Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I'm going to be convering Maximus over to a Raw Frozen diet. I just attended the "Meet The Breeds" Exhibition in NYC and had the chance to talk to various
Owners/Breeders regarding nutrition and diets. Most did infact recommend going the Raw Diet route.

Is or has anyone fed their Bulldog any of the Raw, Frozen diets currently available ? and if so, what has your experience been ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Patrick

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have tried Natures Variety, and I would LOVE to try Natures Logic.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I've heard nothing but great things about them. A little too expensive for me, but that's about it for the negatives. G'luck, let us know how it goes!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
can i ask what the diet consists of ive not heard of it,and whats the difference between it and doing your own raw diet?,karen

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
they come as patties all pre-packaged so you wouldn't have to do all of the meat handling that you do if you feed raw otherwise. they have all different types too but they are expensive.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i enjoy buying all the meat and bone,cutting ,sawing,lol,i feel satisfied after ive done it all and its all bagged up in the freezer,weird or what,karen

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I guess I'm just surprised that more people are not using the Raw Frozen Diets. I won't give Maximus meat from a supermarket which is meant for human consumption. That meat is meant to be cooked, and I would never give it to my dog Raw. So I'm sticking with the Raw Frozen Diets that are on the market.
I was just hoping for some feedback from those using the Raw Frozen diets (NVI, Bravo, Primal).....

Chad M Lane

Mar 26, 2011
"I guess I'm just surprised that more people are not using the Raw Frozen Diets. I won't give Maximus meat from a supermarket which is meant for human consumption. That meat is meant to be cooked, and I would never give it to my dog Raw. So I'm sticking with the Raw Frozen Diets that are on the market.
I was just hoping for some feedback from those using the Raw Frozen diets (NVI, Bravo, Primal)....."

That makes no sense what so ever. Meat is meat, either it be for human or a dog, in fact if it's fit for human consumption it's better than dog standards!
As for a premade BARF style raw, Stella & Chewy's, and Primal are my my favorites, Natures Variety is pretty good, but slightly higher in carbs, and contains 15% bone which is a bit on the high end should be closer to 10%.

Much like Karen, I feed Prey Model Raw, I buy human grade meats, organs, etc for them, I also buy in bulk, like I just bought a whole grass-fed organic Lamb that I'll be eating the tenderloin out of, the rest of the 72lbs is for the dogs including organs.

Back to the BARF style, you are going to be paying much more than buying your own meats and organs, you also are going to have no benefit to oral health like Prey Model Raw dogs get. You also are not slowing your dogs down with eating, and doesn't allow enough time to get enzymes working for proper digestion.

I recommend reading these two sites.

http://rawfed.com/myths/index.html

http://www.rawlearning.com/premaderaw.html

Cheers,
Chad

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
"I guess I'm just surprised that more people are not using the Raw Frozen Diets. I won't give Maximus meat from a supermarket which is meant for human consumption. That meat is meant to be cooked, and I would never give it to my dog Raw. So I'm sticking with the Raw Frozen Diets that are on the market.
I was just hoping for some feedback from those using the Raw Frozen diets (NVI, Bravo, Primal)....."

That makes no sense what so ever. Meat is meat, either it be for human or a dog, in fact if it's fit for human consumption it's better than dog standards!
As for a premade BARF style raw, Stella & Chewy's, and Primal are my my favorites, Natures Variety is pretty good, but slightly higher in carbs, and contains 15% bone which is a bit on the high end should be closer to 10%.

Much like Karen, I feed Prey Model Raw, I buy human grade meats, organs, etc for them, I also buy in bulk, like I just bought a whole grass-fed organic Lamb that I'll be eating the tenderloin out of, the rest of the 72lbs is for the dogs including organs.

Back to the BARF style, you are going to be paying much more than buying your own meats and organs, you also are going to have no benefit to oral health like Prey Model Raw dogs get. You also are not slowing your dogs down with eating, and doesn't allow enough time to get enzymes working for proper digestion.

I recommend reading these two sites.

http://rawfed.com/myths/index.html

http://www.rawlearning.com/premaderaw.html

Cheers,
Chad

Maximus is on Nature Variety's Instinct Raw Frozen diet, which he really likes. I tried PRIMAL, and he won't touch it. So far, I'm pleased with the Diet that he's on
and that he enjoys!

Cheers !

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
we do feed our dogs what they will eat and i suppose if your dog wont eat raw then i suppose raw frozen is what you must feed,but if its expensive then why not cook your own up for him and cut out the middle man?,as chad says there will not be much goodness left in the meat when its been cooked so defeats the the purpose of raw feeding ,just my opinion though,karen

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
we do feed our dogs what they will eat and i suppose if your dog wont eat raw then i suppose raw frozen is what you must feed,but if its expensive then why not cook your own up for him and cut out the middle man?,as chad says there will not be much goodness left in the meat when its been cooked so defeats the the purpose of raw feeding ,just my opinion though,karen

Well, I don't feed Maximus cooked food, and I'm not complaining about the cost of the raw frozen diet. Chad agrees that Nature's Variety Instinct's Raw Frozen Diet is pretty good, and so do I.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My understanding is that a lot of raw feeders don't use the patties as it defeats part of the purpose of the Raw Diet. The Raw Diet is trying to bring the dog back to its natural diet before the commercialization of dog food. Grinding meat and bone into patties removes some of the benefits of feeding raw as @Chad M Lane demonstrated above. So, basically, most, if not all, raw feeders made the conscious decision to expend the extra effort to feed the dog its natural diet for the dog's health that breaking down the diet into ground up patties to make it easier (it's definitely not cheaper) is not necessary, if not relatively detrimental.

Note: I haven't tried raw feeding in the US. All our dogs were raw fed when I lived in the Philippines but the culture there is very different. Dogs eat meat left over from the family freezer. Most Filipinos don't buy their meat in prepackaged styrofoam containers. We buy our meat from the wet market where an entire cow/pig/goat/chicken/fish is hanging off pegs or piled on the table and you pick your meat by body part - get me a cow leg please... - and they lop off the entire leg from the hanging cow. So, my mother would bring home a quarter cow, for example, take out the meat she plans to cook for the family, takes the marrows for soup, then leaves the rest for the dogs. As I recall, the dogs eat most of the organs and tendons and a lot of the bones. It is, therefore, completely not following the Prey Model balance.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
If it works for you I say go for it. The problem most raw feeders find with frozen patties is that you don't know how much of what is in it. Most raw feeders follow the 80% protein/10%bone/10%offal model, so, with the patties, it is often not listed. Also there's the matter of bones - their teeth/breath don't get the benefits from chewing raw bones. I guess you could bypass this by giving recreational bones. I have frozen patties for travel and when I'm running short on meat - it's from a local company called Urban Carnivore and the label just says "ground whole chicken carcass" etc.

On the comment about raw meat for human consumption.. what do you think goes into these raw frozen diets if not raw meat??

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i am watching this thread also as ive just discovered that my pet food store has always had nvi raw but now ive seen primal there to. i am also interested in feeding sarah raw but cannot prepare it myself as i have time issues. also can they eat kibble and raw. i dont stay here all the time and my bf would be feeding her to and im not sure he would remember to thaw her food and feed it to her and then wash he bowl and his hands. i know simple enough but i dont know if he would do it. any help would be appreciated. can you do like kibble in the am and primal raw in pm. its a matter of im not here all the time really. and ive heard of things like cannon butt and such. will this kind of raw do that.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.