A question for raw feeders

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
That is an AWESOME guide! Thank you so much! :up: I'm hoping this will help her hair loss. Cephalexin hasn't helped at all... it's actually worse than when the vet came to see her. I joined a yahoo group a few days ago , but haven't gotten to look around as much as I would like. I read that they drink less water, but I don't think I've seen her drink at all for 2 days and am getting worried. We now leave it on the kitchen floor for her while we are at work, but it doesn't look like it is going down at all.

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
That is an AWESOME guide! Thank you so much! :up: I'm hoping this will help her hair loss. Cephalexin hasn't helped at all... it's actually worse than when the vet came to see her. I joined a yahoo group a few days ago , but haven't gotten to look around as much as I would like. I read that they drink less water, but I don't think I've seen her drink at all for 2 days and am getting worried. We now leave it on the kitchen floor for her while we are at work, but it doesn't look like it is going down at all.

I'm having the same worry with Roscoe. He's hardly drinking any water now. I think he's licked at it twice in the last two days.
I'm hoping it will help with his face issues. It seems like no matter what food I try his face stays red and crusty.

Thank you so much [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] for all your help!:luv: I'll try chicken quarters with him tonight and see if that will slow him down. He's always been a gulper with his kibble too. Silly boy acts like he hasn't eat in DAYS.

Chad M Lane

Mar 26, 2011
"i dont always freeze pork and never had a problem but its all down to personal choice,karen"
I guess it's personal choice to put our animals at risk or not. Of course not all pork as worms, nor do worms always cause problems in healthy dogs, but the risk is still there, so I chose to avoid it as much as possible.
There is risk in all types of feeding, I've seen dogs, choke and die eating kibble to fast, dogs have died from cooked bones, dogs have died from raw bones though much more rare than cooked. It's a risk we all take when we decide what to feed out beloved animals.

I also freeze all salmonids (Trout, Steal-Head, Salmon etc.) for at least a few days do avoid Salmon poising which is caused by a lung fluke in the meat of Salmon again it's my choice to try and avoid these problems that can happen. Besides wild game I'll feed everything else fresh when I buy it, but I normally buy in bulk.

Cheers,
Chad

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Ok, I found another post that's useful. Still can't locate the one I read before, loved it because it listed all the different bones and meat. Going to keep on looking.

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i dont see that im putting my dog at risk,been 9 months raw feeding now ,all her meat is human grade and i do give her pork steak,i used to freeze but when you read up more on raw feeding and all the raw feeders who have raw fed for many years then you change the way you feed and dont panic as much,karen

Chad M Lane

Mar 26, 2011
Odd I've found the exact opposite to be true with 25+ year RAW feeders telling me to freeze certain foods. As I said there is risk at everything, and in healthy dogs worms don't always cause a problem, I just choose to try to avoid the risk. As I said I only make sure I freeze three items out of dozens I feed my dogs for extended times before feeding, pork, wild game, and salmonids.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, if I came off that way I apologize I'm just letting you/others know what could happen. I personally may be new to feeding my dogs Prey Model Raw at only three months into it, but I have worked with, spoken to, poeple that have fed raw longer than most, for 10+ years now.

Cheers,
Chad

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
no apology needed,we all feed our dogs with different views on raw feed,i used to feed veg but after research i no longer do but i do feed a seed mixture for her coat /skin which i thought i would never do ,so we evolve when feeding raw,karen

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
@jortiz9758 Can you recommend a good meat grinder? I just started Belly on raw and would like to grind it. Most of them look pretty flimsy.

The Grinder I use is one I got from a butcher friend of mine back when I was living in NY a while ago and Raw feeding my PitBulls. I still have it to this day. Its big and heavy and grinds everything.
You can get something good at Bass Pro shops as someone stated.

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
As long as the meat that you're feeding is RAW you can feed bone, the exception to this would be fish as an occasional cooked fish is ok as the bones do not splinter when cooked (do not feed weight bearing bones from large animal - cows, bison, horse, etc.) 80% Meat, 10% Bone, 5% Liver, and 5% other organ is the percentage that we try to follow each week. When I first started feeding raw we joined the raw feeding facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/261761471359/ which is part of the yahoo raw feed group. The people on the raw feed page are soooo helpful, if you haven't joined I would recommend doing so!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.