Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raw Frozen Diets

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Raw Frozen Diets

raw feeding will help with food allergy,less shedding,little or no gas,tear stains,fur,ive been raw feeding 11 months now though im limited to pig /ox/lamb heart,tripe,lamb,beef,eggs, due to annie reacting to fish and white meats ,pork is a red meat so she has that too,i supplement with emu oil,i give her a gorge meal once a week then i fast her for 24 hrs,from monday she is starting 1 meal a day ,annie is thriving ,poops once every 2 days ,teeth pearly white ,i do have a problem getting lamb ribs for teeth cleaning but she chews a lot on her nylibones and i give her eggs to keep her poops firm,its a difficult descision switching to raw and people usually do it when their dog has an allergy to food i know thats why i did it thinking she had an allergy to her kibble you can see how well a dog can be on a raw diet ,the raw balances itself out over the course of time so i dont worry if shes getting all she needs,she also loves liver,kidney,i would love to try lung and spleen but i cant get it here which is a shame,but yes there are definatly many health benefits to raw,karen

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Hey Karen,

I think what you're feeding is RAW-RAW, ya know, Tribal Raw, you are not feeding Commercial Frozen Raw like I am. I'm trying to find other owners who are feeding Commercial Frozen Raw Diets (Like Natures Variety Instinct Frozen Raw, or Mr. Chewy's or any other Commercially prepared Raw Diet).

I am still "fine tuning" the Frozen Raw diet with Maximus because of his weight, and I'm not noticing any weight loss, which says I am feeding to many medallions. plus he gets dry kibble.

Max is still shedding alot, and without his "Probiotic" supplement daily he poop is loose and horrible. Infact, I even contacted Nature's Variety and spoke to them because if anything, the Raw Frozen Diet is supposed to "firm up" and reduce the poop and poop size. I got the reverse when I ran out of Probiotics for Max.

So I'm still fine tuning his diet and would really like to see an overall positive effect to this new diet. He still has gotten ear infections, and his pyoderma, and interdigital cysts are still in poor condition. He sheds alot and I have to brush him daily and still get 10-lbs of fur off him. I was hoping the Raw Diet would have
    improved that.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Maximus - I would personally switch Maximus to all raw and cease giving the kibble portion. I know it's only a small part of his diet, but if he's allergic to anything in it, and he really sounds like he is, then it'll affect him no matter how little you give him. It's like giving a lactose intolerant person a small piece of cheese, you know what happens after ... . With Stig, giving him a few pieces of premium kibble will always result in runny poop. You won't get the full benefit of any food unless it's 100% of his diet. Why don't you try doing it all raw for a week and see how it goes?
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

you really dont know whats in frozen raw you only know exactly what your dog is eating if you buy fresh,prepare it,freeze it and feed,if a dog has so many health issues then the diet is really not doing its job,i agree savemsjeebus and go primal raw,karen

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karenben View Post
    you really dont know whats in frozen raw you only know exactly what your dog is eating if you buy fresh,prepare it,freeze it and feed,if a dog has so many health issues then the diet is really not doing its job,i agree savemsjeebus and go primal raw,karen
    Hi -

Well, I really do know what's in Frozen Raw because it's listed on the bag. I'm comfortable with the quality of Frozen Raw for Maximus. I trust the manufacturer to provide quality, nutritious food. My concern right now is how to get Maximus to lose some weight. The problem I have with the Raw Frozen Diet is that it appears
    to be high-calorie, so you have to watch the amount of medallions you feed. That causes you to have to increase feeding Dry food, which is also a good gluten-free, grain-free food. Maximus weights 78-lbs. His Vet wants him to get down to 55-60-lbs. I'm trying to find the right balance to promote weight loss while maintaining
    health.

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    @Maximus - I would personally switch Maximus to all raw and cease giving the kibble portion. I know it's only a small part of his diet, but if he's allergic to anything in it, and he really sounds like he is, then it'll affect him no matter how little you give him. It's like giving a lactose intolerant person a small piece of cheese, you know what happens after ... . With Stig, giving him a few pieces of premium kibble will always result in runny poop. You won't get the full benefit of any food unless it's 100% of his diet. Why don't you try doing it all raw for a week and see how it goes?
    Hi -

Maximus has had Allergy testing. The Vet drew blood and sent it off for a full panel - it all came back Negative. So it appears Maximus does not have any allergies
    to food items.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi Maximus, there are so many things in the ingredient list of kibble pet food, even the premium ones, that most likely the allergy panel didn't test for. It could be a preservative or another chemical, so I wouldn't depend solely on the test.

But it's really up to you though. I just think that there's no harm in trying a raw-only diet for Max, even if it's the raw-frozen type. If you find that he isn't better after one or two weeks, you can always add the kibble back.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    Hi Maximus, there are so many things in the ingredient list of kibble pet food, even the premium ones, that most likely the allergy panel didn't test for. It could be a preservative or another chemical, so I wouldn't depend solely on the test.

But it's really up to you though. I just think that there's no harm in trying a raw-only diet for Max, even if it's the raw-frozen type. If you find that he isn't better after one or two weeks, you can always add the kibble back.
    I will continue the Raw Frozen Diet with Maximus, however, I'm receiving many warnings from people with this diet because it appears to be HIGH CALORIE and may add to Maximus' weight problem. I'm not prepared to go the "Raw Primal Diet" thing. I can't do that. It's not feasible for me at this time.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

High in calorie for raw? Never heard of that. But I do monitor my boys' weight every so often. And whenever I see them gain weight, then I lessen their portion. If they lose, then I add. We go by how they're doing and not the instructions given on the package because it's different for everyone.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

looking back over the posts i noticed a problem with gas and poops,i read through the ingredients and noticed flaxseed,flaxseed can give both of the above symptoms,i was advised to give annie a four seed mix and flaxseed was one of the seeds,she went to a dog with no gas to constantly stinking the place out,i was advised to stop the flaxseed and hey no more gas!!,karen

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

I know. Actually I thought Maximus was doing much better on MORE Raw Frozen and LESS dry kibble, but he loves his kibble in the evening, and Yeah I agree, the Raw Frozen Diet is actually supposed to help them maintain a healthy weight - but friends have said that 65-calories per medallion is hefty, and initially I was feeding
    Max 12 medallions per day. His poop was small, compact, and he had NO gas at all. As I reduce the number of medallions per day, his poop becomes soft and mushy
    and he has terrible gas, so I think I will go back to his regular number of medallion per day and reduce the amount of kibble he gets per day. I also did a calculation
    of "Calories" per day - Max's daily caloric requirement is 1133 - he has been getting 964 (444 per cup of dry kibble and 520 for medallions).

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It really does sound like raw is the way for him. I wouldn't worry too much about the calorie intake. Go by what his body shows and reduce or add as needed. It won't hurt him if he eats less one day and more the next as raw's supposed to balance out over time.

If anything, you can always give him veggies or fruits as treats to make up for the calories or hunger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads