Raw Frozen Diets

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi Maximus, there are so many things in the ingredient list of kibble pet food, even the premium ones, that most likely the allergy panel didn't test for. It could be a preservative or another chemical, so I wouldn't depend solely on the test.

But it's really up to you though. I just think that there's no harm in trying a raw-only diet for Max, even if it's the raw-frozen type. If you find that he isn't better after one or two weeks, you can always add the kibble back.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi Maximus, there are so many things in the ingredient list of kibble pet food, even the premium ones, that most likely the allergy panel didn't test for. It could be a preservative or another chemical, so I wouldn't depend solely on the test.

But it's really up to you though. I just think that there's no harm in trying a raw-only diet for Max, even if it's the raw-frozen type. If you find that he isn't better after one or two weeks, you can always add the kibble back.

I will continue the Raw Frozen Diet with Maximus, however, I'm receiving many warnings from people with this diet because it appears to be HIGH CALORIE and may add to Maximus' weight problem. I'm not prepared to go the "Raw Primal Diet" thing. I can't do that. It's not feasible for me at this time.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
High in calorie for raw? Never heard of that. But I do monitor my boys' weight every so often. And whenever I see them gain weight, then I lessen their portion. If they lose, then I add. We go by how they're doing and not the instructions given on the package because it's different for everyone.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
looking back over the posts i noticed a problem with gas and poops,i read through the ingredients and noticed flaxseed,flaxseed can give both of the above symptoms,i was advised to give annie a four seed mix and flaxseed was one of the seeds,she went to a dog with no gas to constantly stinking the place out,i was advised to stop the flaxseed and hey no more gas!!,karen

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I know. Actually I thought Maximus was doing much better on MORE Raw Frozen and LESS dry kibble, but he loves his kibble in the evening, and Yeah I agree, the Raw Frozen Diet is actually supposed to help them maintain a healthy weight - but friends have said that 65-calories per medallion is hefty, and initially I was feeding
Max 12 medallions per day. His poop was small, compact, and he had NO gas at all. As I reduce the number of medallions per day, his poop becomes soft and mushy
and he has terrible gas, so I think I will go back to his regular number of medallion per day and reduce the amount of kibble he gets per day. I also did a calculation
of "Calories" per day - Max's daily caloric requirement is 1133 - he has been getting 964 (444 per cup of dry kibble and 520 for medallions).

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It really does sound like raw is the way for him. I wouldn't worry too much about the calorie intake. Go by what his body shows and reduce or add as needed. It won't hurt him if he eats less one day and more the next as raw's supposed to balance out over time.

If anything, you can always give him veggies or fruits as treats to make up for the calories or hunger.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Belly has been on Vital Essentials raw frozen nuggets for 5 months now and doing super on it. It's based on the prey model . She is about 50 lbs. and get's about 2 1/2 cups a day. Time is my enemy so I don't have any spare to portion out meat from the store and freeze it. She also get's enzymes, pumpkin,grizzly salmon oil and local honey. I recently read an article on FB that said raw feeding cuts back drastically on chances of bloat. :cool2:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.