw feed, but it may be worth taking out the chicken. I say this because when I fed the Fromm (which is a very good food) chicken flavour we hd a very bad reaction for Maggie.

So try taking out the chicken but I would also certainly consider that the side with the cherry eye is worse purely because it is causing more tearing. Normally I would have said don't change the food until the surgery is done so you can work out what is the cause. However, as the surgery won't be done for 6 months you could take out the chicken and still have a few months to see what effect this has.

OP
Mod85

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Thanks for the help guys. It's just his eyes, and it doesn't seem to bother him at all - he's not itchy and his coat looks amazing. I'll try filtered water before I remove chicken from his diet completely.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i am also going to buy a filter for my tap to filter my water as well. i decided that a few days ago. cant hurt really. sarah does fine on chicken but i know many dont but she doesnt have a problem with it. ive also heard of dogs having a kibble allergy to something but not to being raw fed it. good luck hope they clear up soon.

Dante

Jul 20, 2011
Hi, i raw feed my 9 month old bully, he is 48lbs now and also has tear stains. On my recent visit the the AKC dog show, i talked to a couple of bully breaders and they all told me that stains are related to water. They all give destilled water to the show bulldogs. I just bought Angel Eyes to kill the bacteria that causes the brown markings and the oddor. At the same time i will be swithcing to destilled water.
IMG_0689.jpgIMG_0809.jpgIMG_0831.jpgIMG_0832.jpg

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online